O'reilly branded full synthetic info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after using this site for many years I finally signed up today because of some information I could pass on.

I'm in need of an oil change on a 5.7 2500 dodge ram and it states I need the Chrysler MS-6395 spec on it. So after seeing their price of oil for 5qt jug and filter is 22.99, it's hard to beat that. So before I buy two jugs (7 quarts lol), I did some research. At first BITOG was saying this oil WAS NOT ms-6395 spec. So I did a chat with O'Reilly folks which didn't lead no where, but I called a 1800 number I found at http://www.oreillylubetech.com/ and talked with friendly staff at Omni and we got to the bottom of it, or mostly.

I am assuming their site, jugs, and info is a bit out of date as part numbers from Omni matched the multi-grade I reference below. So I would appreciate any comments on my take on this oil. I wish I could do an oil analysis on virgin oil, but I am just not ready to spend that kind of money on personal research.

The links that have the information you want are here:
http://www.oreillylubetech.com/products/motor_oils/pds/dexos1 SAE 5W20.pdf
Which shows a Chrysler MS-6395V rating

supposedly this is the "old spec" which has been posted before
http://www.oreillylubetech.com/products/motor_oils/pds/Synthetic Multigrade SN.pdf

This is where O'Reilly staff and Omni staff are assuming because the part number for both of the above that Omni have belong to just the 5w-20 grade O'Reilly synthetic oil.

Hope you enjoy the topic as I know it's hard to find cheap oil that is decent

Chrysler MS-6395 is easily maintained by even the cheapest conventional oils (Quaker State green bottle for instance)

I am of the opinion that any SN spec synthetic motor oils would easily pass this spec. I would happily run the store brand synthetic oil without question.

Hard to find cheap oil that is decent? Mobil 1 for $23.XX per 5qt jug is decent. Magnuson-Moss means the dealer would probably have a tough time proving a non MS6395 oil caused any issue. I guess if your drain plug falls out, they might.

I'll bet millions of warrantied Caravans are running around with 10W40 Supertech in them, and the soccer moms driving them would be amazed that a website called BITOG even exists...

My Sebring runs on anything I put in it and with no complaints or problems. Several different brand oils and different grades.

Being from the deep south, the really cold start ups are very infrequent as it stays in a garage that rarely goes below 28F.

I bet you can use the synthetic from Oreilly without any issues at all and the engine will do just fine

For a $1.00 more, today you can purchase a top-tier oil like Mobil 1 at WalMart.

The VI and TBN of O'Reilly brand synthetic, are very low compared to M-1.

IMO, it doesn't make much sense to use an inferior oil when Mobil 1 is available for not very much more.

I am beginning to wonder if an oil spec for an engine is really in the best interest of the engine. With all this mileage stuff going on the oil spec'd by the manufacturer may not be the best case scenario for the engine and in some cases may be bad for long life. I'm not bashing the 5w20 crowd or anything like that; my EB Ford loves Castrol Syntec 0w40 and why wouldn't it? If BMW considers it an acceptable oil for their turbo cars, where is the difference between their engine and mine? Both are DI, turbo'd, highly stressed and creating plenty of heat. You know what they say, once past the warranty period....

+1 on mobil 1, its on rollback right now at walmart, for me anyways and you still have time to submit for the mail in rebate online. Its $12 off for 5qts, limit 2 per household i think.

Last edited:
And I use Pennzoil Platinum. It usually runs around $25/5qt jug at Wall World. But you can usually find $5 off coupons to print off from the Pennzoil website.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back