Consumer reports : Cars not to buy 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not surprised at all to see the Nissan Altima on this list. Due mainly to reliability. I really do not know where they went wrong with the quality control. I know the jatco CVTs in the 2013 to the current models have had far too many issues. If this trend continues than Nissan will fall further and further down the ladder. Glad I got a older model.

Which year Altima do you have? ^^^

I just bought a Certified Pre Owned 2015 Altima 2.5 "SV"...(actually a dealer loaner/fleet car) with 3000 miles on the OD. It was $7000 off sticker($26,300, marked down to $19,295). A good deal and a 7 yr/100 powertrain warranty.

The dealer had other 2015 Altimas with even less miles. One in particular was a 2.5 "S" with...1234 miles!
smile.gif
Yep, 1234 miles. It too was marked down $7000 from it's sticker($24400/$17400). And, it too was Nissan Certified Pre Owned(CPO) w/ 0.9% for 36 months. Only the brand new could be had for 0% for up to 72 months. A good deal if they hold up better than expected!
laugh.gif

I will see how thing go as I do like the car and had wonderful luck with my past '04 2.5 S even though it too was one of the more unreliable vehicles in it's category!

I do know that the infotainment systems in vehicles are bringing down their reliability but in Nissan's case, their CVT is adding fuel to the fire! :-/

Last edited:
Hey there man. Yeah mine is a 2008. It has been fantastic so far. . really zero issues. Runs great, no oil burning, CVT is doing good etc etc. I really hope you got a good one. Sounds like you got a good deal though which is always cool
smile.gif

It looks like FIAT is well represented in this list with their 500L and all the their Jeeps.

The surprise is the Toyota Tacoma. It may be all they say it is but I see those trucks all over the place. They appear to be very popular.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It looks like FIAT is well represented in this list with their 500L and all the their Jeeps.

Fiat has a reputation in North America that they worked very hard to develop over the past few decades. Do they really want to throw away all that hard work with some stellar vehicles?
wink.gif

I have better things to do than read the drivel from Consumer Reports. The last time I looked at information in Consumer Reports was when we purchased our washer and dryer around 7 or 8 years ago. Consumer Reports rated them as mediocre, yet the reviews from actual Consumer Reports online subscribers were outstanding. We purchased a set for each house, and have been extremely pleased with them.

If they can't get washer and dryer recommendations right, why should anyone put any credence in their opinions about a vehicle?

I read consumers reports for the entertainment value, I tend to agree that their opinion isn't worth much. Too many times they recommend products with known flaws only to rate lower a product that is outstanding

The problem is most magazine publications are sell outs to the advertisers!

That is how they keep subscription prices low. In the age of internet, they simply cannot raise rates, the competition is fierce.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

The surprise is the Toyota Tacoma. It may be all they say it is but I see those trucks all over the place. They appear to be very popular.

The issue with the Tacoma is that it is a 10 year old platform. Trucks have gotten squishy, in the interim. My 10 year old Tacoma has not lost a step......It just doesn't feel like a car. I figure I can get another 10 years out of it.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Considering CR's well-known bias against domestic brands, I'm really surprised not to see at least one Chevy or Ford on this list.

CR's posted "opinions" match nearly exactly the real world results from sites like TrueDelta dot com.

Facts matter, and "certain" domestics have consistently demonstrated lower reliability.

In fact, the Toyota Camry/Honda Accord models are 1 order of magnitude more reliable than the VW Passat. That's an amazing difference.

Last edited:
Jeep did not fare well. And the Fiat... an Italian car with reliability troubles?... "Surely not!" says the guy with an Italian motorcycle (sarcasm intended). Wait, the Cherokee is Italian based too. There you go!

What's the deal with the Armada's mpg. Never understood that. I think a V10 Excursion gets better. I lol every time my sister complains about her Q56 drinking gas.

CR doesn't accept advertising, and they buy the products they test just like any consumer would.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The problem is most magazine publications are sell outs to the advertisers!

That is how they keep subscription prices low. In the age of internet, they simply cannot raise rates, the competition is fierce.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I have better things to do than read the drivel from Consumer Reports.

And if I didn't have something better to do I'd need to re evaluate my life. Can't believe people still give that rag credibility.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I have better things to do than read the drivel from Consumer Reports.

You mean like spending time on BITOG instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back