General Altimax RT43 1500mi review

Status
Not open for further replies.
205/60/R16 92H rated, made in Romania.

My initial impression, the tire is softer than the outgoing MVV4's, which leads to a more comfortable, compliant, ride. While highway noise levels to my ear seems about the same, lower speed travel (~25-40mph) over smooth roadway produces a noticeable "hum" or alternately, "wub-wub" from the tread. The Accord is historically known to allow more road noise into the cabin than most.

Handling is very good in normal driving though the softer sidewall can lend to a feeling of "push" at higher cornering speeds, for instance, highway on and off ramps. This is more a driver's feeling than any comment on ultimate roadholding, traction, or safety.

MPG this May to last remains virtually unchanged with similar driving patterns, the General's averaging 31.69 to the MXV'4s 31.64. The General is not advertised as a LRR tire, so I am pleased with this. I do have them inflated 3psi over Honda's spec 32/30 psi front/rear.

These were balanced on a non-Roadforce machine. Of note 2 of the 4 do not have weights on the rims.

I cannot comment on wet or snow handling at this time.

Overall, I am pleased. Time will tell how they age. At ~$420 OTD including tax, lifetime balance/rotation, roadhazard, and front-end alignment I'd consider them an excellent value.

No weights on 2 of the 4 wheels?

The chances of that are pretty slim. When I did tires when in school I'd see a tire that needed no balancing VERY rarely, I remember because I'd say "SWEET" to myself lol.

Two of four leads me to believe they were forgotten, getting those balanced may reduce the "wub wub".

Hope it does!!

I've just put on 5000 miles on our RT43 "T" Speed Rated tires in 225-70-16 and I agree that at low speeds on smooth roads there is a "Wub-Wub-Wub" sound as you mentioned. Otherwise they're not really loud. They're ready for their first rotation!

Originally Posted By: Falken
No weights on 2 of the 4 wheels?

The chances of that are pretty slim. When I did tires when in school I'd see a tire that needed no balancing VERY rarely, I remember because I'd say "SWEET" to myself lol.

Two of four leads me to believe they were forgotten, getting those balanced may reduce the "wub wub".

Hope it does!!

Yeah, no weights. Steering is generally sensitive and I have not noticed any shimmy , vibration, or wobble.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've just put on 5000 miles on our RT43 "T" Speed Rated tires in 225-70-16 and I agree that at low speeds on smooth roads there is a "Wub-Wub-Wub" sound as you mentioned. Otherwise they're not really loud. They're ready for their first rotation!

This is good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted By: k24a4

These were balanced on a non-Roadforce machine. Of note 2 of the 4 do not have weights on the rims...

With modern balance machines being accurate down to 1/4 oz or less, it is rare to have a wheel / tire assembly require zero weight... i have seen only a handful of wheels need zero weight, out of probably 50 or more tires... with all brands of tires.

The shop I use would always put on a small marker, to confirm that yes, the wheel was balanced. The marker was a thin shim type weight that weighed next to nothing, but gave visual proof of balancing. I think some oems do the same...

Now have about 3000 miles on them on the Oldsmobile beater. 205/70/15 in the stock T speed rating.

They handle bumps well, are great in the wet, just fine in the dry, haven't seen notable snow/slush/ice so no comment there. Fairly quiet (or at least I can't hear them over the noisy driver's front wheel bearing and the exhaust leak). Handling is what I would expect for a T rated 15 inch tire with a 70 profile series in service duty on a rolling couch with a shot suspension. So...kinda squishy. Running about 35PSI in them which is +5 over the door placard.

Only complaint is they seem to enjoy eating every pebble they find on the road.

Bang for the buck, I cannot complain at all. Debating between these and Continental TrueContacts for the Subaru when the current Michelin Primacy MXV4 dry rot out (bloody things have 65,000 miles on them and still have 6-7/32 left, starting to sidewall crack).

i didn't know they came in H-speed rating too. may need to consider in the future. as for soft sidewalls, my fix it higher PSI. about 40, there are no soft sidewalls.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i didn't know they came in H-speed rating too. may need to consider in the future. as for soft sidewalls, my fix it higher PSI. about 40, there are no soft sidewalls.

When I bought my two RT43 recently the higher grade H rated were $5 cheaper per tire than the lower T rated. Got mine online at tirebuyer.com. Think I buy two more but at Walmart available only online delivered to store.

Originally Posted By: Irishman
Can someone tell us which country the RT43 in 225 60 17 is made in? Thank you.

USA. Tire Rack is your friend here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/general-tires.jsp

(Note: Tire Rack has been 100% correct about country of manufacture for any tire I looked at. Still, there are no set-in-stone guarantees.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back