Wadcutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me wikipedia that for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadcutter

"A wadcutter has a flat or nearly flat front that is typically as wide as the caliber size or only slightly smaller in diameter than caliber size. For target shooting, a wadcutter cuts a very clean hole through the paper target, making it easier to score and ideally reducing errors in scoring the target in the favor of the shooter."

Last edited:
Yep, cuts nice round holes in paper. What a lot of people don't realize is that it cuts nice round holes through flesh too. While not the best defensive round available, is still a decent round for target shooting or defensive use for recoil shy individuals.

Better than round nosed bullets but lightyears from the efficiency of jacketed hollow points.

Now the old "FBI load" for the 38 Special Smith and Wessons was a semi wadcutter plain lead hollow point. Offered enough penetration and some slight expansion. Was a top notch load back 30 plus years ago.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Better than round nosed bullets but lightyears from the efficiency of jacketed hollow points. Now the old "FBI load" for the 38 Special Smith and Wessons was a semi wadcutter plain lead hollow point. Offered enough penetration and some slight expansion. Was a top notch load back 30 plus years ago.

When we talk of the ability of pistol bullets 30 to 40 years ago to stop, it's in much the same category of talking about engine technology. 40 years ago we had breaker point ignition, and spark plugs that lasted 10,000 miles with leaded fuel. It got us where we needed to go. Today there is no comparison. Modern self defense ammunition is much the same.

Buffalo Bore make a .38 special and .45 colt hardcast wadcutter for self defense ammo. I believe I read a test somewhere that the .38 penetrated over 20".

The old trick was to load a wadcutter backwards exposing the big cavity in back. This gave a lot of expansion at low velocities. Don't count on it to pass FBI penetration test though.

Originally Posted By: punisher
The old trick was to load a wadcutter backwards exposing the big cavity in back. This gave a lot of expansion at low velocities. Don't count on it to pass FBI penetration test though.

You can also do this with FMJ spitzer rifle bullets. Load it backward and it acts like a hollow point on impact.

Better than round nosed bullets but lightyears from the efficiency of jacketed hollow points.

Now the old "FBI load" for the 38 Special Smith and Wessons was a semi wadcutter plain lead hollow point. Offered enough penetration and some slight expansion. Was a top notch load back 30 plus years ago.
It still is.

Originally Posted By: CT8

It still is.

I'd put it a notch or two below a good +p 38 special loaded with Gold Dots or HST bullets. Especially in a longer barreled wheelgun. The old FBI load penetrated well, but did not have good and reliable expansion.

=1 I used to drill the bullets out slightly and take them to a friend who did a lot of reloading to make me some "dum dums". They would expand about 30% but no where near today's SJHP personal defense ammo.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
You can also do this with FMJ spitzer rifle bullets. Load it backward and it acts like a hollow point on impact.

I put all of this type of stuff in much the same category as "Cut Shotgun Shells". Why even bother when there is more specialty ammunition on the market than ever before? Cutting shotgun shells is a very good way to screw up a nice shotgun. Not to mention a good way to have a barrel burst in your face. handloading spritzer rifle bullets backwards can also change pressures in maximum loads. Depending on how close you are to the redline, this could prove to be dangerous as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back