What's Wrong With ACDelco Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Stay the course with the AC Delco PF47.

Ecore or not, you'll be fine.

A lot of oil filter zealots are here on BITOG and for them, it's the best or nothing else.

You'll find most every filter will do a good job for you for a 5,000 mile OCI.

I think you are on the right track with Wix though as they are well constructed and deliver outstanding performance for the price.
Yeah I've always been a Wix guy, but lately using Fram Ultras. I've used Wix on her car probably 3 or 4 times but I have also taken it to the dealer since they have an oil change coupon for $8.88 and they use ACDelco filters. The car is a bit of a beater, so I tried to be as cheap as possible with the oil changes using $1.00 per quart oil in my stash and getting an ACDelco oil filter and a Wix so I can use a $5 off coupon. It'll probably continue getting Wix after this for 5k mile OCIs.

Thanks guys!

With all the oil filters on the market, there's no reason to buy filters with:

- plastic center cores
- cardboard end caps
- torn pleats
- wavy pleats

Basically if you buy a Wix, you won't get any of the above.

Thanks for the explanation of the E on the PF47E filters. I was of the understanding that the PF47 that my parent's Montana uses had been superceded by the PF47E. Two weeks ago I picked up a PF47 @ an O'Reilly's in Nashville.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Basically if you buy a Wix, you won't get any of the above.

AC used to be my go to choice on the old LTD, when Walmart Canada had them for like $2 and they were the only version on the market at the time with the ADBV aside from the FL1A.
wink.gif

Ironically, the AC for my G37 still is not an ecore!

Quote:
...Ironically, the AC for my G37 still is not an ecore!

And that would be because in the smaller/smallest sized filters, Champ, for whatever reason has used/uses classic metal endcap and center tube construction. The shorty 6607/14612 and sae 4967/14476 filters qualify as small sized. When Super Tech filters were made, the longer ST7317 was also classic construction, not ecore.

As for the ACDelco ecore discussion, there's two parts of it's construction to be considered. There's the nylon cage used. Seen some ugly posted ecores where the pleating was not uniform and tight and there was a blowout. However, lately the pleating has looked better, ie, tight and uniform. That would be similar to the design of many quality cartridge filters which work fine.

The other part is the use of a Champ nitrile combo valve, ie. adbv and bypass in one. Many older GM vehicles have block bypass, so this (combo valve) is not a concern or consideration for GM vehicle ecores. However on non GM vehicles using ecore would have the Champ design combo valve, eg. the Champ made ecore 3614 for many vehicles uses a combo valve.

With newer model GM vehicles, GM has gone away from block bypass, to filter integral bypass. So GM told Champ to design the 'new' ecores using a traditional separate metal spring poppet style dome bypass, NOT, a Champ combo valve.

So bottom line, despite the touting on this board of the incredible reliability of the Champ combo valve design on ecore filters, GM has said
31.gif
, no nitrile combo valves on our AC Delco filters, we want classic dome end bypass on the GM ACDelco ecores.

That imo can lead one to only one conclusion about what GM thinks about the reliability of the cheaper/cheapened Champ nitrile combo valve design on some ecores. My .02.

I have to agree with Sayjac on this one. I havent saw any problems with any E CORE AC DELCO filters or even a CHAMPION LABS filter as of YET.

Has anyone seen any recent AC Delco e-core filter pictures? I have only seen the ones that looked like they were coming apart.

On my GM vehicles, I don't want to take a chance. I run either the Amsoil EAO or Fram Ultra oil filters. The e-core internals don't look like any quality went into building them.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Has anyone seen any recent AC Delco e-core filter pictures? .....

Here's a couple of the new design E suffix ecores with the dome end 'poppet' style metal spring bypass for newer GM vehicles with no block bypass. Looks like you posted in both threads. First PF48E second PF63E. As noted, no combo valves for GM ecores with filter integral bypass.

Have not seen one posted post use yet afaicr.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3526847/Re:_New_AC_Delco_PF48E_&am

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3523655/Virgin_AC_Delco_PF63E_&amp

I meant I haven't seen any recent used e-core filters that were any better quality than the ones posted here in the past. I have seen the e-core internals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back