Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If volume is an issue then all the muscle cars with glass pack silencers should have to be quiet, along with Harley's and diesel pickups and jake-brake trucks..

Exhaust noise is not really a problem, especially not one that can be solved by targeting people on certain types of bikes.
Remember that a quiet exhaust strangles the motor where a loud pipe (generally) lets it breathe and make more power. Do we want to go slowly and be quiet? 99% of petrolheads say NO!

Maine requires stock exhaust, and Mass requires mufflers after 1982 with the "EPA Noise certification" to remain visible/ intact.

Loud pipes shoot noise rearwards, while trouble lies forwards. Anything that antagonizes 4-wheel motorists doesn't ingratiate them to treating motorcyclists with more respect. New England and its four season climate allows people to forget about motorcyclists then they're surprised when May comes around and, whoa, they're back!

Originally Posted By: bvance554
We seem so concerned about, and the government seems to regulate so many needless things, but everyone turns a blind eye to noise pollution. I understand loud pipes save lives, but Harley's are plenty loud to start with. Do you really need to pull the baffles out? The other day I was driving down I-95 and two guys ripped buy me on sport bikes with zero exhaust and all their loud pipes did was startle the heck out of me. I almost spilled my beer. Don't get me started on leaf blowers. My neighbors drive me nuts chasing that last leaf around the yard.

Loud pipes are idiotic. Just think about what it would be like if EVERYONE had open exhausts. The shock and awe only works when most vehicles are quiet.

There are easily enforceable noise statutes almost everywhere, but police only enforce them when they need them.

Properly engineered exhausts do not need to be loud to make power either, that's a complete myth from the "old daze"...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
After much thought, I am truly starting to think it may be: is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust on all street-ridden motorcycles? The noiseboxes are just out of control.

Perhaps that loud sound has accomplished precisely what the owner wanted: your attention.

That way, you don't run over/hit/kill the motorcycle that you didn't see...because you heard it first...

Yes: it blasted me out of a soundsleep at 1:56am!

Originally Posted By: Olas
If volume is an issue then all the muscle cars with glass pack silencers should have to be quiet, along with Harley's and diesel pickups and jake-brake trucks..

Exhaust noise is not really a problem, especially not one that can be solved by targeting people on certain types of bikes.
Remember that a quiet exhaust strangles the motor where a loud pipe (generally) lets it breathe and make more power. Do we want to go slowly and be quiet? 99% of petrolheads say NO!

Pablum. Noise doesn't mean power...only noise. The quietest vehicle in my driveway is the fastest! (And the loudest is the slowest.)

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Loud exhaust systems don't bother me as long as they sound good.

How about I run one up next to your bedroom at 2am, then?

Go to Germany no loud pipes and if suspect roadside db meter by the police and vehicle towed. They strictly enforce this law, personally i hate loud pipes and no they don’t save lives just like helmets kill you so your safer riding without. :duh
:
The TÜV and Dekra both proved that both these things were false years ago, when some rider groups brought that argument up. Fact is a loud exhaust can cause more accidents than they prevent.

I would be fine if open pipes meant the bike was seized and destroyed and the rider got jail time.

^^^That might be a little harsh, but the laws are only enforced selectively. Thus many loud cars and other vehicles get little attention....

Originally Posted By: dave123
It's one thing to listen to a well built engine but for the most part 99% sound like just a loud POS.

There will always be people in this world, that "think" something about someone that should be changed but it never involves the one who thinks.
Translated, there are always people who want you to behave as they do.

We escaped that a few hundred years ago when we left England to this land.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
After much thought, I am truly starting to think it may be: is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust on all street-ridden motorcycles? The noiseboxes are just out of control.

Move to California as they have...

Much of the northeast is already like California.
What surprises me, there are bikers who think what bikers do or not do with their bikes should be restricted by Public Servants (government)

Well, if so, how about this? All bikers are a minority compared to cars and trucks, so what happens, when in the Northeast or California your public servants rally the majority of people to BAN MOTORCYCLES from PUBLIC ROADS. Do you know the United Nations was pushing for such things in OUR country? IN addition to gun control, yes, even the United Nations is influencing policy in the country, what a joke.

After all, they are WAY to dangerous, cost untold cost burdens on the health care system and there is no need for them in our society anymore.

TO BAD, living in a free country means we can do what we want as long as we dont harm other people, thing is, government, public servants, find an excuse to justify what is hurting other people. Think about it. It amazes me, how other people love to dictate what other people do and how they live their lives.
With all the above said, there are noise restrictions on motor vehicles. (not just motorcycles) but in our world the police have more important things to do then ticket someone making to much noise as they pass through an area for a few seconds.

Excuse the rant, just discussing, American people need to wake up, stop calling for government to put restrictions on our own people. Time to slash government, get back to basics, protect out borders and protect our constitution. Keep public servants from telling YOU and YOUR family how to live.

Last edited:
I'm not in favor of any additional legislation, but as a long-time rider I call [censored] on the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. If the guys riding the earsplitters are so concerned with their safety, why do nearly none wear safety gear? When I start seeing these jerks wearing full-face helmets, real MC gloves/clothing, durable boots, etc., then I'll believe that they made their bike obnoxious because they are trying to protect themselves.

There's a guy who lives around the corner from me. Rides a HD whatever with open pipes. Makes sure to rev the tinkle out of it as he passes by (sometimes 10 or more times on a Saturday.) It's loud enough that it drowns out conversation inside my house with the windows closed and the A/C on. He typically wears a skull cap helmet, tank-top, jeans and Chuck Taylors. The bike also has the most ridiculous ape-hangers and no front brake. Yeah, his bike is loud because he values his safety.

Jarlaxle previously said he and his wife discussed suicide pills in case they get harassed by the police. I can't imagine why he'd want more laws that would encourage the police to harass him.

That being said, loud pipes do not save lives. If noise equaled safe, there would never be an accident at rail road crossings.

I don't think we need more regulations, but loud pipes are hurting the cause of motorcyclist with the general public. There have been talks about banning motorcycles from state and federal parks because of noise. Chicago talked about banning motorcycles from the shore way. Motorcyclist need to be more responsible about how they ride. They need to be aware that not everyone wants to hear their bike or thinks it sounds good. If motorcyclist don't take responsibility and police themselves, someone else will. I really don't want some bureaucrat that knows nothing about motorcycles writing laws for them.

Neither my wife nor I have loud motorcycles. My Burg is quiet...she has a relatively quiet Hyosung Comet and a near-silent Honda Pacific Coast.

Neither my wife nor I have loud motorcycles. My Burg is quiet...she has a relatively quiet Hyosung Comet and a near-silent Honda Pacific Coast.

That's fine, but if you're in a group of bikes, and law enforcement thinks the group is too loud, they'll pull over the entire group. Do YOU trust the police to only ticket the offending owner?

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
I'm not in favor of any additional legislation, but as a long-time rider I call [censored] on the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. If the guys riding the earsplitters are so concerned with their safety, why do nearly none wear safety gear? When I start seeing these jerks wearing full-face helmets, real MC gloves/clothing, durable boots, etc., then I'll believe that they made their bike obnoxious because they are trying to protect themselves

I agree, loud Harley with shorts flip flops and a bald head with sun glasses. These guys really care about being safe lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip

That's fine, but if you're in a group of bikes, and law enforcement thinks the group is too loud, they'll pull over the entire group. Do YOU trust the police to only ticket the offending owner?

I don't ride with idiots running straightpipes...so I don't care.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
99% of the time the right wrist/foot controls the noise. Loud pipes on motorcycles DO save lives. It makes the texting idiot look up for a second.
Helmets save lives.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Quote:
pottymouth said:
I'm not in favor of any additional legislation, but as a long-time rider I call [censored] on the "loud pipes save lives" mantra. If the guys riding the earsplitters are so concerned with their safety, why do nearly none wear safety gear? When I start seeing these jerks wearing full-face helmets, real MC gloves/clothing, durable boots, etc., then I'll believe that they made their bike obnoxious because they are trying to protect themselves

I agree, loud Harley with shorts flip flops and a bald head with sun glasses. These guys really care about being safe lol
Ten ring on that comment! The noise will protect them from a flying recap or a sand patch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back