10k OCI filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
The only agenda here is the one perpetuated by those who won't stop until everyone uses the ultra and those that don't conform are either belittled, banned or chased off of this forum by continual harassment.

Hopefully one day this forum will get back on track, and members will respect each other and engage in productive discourse. That was what brought myself and many more members to this site in the first place.

It's pretty clear that you are a perpetual disruptive member on the board. You keep arguing that things never happened when there is clear evidence it surely did. It gets rather ridiculous, but it is entertaining.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
jk_636, how did you determine that the Fram Ultra, RP, and Purolator Synthetic are in the same class? If I had to rank some of the top filters out there at this time I would do it as such (note: not an extensive list):

Fram Ultra rated at 20 micron @ 99% efficiency for 15K miles.
Amsoil EA rated at 20 micron @ 98.7 efficiency for 15-25K miles.
Mobil 1 rated at 25 micron @ 99.9% efficiency for 15K miles.
Purolator Synthetic rated at 25 micron @ 99% efficiency for 10K miles
Royal Purple rated at 25 micron @ 99% efficiency for an undetermined service interval

So if it were me and I wanted to test the top 3 oil filters I would personally drop the Royal Purple and the Purolator Synthetic because they are both outperformed by at least the Fram Ultra, Amsoil EA, and Mobil 1 oil filters.

+1 on that input.

Fram is rated greater than not at 20 microns. See ENTIRE discussion above. And I put absolutely NO stock in manufacturer claims to life expectency as every vehicle will be different and there are too many variables to be able to make an absolute claim of X number of miles. Although It is safe to assume that RP can go just as far as the rest if not farther based on media surface and thickness.

If someone read the entire discussion above about the >20 microns talk, they would realize you don't grasp the mathematical concept of it all.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Tough Guard is rated for 10,000 miles, Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles. Most filters have plenty of headroom for holding capacity if your engine is healthy and not abused.

I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.
UP TO

Yes, all filters that advertise a "mileage rating" are "up to" that mileage.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So the ultra uses the same media,with similar specs and made by the same company with a different paint job but the RP is better because it costs more.

Notice how this got completely ignored?
wink.gif

Stay tuned for the full write up. Try and keep an open mind!
Pray tell me why I would need to wait for the write-up? Surely you already know the reasons why this filter is "the best", these reasons have to be why you choose this filter and state that it is the best. How about posting them?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Surely he can't plan on cutting them open, being unqualified and all that.

200_s.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Fram Tough Guard is rated for 10,000 miles, Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles. Most filters have plenty of headroom for holding capacity if your engine is healthy and not abused. I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.
UP TO
The Ultra is good for 15K; at least in my application and usage.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Fram specifically says on their website for the Ultra:
"Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides up to 15,000 miles of engine protection."

Of course there is head room in their spec, so on engines that are pretty new an clean and well taken care of it could probably go longer.

The only agenda here is the one perpetuated by those who won't stop until everyone uses the ultra and those that don't conform are either belittled, banned or chased off of this forum by continual harassment.

Hopefully one day this forum will get back on track, and members will respect each other and engage in productive discourse. That was what brought myself and many more members to this site in the first place.

It's pretty clear that you are a perpetual disruptive member on the board. You keep arguing that things never happened when there is clear evidence it surely did. It gets rather ridiculous, but it is entertaining.
wink.gif

I dont respond to personal attacks and I am revoking your filter cutting certificate.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So the ultra uses the same media,with similar specs and made by the same company with a different paint job but the RP is better because it costs more.

Notice how this got completely ignored?
wink.gif

It was not ignored. It was already established that they are made of completely different materials to different specifications.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Surely he can't plan on cutting them open, being unqualified and all that.

200_s.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Does up to mean "at least" or "at most"?
smile.gif

Obviously at most. I just read an article recently about peoples warranties being revoked because they were having engine damage secondary to prolonged OCIs. I believe it was hyundai that was denying warranty repairs due to extended OCIs. So go ahead guys, keep going 15k. Especially in todays Direct Inject systems. DI+Extended OCI= Dead motor.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the "full write up."

You dont have to read it. This started off between Zeeosix and myself. I agreed to use an FU and then see for myself if it stood up to all the hype. This is what being "objective" is all about.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Fram Tough Guard is rated for 10,000 miles, Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles. Most filters have plenty of headroom for holding capacity if your engine is healthy and not abused. I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.
UP TO

According to the M1 site, no special oil filters are required for the 15K OCI when using M1 EP oils. My friend that uses M1 5-30EP for 15K has proven this to be true.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the "full write up."

You dont have to read it. This started off between Zeeosix and myself. I agreed to use an FU and then see for myself if it stood up to all the hype. This is what being "objective" is all about.

This is a public forum in the USA, and I can say/read what I want, when I want, like you do. Within the moderators limits. Get your measuring instruments out, because the list of filters for the full write up, old and new, is pretty long. Two months, that will be the first week of August.

I dont respond to personal attacks and I am revoking your filter cutting certificate.
It's not a personal attack, it's a factual observation.
wink.gif

You better get that filter cutting training before you're big science project.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Benito
^ Does that mean 14,999 or can you do the full 15,000?

Means to 15,000 ... or maybe just 14,999.99999999 miles. So if the odometer said 15,000 it would be "close enough for practical purposes".
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back