Its flooding down in Texas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't begrudge anyone assistance,local or federal,who has lost everything.
We help the entire world and it's only right to help our own.
Very callous and UnAmerican.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Most Houstonians are aware of the risks of flooding (usually due to hurricanes/tropical storms, though).

If they know about the risks, then it makes their actions and dependency on aid even worse. Could it be that the knowledge of certain state and federal aid is a moral hazard, just like our welfare dependency problem?

To Benito,
It seems you are confusing emergency help with welfare and people who abuse it.

I dont think anyone would purposely lose everything in a disaster just so they could collect on some aid.
Again,very UnAmerican,and that's putting it nicely.

Texas took $5 billion in federal disaster funds in 2011 and 2012, the most of any US state.

Clearly the help received goes beyond just emergencies.

And apparently, everyone knows that these emergencies will happen in Texas (and elsewhere), so again, why is it up to the federal taxpayer to pay when the risks come about?

Originally Posted By: Benito
Texas took $5 billion in federal disaster funds in 2011 and 2012, the most of any US state.

And apparently, everyone knows that these emergencies will happen in Texas (and elsewhere), so again, why is it up to the federal taxpayer to pay when the risks come about?

you state "clearly the help received ....". perhaps you could elaborate.
"why is up to the federal taxpayer to pay ....? that doesn't make any sense, unless you're trolling on your second day as a bitoger.maybe the Russians, or the Chinese are supposed to pay ?when there are natural disasters, taxpayers, as a group, pay.that's the way it is , and should be.
I don't know why you have a beef with that -- again, it doesn't make any sense.people are losing everything, and some have died, and you're concerned about federal tax dollars.that's just sad.beware of karma.
you americans must be proud of benito.justin beaver looks pretty good now, doesn't he ?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Don't go dissing Federal Disaster Aid. You are one bad winter away from needing it. Stuff like that is why we pay taxes.
grin2.gif

Yes! This is one of those things that those of us who actually pay taxes should expect as a service. Seriously.

And, yet, any time I have said anything negative about Texas a blank-storm is heaped upon me for daring to criticize the most American of states, the economic engine of America, the epitome of a healthy economy. This is a place. Think about what happens when a place becomes attractive due to its lower cost of living and availability of jobs. The meteorological conditions are inherent, but think about the demographics as well. When the growth rate hits these levels you don't get only productive honest citizens. You get your share of dregs as well.

Also, considering we are the second most populous state it does seem logical that the state would receive a larger share of public funds. I'll soften my first paragraph by stating that most of the people I know here are hard-working honest people. Yet, at the same time, this state, particularly Harris County, has executed more inmates than pretty much all the other states combined since 1976 (when the death penalty was reinstated).

And Texans pay ~$220 billion in Federal income taxes per year. If 1% of that goes back for disaster relief, what is the problem?

And by the way, NY has received ~$8 billion in Federal disaster relief in response to Hurricane Sandy. People in glass houses....

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
And Texans pay ~$220 billion in Federal income taxes per year. If 1% of that goes back for disaster relief, what is the problem?

That's a lot more concise way to say what I did. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

For the first time in over a hundred years, outmigration of legal residentsfrom California is exceeding the number of new California legal residents.

Fixed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back