Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: dave123
It's one thing to listen to a well built engine but for the most part 99% sound like just a loud POS.

There will always be people in this world, that "think" something about someone that should be changed but it never involves the one who thinks.
Translated, there are always people who want you to behave as they do.

We escaped that a few hundred years ago when we left England to this land.
You obviously don't understand what a right or a privilege is.

It's one thing to listen to a well built engine but for the most part 99% sound like just a loud POS.

There will always be people in this world, that "think" something about someone that should be changed but it never involves the one who thinks.
Translated, there are always people who want you to behave as they do.

We escaped that a few hundred years ago when we left England to this land.
You obviously don't understand what a right or a privilege is.

Obviously you need to reread my post and don't tell me I dont know what a right and privilege is.
I don't like loud open pipes and there are laws against them in all vehicles but a government mandate that I have to use the pipes from the manufacturer only is just another government mandate and that is what the OP suggests.
BTW, I have stock pipes. I can tell you, I drive a 1000 miles a week in a work vehicle, if there is a bike with louder pipes it is unmistakable if he/she is along side of me, there is something to be said for that, however, the loud open pipes are not for me.

Last edited:
Why isn't there noise laws for airplanes? I hear them more the motorcycle exhausts. Why do people more close to a drag strip, then campaign to shut the track down because it annoys them? Should they put mufflers on Nascar racers?. How about offshore race boats?. The whine of weed wacker's and leaf blowers is more annoying and can be heard for longer periods of time then motorcycle pipes.They should quiet them down because almost everybody has one of those annoying things. Some people would complain if they got hung with a new rope.,,

Bright headlights are much more of an annoyance than loud exhausts. I'm blinded half the time... which is actually a safety issue.

I bought my FZ1 with a GYTR slip on and not more than two weeks went by before I bought an fleabay baffle.

It was a little work to disassemble the slip on and install the baffle, but the reduced noise was well worth it.

For those that say "pipe shoot noise backwards while the threat is ahead". When I go to the drags and the street bikes race....some Harleys included, you sure as heck can hear them coming sitting down by the finish line.

Last edited:
Too loud and too bright are relative terms, but if the lawmaker neither sets nor enforces limits, do you think all vehicle owners will voluntarily make reasonable choices? Noise and safety issues would abound. Society should set limits and I'm not even advocating that the rules must be the same out in th desert as in a densely populated area. Personal freedom is a noble goal, but only as long one person's freedom doesn't infringe on the next person's well-being.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
For those that say "pipe shoot noise backwards while the threat is ahead". When I go to the drags and the street bikes race....some Harleys included, you sure as heck can hear them coming sitting down by the finish line.

Correct, sound travels faster then a motor vechicle. Approx 768 MPH, depending on air temp and pressure. But way faster then a bike. L

Doesn't matter...that myth (more accurately, that LIE) was debunked long ago.

The children have proven to be irresponsible, so it's time to take away their toys. Stock pipes only, no exceptions.

I don't mind a nice reasonable sounding exhaust. Some of this stuff is over the top and has and will ruin it for the rest of us through increased regulation. What puzzles me is that many times there is a reduction in daily street ridden performance with poorly designed or miss-matched exhaust mods. I can see certain situations where the exhaust sound could be a safety enhancement, but you don't have to make their ears bleed. For many, I believe it's making noise just for the sake of making noise, hey look at me.

And are often flat black, ridden by people wearing no protective gear, nothing reflective, and often no helmet.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What I notice and it amazes me at the same time, is that most bikes I see with the loud exhaust (surely installed for safety reasons) will also have tiny, non DOT approved brake and turn signals that cannot be seen in sunlight.

Good point, in fact, Im will to bet there are a number of riders calling for mandated dont touch your bike mufflers or be fined people that are running illegal non DOT lights *L* AND FLASHERS, you know, like those brake light flashers!?!?!?
(just having fun here, but seems we may also need a law banning touching or changing your light bulbs or altering your lighting in ANYWAY!!!!!!!!) Including all the NON DOT LED lights out there!
WHILE we are at it, make it illegal to change your tire type or size from the OEM.
Better yet, no mods of any kind without permission from your public servants!! *L*

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Go to Germany no loud pipes and if suspect roadside db meter by the police and vehicle towed.

Germany, that bastion of freedom...
I don't care a whit about what the Europeans do.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What I notice and it amazes me at the same time, is that most bikes I see with the loud exhaust (surely installed for safety reasons) will also have tiny, non DOT approved brake and turn signals that cannot be seen in sunlight.

Good point, in fact, Im will to bet there are a number of riders calling for mandated dont touch your bike mufflers or be fined people that are running illegal non DOT lights *L* AND FLASHERS, you know, like those brake light flashers!?!?!?
(just having fun here, but seems we may also need a law banning touching or changing your light bulbs or altering your lighting in ANYWAY!!!!!!!!) Including all the NON DOT LED lights out there!
WHILE we are at it, make it illegal to change your tire type or size from the OEM.
Better yet, no mods of any kind without permission from your public servants!! *L*

I have absolutely no idea what that word salad means. Do you?

This is what jarlaxle posted on another forum about people with loud pipes.

" I truly hope this censored next ride ends with him under a dump truck!"

And...

"At this point...I hope he goes into a bridge abutment at 65."

Real nice huh.

Last edited:
We could all dress in olive drab Michelin man protective suits with a red star on the back and ride electric scooters like the rest of our one billion plus comrades. You pesky individualists need to comply to our dear leaders requests and we'll all be better off. Flat black paint, straight pipes, non compliant accessories.....get back in line if you know whats good for you!

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
This is what jarlaxle posted on another forum about people with loud pipes.

" I truly hope this censored next ride ends with him under a dump truck!"

And...

"At this point...I hope he goes into a bridge abutment at 65."

Real nice huh.

I gave up on "nice" the thirtieth time the dude blasted me out of a sound sleep at 2am with his noisebox. It was 2:13 last night.

What brand of straightpipes do you run?

Originally Posted By: gman2304
We could all dress in olive drab Michelin man protective suits with a red star on the back and ride electric scooters like the rest of our one billion plus comrades. You pesky individualists need to comply to our dear leaders requests and we'll all be better off. Flat black paint, straight pipes, non compliant accessories.....get back in line if you know whats good for you!

Ok, how's this: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back