College assignment, need survey responses

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears this site it full of white guys in their 30's with bachelor degrees.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I heard a very different hypothesis, which involved Walmart.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Statistical methods.

Done! But I'm an "outlier" as I'm retired early from corporate work and
now doing something else that takes minimal time.
smile.gif

I love Statistics!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BRZED

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but if somebody feels the members at bobistheoilguy.com are not good enough for them, why would they want to be a member at this website?

There is a silly stereotype about Wal-Mart shoppers. In fact, all kinds of people go to Wal-Marts, just like all kinds of different people go to other chain stores. It does not take a great deal of research to figure out that many different kinds of people visit Wal-Mart Stores.

I stopped going to expensive stores to get clothes and other things because I can find the same items or items of similar (or even greater) quality at various lower cost stores, such as at Wal-Mart, Kohls, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, JC Penny, etc. If I can buy a Van Heusen shirt at a Sears or JC Penny Store for 1/3 the price of what the expensive store is charging, I think it is intelligent to buy the shirt at the lower cost store.

It does not take a Harvard education to figure all of that out.

Last edited:
It is possible. The stereotype of the Wal-Mart shopper is silly, but even if it was the truth, I would rather be with a Wal-Mart shopper with a job and a life. A Wal-Mart shopper with a GED who maybe is a mechanic or a carpenter, is a good worker, and does not spend all day trolling the internet.

It seems a little strange to me that some of the same people who will promote the low wage workers in the post about McDonald's workers will then ridicule low wage workers who might have to do their shopping in various chain stores rather than fancy expensive stores.

I am not a low wage worker. I am retired and I have a decent retirement. I do have enough money to go to the expensive stores occasionally. But like I said, if I can get the Van Heusen shirt for 1/3 the price in a chain store, compared to the price of the expensive store, I am going to the chain store. I have no problem walking among the low wage workers doing their shopping.

Some people have criticized my above comment. Why do you shoot the messenger but not the one who made an assumption about this web site's demographiscs in the first place in this thread to begin with? Does anybody really believe that Iany more A) believe that most people here are Walmart employees and B) that I look down my nose at them any more than does the guy to whose post I am alluding? I doubt he was really being serious, but why am I assumed to be serious about it? People here post all the time, "You ask this (any not oil-related topic) on an oil forum?" when it comes to any topic that is not related to oil. Doesn't that irritate you also?

Originally Posted By: Mystic

I don't know what this is supposed to mean, but if somebody feels the members at bobistheoilguy.com are not good enough for them, why would they want to be a member at this website?

There is a silly stereotype about Wal-Mart shoppers. In fact, all kinds of people go to Wal-Marts, just like all kinds of different people go to other chain stores. It does not take a great deal of research to figure out that many different kinds of people visit Wal-Mart Stores.

I stopped going to expensive stores to get clothes and other things because I can find the same items or items of similar (or even greater) quality at various lower cost stores, such as at Wal-Mart, Kohls, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, JC Penny, etc. If I can buy a Van Heusen shirt at a Sears or JC Penny Store for 1/3 the price of what the expensive store is charging, I think it is intelligent to buy the shirt at the lower cost store.

It does not take a Harvard education to figure all of that out.

Hit Goodwill or (my pref) Salvation Army. I went a few weeks ago and got some Van Heusen and LL Bean shirts for like $4 each. Could not find good pants so I will hit our outlets some time; I will buy pants from Walmart in a pinch but I think it is worth paying extra elsewhere.

I never thought about maybe going to the Salvation Army to find shirts (Van Heusen and even LL Bean) for 4 dollars. I will have to check that out.

I almost never go to expensive stores. I will go to Wal-Mart for some things, but I typically buy shirts and jeans in Kohl's, JC Penny, or Sears. Occasionally I will go to somewhat more expensive stores like Bass ProShops for certain items, and sometimes they have really good sales also. I like to buy the best quality stuff I can for the lowest price. I will avoid the really cheap made stuff.

So I guess I must be a typical bobistheoilguy.com guy.

No way will I buy super expensive shirts, fancy designer jeans, and wear an Apple Watch and go walking down the street trying to impress somebody. That is not my style. A person is more impressive by what they do and what they are as a person than what they wear. My watch is a Seiko Railroad Approved watch that I bought on sale in I think 1986. It still works.

I used Apple Computers for a long time but they make only about 15% of their profits from desktop computers and I am starting to get turned off by Apple. I never have stood in line for days waiting to buy the latest 'iThing' from Apple. The lemmings can do that kind of stuff. I have an iMac and I am undecided which way to go. I only need to run a few Windows programs so maybe I will just run the programs requiring Windows in either Bootcamp or Virtual Fusion.

Some of the people who promote higher wages for low income people and then would not be caught dead in a Wal-Mart where the low income people often have to shop need to take a careful look at themselves. Too many limo liberals in this country who live in expensive fancy neighborhoods, maybe even gated communities or exclusive luxury apartment buildings with limited access by the general public, but they are so concerned with the plight of the poor! Many of these people have no idea whatsoever what it is like to be poor.

I know what it is like to be poor. I know what it is like to maybe have $700.00 total in the bank and be unemployed. I had to work very hard for over 33 years to get to where I am today. So I really do not need somebody who has no idea what it is like to be poor pontificating to me.

And Mr. Nice that is not directed at you. That is directed to the people who claim to care about the poor but do not associate with the poor. The sort of people who want to support the latest 'in' causes and all of that but they themselves might live in a luxury apartment with limited public access.

Last edited:
Looking at the responses, it appears that people either dont know how to read, how to do math, or are just trying to screw up your results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back