Value of old Machinist apprenticeship volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally printed in 1957, reprinted in 1981.

ICS Intex, Custom assembled training program.

It comes in twelve binders, each binder has 4 or five books. It ranges from everything from trigonometry, cutting spiral gears, tape controlled machine tools, to operation of milling machines and lathes. In depth details on fixture/Jig layouts for a tool and dye maker.

I can't seem to find any reference to this literature online, but my Father paid a lot of money for these books. They are very interesting, because they were printed in '57.

Last edited:
You're talking about an apprenticeship program to become a machinist. They don't have machinists like that any more, only machine operators. There may not be anymore apprenticeship programs in existence today, just programs to teach a machine operator where the on/off switch is and how it operates. There job is to watch the machine and make sure it does not run out of cutting oil and then turn if off when the operation is complete. Then they load the next piece and watch it, again. After doing this several times in a row they then take a break or go to lunch. After several cycles like this they then go home.

All that other stuff about tools, cutting speeds and angles, measuring, making a first cut, witness marks and stuff like that is all old school. It was called craftsmanship and trade craft and now they do things the modern way, instead.

OneEyeJack, these are orientated to the Tool and Dye maker, not the "production floor" machinist. I still have no clue as to the value of these books, which is my question.

Let me be clear, NOT the value for a New machinist, but the actual value of the books, the rarity and information contained for a hobbyist or collector.

I can see these being very useful for a home shop, which would use such equipment if found(at auctions) my Uncle had a 1890 lathe tooled up to 1970's tech., even repoured the babbit bearings, a shaper, a vert./hor. mill,etc. These books are useful for the home shop, that can't afford much. and has to make their own.

Last edited:
What are they worth in this day and age ? ? ?
Don't be offended, but I would say - nothing.

If your Father was a Tool & Die Maker, save the books as a memory of the knowledge he knew / and how he earned a living to raise his family.

Trigonometry is interesting to learn.
It's figuring out Angles and Distances.
I'm fascinated that people a couple hundred years ago figured that all out.

Fun Fact: Around the World, 68 degrees F is the standard temperature at which to (most accurately) measure machined parts.
As a 'close tolerance' part gets warmer, its size increases.
Just the heat from your fingers will throw off the size of when measuring Gage Blocks.
I'm talking Millions of an Inch.

Edit: It's scary just throwing the books in the trash.
You have to ask yourself, "will this now be lost knowledge for future generations ? ? ?"

Last edited:
Maybe try contacting a few trade schools, I'm sure an "old school" prof/teacher/instructor could give you an idea of value.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Maybe try contacting a few trade schools, I'm sure an "old school" prof/teacher/instructor could give you an idea of value.

That's a good idea, like a High School.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
What are they worth in this day and age ? ? ?
Don't be offended, but I would say - nothing.

Probably right. You would be surprised how little old books fetch unless they are super special.
But take the effort to find out.

I really would have loved to work in a machine shop. My grandpa took me to a few local ones that he hired to make parts when he worked for AeroSpacelines and then Tracor. When I started taking automotive classes in college, I really enjoyed the head and block machining parts of the engine rebuild course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back