2004 Yamaha V-Star 650, Amsoil 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was hoping to get some feedback on an oil analysis for my bike. This is my first ever oil analysis so I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the results. I usually run 20w50 but because of the fact that I needed the bike some in winter this year, I ran 10w30 instead for this change. Now well clear of winter I put 20w50 back in it. Little bit of info, I normally change my oil at 4k miles but I took this sample at ~3300 miles when I took the bike apart to replace a worn clutch.

Obviously I need to run a sample with the 20w50 I usually run, from there I would like to look into running 8k miles if possible. Thoughts, feedback?

2004 Yamaha V-Star 650
Oil: Amsoil MCT Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10w30
Sump Capacity: 3 quarts
Filter: K&N KN-145
Total Miles: 38,000
Oil Mileage @ Sample: 3368
Lab: Oil Analyzers

Wear Metals (ppm)
Iron: 32
Chromium: 1
Nickel: 1
Aluminum: 10
Copper: 8
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Cadmium: 0
Silver: 10
Vanadium: 0

Contaminant Metals (ppm)
Silicon: 8
Sodium: 2
Potassium: 1

Multi-Source Metals (ppm)
Titanium: 0
Molybdenum: 54
Antimony: 0
Manganese: 0
Lithium: 0
Boron: 13

Additive Metals (ppm)
Magnesium: 15
Calcium: 3615
Barium: 0
Phosphorous: 1069
Zinc: 1405

Contaminants (%Vol)
Fuel Dilution: < 1 - Estimate
Soot: < .1
Water: < .1 - FTIR

Fluid Properties
Viscosity 100°C: 12.0 (cSt)
Acid Number: Null
Base Number: 7.19 (mg KOH/g)
Oxidation: 34 (abs/cm)
Nitration: 10 (abs/0.1mm)

I dont know much about the 650 UOAs but from what I have seen and heard your iron in right in the range the engine produces.
The wear numbers certainly are not anything earth shattering great. Meaning like a WOW report. I thought wear was on the high side until I read more on your engine. I would be curious to what the 20/50 turns up. Me personally I wouldnt use a 10/30 in a bike but again, maybe I would, I dont know what winter temps you are talking about.

The book for the bike specs 10w30 or 20w40 depending on ambient temperature. I have run Mobil 1 and then Amsoil 20w50 because until recently neither sold a 20w40.

The 10w30 definitely made the engine happier in sub 40° weather although the shifter didn't feel as good in hotter weather. Supposedly 10w30 is OK up to 100° ambient according to the manual but I don't know that I trust it that much in an air cooled engine. Now that amsoil makes a 20w40 I may swap to that after I use up my stock of 20w50.

Just noticed I mistyped the Silver, should be 1ppm instead of 10

Originally Posted By: ahemsa
Just noticed I mistyped the Silver, should be 1ppm instead of 10

GOOD! because you were about to be the all time winner for highest silver and i was really wondering how you could have achived that!

Iron: 32 - seems high but maybe not for this bike...lots of cold starting? or lots of shifting?
Chromium: 1 - no biggie
Nickel: 1 - no biggie
Aluminum: 10 - maybe a touch high but maybe not for this bike
Copper: 8 - same as alum

Last edited:
I have one of these 650's and they no longer spec a 30 grade. Just 10w40 or Xw50. I'm impressed the oil came back at a thick 30 grade after 3300 miles in a shared sump.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

Iron: 32 - seems high but maybe not for this bike...lots of cold starting? or lots of shifting?

The cold starting was the primary reason for the thinner oil over the winter.

Originally Posted By: sonic

I have one of these 650's and they no longer spec a 30 grade. Just 10w40 or Xw50. I'm impressed the oil came back at a thick 30 grade after 3300 miles in a shared sump.

Interesting. Just for giggles I looked at manual for the latest model 650 on the Yamaha website and sure enough they now only recommend 30 up to 70*F which this definitely exceeded. It doesn't surprise me that Amsoil maintained it's viscosity, they make killer oil, but too thin is still too thin. I will definitely be doing another analysis with the 20w50.

you could easily run a 10W-40 in your cooler weather; or even a 15W-40. in summer you can obviously run a 20W-40 or 20W-50. amsoil now has a 20W-40, thanks to Victory and Indian!

i would rather see you run a 5w40 (that i already know is going to thin out) than a 10w30.

your results are not bad, but ok.
actually its very nice to see that your 10w30 held up so well.

I'm not going to run anything but Amsoil so I'm kinda limited to the grades they sell in motorcycle oil. I should be done with cold weather riding. Last winter I had a legitimate reason to ride in the cold, I don't anymore. I'll do another analysis with the 20w50 and see what it says.

Being air cooled and the summertime temps we see around here I like the idea of the 20w50 over the 20w40 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back