Any reason NOT to take low dose Aspirin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I apologize in advance.....But I have to say it.....Asking for medical advice on an oil forum is at least as disingenious as asking your doctor what oil you should use in your car. Just sayin'.....

Similarly, asking your big-pharma indoctrinated doctor (have you seen the drug sales reps that get sent to doctors' offices?) about what drugs to take to counteract your health issues is like asking your mechanic who has bottles of Lucas oil stabilizer on his shelf about that tick you keep hearing from your motor.

There are plenty go good doctors, just as there as good mechanics. I don't take advise from anyone that seems to be overly influenced by marketing.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I apologize in advance.....But I have to say it.....Asking for medical advice on an oil forum is at least as disingenious as asking your doctor what oil you should use in your car. Just sayin'.....

Similarly, asking your big-pharma indoctrinated doctor (have you seen the drug sales reps that get sent to doctors' offices?) about what drugs to take to counteract your health issues is like asking your mechanic who has bottles of Lucas oil stabilizer on his shelf about that tick you keep hearing from your motor.

What's the alternative then, quack websites?

There are plenty of non-quack doctors, websites, books, and products devoted to healing and maintaining your body through proper nutrition and minimizing your contact with toxins in common products and the environment. The fact that something is not mainstream does not automatically mean that it is quackery. There is a wide spectrum out there and some things are obviously wrong but not everything outside your cozy box is.

What's the alternative then, quack websites?

There are plenty of non-quack doctors, websites, books, and products devoted to healing and maintaining your body through proper nutrition and minimizing your contact with toxins in common products and the environment. The fact that something is not mainstream does not automatically mean that it is quackery. There is a wide spectrum out there and some things are obviously wrong but not everything outside your cozy box is.

Don't assume everything in the cozy box is a conspiracy. Obviously, a lot of disease can be better treated through diet and exercise than drugs but there is a lot scientific proof required to get a drug approved and on the market.

Big pharma has no friend in aspirin, the wonder drug. It's cheap and works.

There are plenty go good doctors, just as there as good mechanics. I don't take advise from anyone that seems to be overly influenced by marketing.

It's not just marketing that I am worried about but also convention and the culture of medical training and treatment. There used to be no qualms about the performance of lobotomies, electroshock therapy, and other "treatments" that were used because they "worked" based on medical evidence of the times. We now use loads of pharmaceuticals to mask underlying conditions and call it treatment. It's all bandaids, smoke, and mirrors. Times change and I think the future is moving away from pharmaceutical-based treatment and toward holistic disease/condition prevention. I think pharmaceuticals can benefit people in certain circumstances but I think using them as the go-to solution is disturbing and ultimately harmful.

Don't assume everything in the cozy box is a conspiracy. Obviously, a lot of disease can be better treated through diet and exercise than drugs but there is a lot scientific proof required to get a drug approved and on the market.

I never said anything about a conspiracy. The information is out there but people do not want to be bothered with the work of improving their health and instead want a magic pill that will cure all their ills 20 minutes after it goes down the chute. The issue is cultural. People are comfortable inside the box.

And I am not a science denier. I believe the drugs do what they claim but question whether the automatic go-to of taking medications to make the symptoms go away is the right/best thing to do.

It's not just marketing that I am worried about but also convention and the culture of medical training and treatment. There used to be no qualms about the performance of lobotomies, electroshock therapy, and other "treatments" that were used because they "worked" based on medical evidence of the times. We now use loads of pharmaceuticals to mask underlying conditions and call it treatment. It's all bandaids, smoke, and mirrors. Times change and I think the future is moving away from pharmaceutical-based treatment and toward holistic disease/condition prevention. I think pharmaceuticals can benefit people in certain circumstances but I think using them as the go-to solution is disturbing and ultimately harmful.

Call me wierd but I go to the internal medical dept in a Research Hospital. They use mainstream research tools. They told me my odds of heart related deaths given my age and other risk factors was 15% mortality over the next 10 years. The statin will statistically take that risk to 7.5% I play the odds.

Al, you should be healthy.

No germs or viruses can live near TMI.
56.gif

Your old buddy Bob

I never said anything about a conspiracy. The information is out there but people do not want to be bothered with the work of improving their health and instead want a magic pill that will cure all their ills 20 minutes after it goes down the chute. The issue is cultural. People are comfortable inside the box.

And I am not a science denier. I believe the drugs do what they claim but question whether the automatic go-to of taking medications to make the symptoms go away is the right/best thing to do.

I agree with that.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Al, you should be healthy.

No germs or viruses can live near TMI.
56.gif

Your old buddy Bob

LOL...Bob..You take care.
grin.gif

people do not want to be bothered with the work of improving their health and instead want a magic pill that will cure all their ills 20 minutes after it goes down the chute.

It's nice to blame heart problems on diet and exercise.

My father, grandfather, great and great-great grandfather all had heart problems prior to 50. GGGF died at 34 years old, GF at 49, dad had a massive heart attack at 47. All were active, healthy, exercised and dad was particularly careful with diet and exercise.

I've made it to 51, no MI yet.... Statin/aspirin are likely the reason I've exceeded the family norm. Of course, my mothers side of the family is rather robust.

Also, Vitamin K2 and D3 in combination have been proven, in test animals, to move calcium from arteries to bones. Thereby clearing arteries a bit and restoring some vascular capability. A close friend had bypass surgery. His cardiologist suggested this D3-K2 regimen and was extremely excited about it. 2 years down the road, my friend has completely clear arteries, including the previous blockage! Back in 2004, the Rotterdam study was able to show that it works. Further studies are confirming results!

My cardiologist suggested against it.... It seems that for some of us, it might work... I have no way to know.

This much I do know, non eviscerated Egyptian mummies show clear evidence of heart disease, just like humans today, and in much the same proportions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Is there any reason NOT to take a low dose Aspirin?

I'm deadly allergic to salicylates.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So with all that. Is there any reason NOT to take a low dose Aspirin?

You're not supposed to take it if you're on Warfarin.

The two actions of lifestyle changes or taking an aspirin are not mutually exclusive either/or choice. So don't take it that the all the people saying "get some exercise/lifestyle changes" are explicitly saying don't take the aspirin.

You can do both things.

But it's true that a human only has so much time and focus, and by focusing too much just on the aspirin, you lose focus on all the other things.

It's like the guys here who get soooo worked up over one car thing , yet spend zero attention to all the other aspects of car maintenance that can equally affect the lifespan of the car.

Like someone who never changes his oil, but has the excuse that "Well I always use Chevron with Techron top tier fuel so why did my engine die". Nobody will say using Techron is bad, but you got to do other stuff too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
The two actions of lifestyle changes or taking an aspirin are not mutually exclusive either/or choice. So don't take it that the all the people saying "get some exercise/lifestyle changes" are explicitly saying don't take the aspirin.

You can do both things.

But it's true that a human only has so much time and focus, and by focusing too much just on the aspirin, you lose focus on all the other things.

I did not articulate it so well, but that is my general point. If you have a legitimate, genetically-based, and possibly life saving need for medication, then by all means, take the meds! But going from "I am a relatively healthy 40 year old" to "I am thinking of taking a drug to counteract my poor diet and lifestyle" just don't jive well with me. Fix the cause of your problem, don't just proactively treat the symptoms. You can't fix genetics so if you have a genetic predisposition to heart disease, then by all means do what you can to live longer. But running for the medicine cabinet should not be your first reaction. That vitamin therapy sounds promising...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back