PERMA-TECH OIL STOP LEAK WILL RUIN SEALS & GASKETS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to give a public warning on the end results of this product:
I had a minor leak 3-4 drops overnight on my 1200 mile complete overhauled motor,
I want to prevent this issue getting worst so I start looking for a top quality stop leak, I ended up convinced by the extreme high priced for 8 ounce bottle of $65.00 the fancy web site and the convincing claims of the seller.I follow all the instructions & I add this PERMA-TECH into the motor, let it run for 20 minutes and shut it down as per the instructions.
Next morning I observe minor drippings around the oil pan area as well as near the front and rear of the motor. Checked oil level was almost 1/2 of a 1/4 low & I added that much. Perma-Tech indicates that stop leak will take effect after 150 continued drive or 200 miles under normal driving conditions, I took a 45 mile trip and stop to check, I freaked out as oil was dripping allover the place under the car and full 1/4 low and all these within 45 miles, To make the long story short I keep adding oil and keep driving to give it a chance to work to reach 200 miles, Now I already have 260 miles on it & Unfortunately my oil leaks have been increased by 400%, Perma-tech somehow has ruined the molecular structure of the seals and gaskets, I was told by the same expert that I should have use a regular stop leak that are available to all local stores and under $10.00 Contacted Perma-Tech recommend to sent me another bottle but have to pay $16.90 for shipping, What a play, Lesson learned: if the car leaks fix it period, I also found out that Perma-Tech & Dura-Seal is the same company under the ABX Cprp. Selling to victims like my self but I wasn't aware, Now you are aware thanks to Bob's site, by the way I have taken some close up pictures before and after if someone want this proof, just email me.
Regads to all
Yanis

Now this is a great first post!
welcome2.gif
36.gif

Yu had 1200 miles on a completely overhauled motor, the motor started to leak, you decided NOT to go back to the supplier and have them fix it under warranty..

I think the additive yo added voided the warranty.

Lesson learned for next time?

Yes you are right, Lesson learned, Reason I choose the Perma-tech, I was fooled with their fancy web site, and not willing to go 300 miles to the shop that did the work at the first place also few drops over night I thought no big deal, as you said lesson learned,
Regards
Yanis

You have my sympathy dude. Is there a way of proving permanent-tech caused the damage? You could have thm foot the bill for a new motor..

Originally Posted By: Olas
Yu had 1200 miles on a completely overhauled motor, the motor started to leak, you decided NOT to go back to the supplier and have them fix it under warranty..

Exactly. Hopefully the guy who built the engine does the right thing now and fixes it. I don't think I'd mention adding a stop leak product...........
27.gif

Good luck.

Or maybe it was a complete Coincidence, many of you give additives way to much credit, good and bad.

If your rebuilt engine was dripping oil before,then you already have a big problem.
Drain your oil and get yhat junk out.
I would contact whoever rebuilt your engine and have them fix it.
You did get a warranty right?

Originally Posted By: Olas

I would tend to agree as this would be the proper procedure.

My position on any stop leak is that it's a last ditch effort to save your vehicle for another year or two. It's like a risky surgery. You have 6 months to live and a lot of pain. The surgery might kill you or it might give you a good year or two extra.

From a casual reading of stop leak reviews it seems that 40% of people have success, 50% of people have no effect and 10% of people have something catastrophic happen.

it sounds like you just had catastrophic oil leaks that nothing would have solved. fix it right the first time and dont waste money on miracle cures.

A basic principle of marketing, buyers think a higher price means a "better" product. Look at all the folks using "high test" gas in 87 octane engines with knock sensors. Or... 50 dollar tubs of car wax.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Or maybe it was a complete Coincidence, many of you give additives way to much credit, good and bad.

This statement should be mentioned in the OTC additives forum.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

thumbsup2.gif

Every day... it should be mentioned in that forum every dang DAY.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

thumbsup2.gif

+2

What I'd do if I were you,drain the present oil fill,drop the oil pan to get every last possible bit out,then refill with a good conventional oil (Pennzoil,Castrol,Valvoline,etc. Or even Super Tech) and a Fram Extra Guard filter. See if you get any continued leakage and make arrangements to have the engine redone correctly at the shop who initially did the work. It obviously was a sloppy job and they owe you a proper repair.

I'm willing to bed the additive didn't ruin your engine,sounds to be like the improper seals had decided to let go.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm willing to bed the additive didn't ruin your engine,sounds to be like the improper seals had decided to let go.

Me too, or something was wrong with the work.

Yes I did got warranty on the work but I cannot blame the shop, They did an excellent job, as I had mentioned I already had 1200 miles on the motor with out any leaks,
the weekend before I did ditched the 4Runner out on the desert and maybe the sudden impact into a ditch may have somehow pushed the main shaft forward resulting in an abnormal fit the front seal or disturbance to it and after this incident it start the few drops over night, and that was what I was trying to fix using this $64.00 additive into the oil and then all [censored] broke loose.
No I cannot blame the shop, I blame me for not going back and see what it takes to do it properly, but I wasn't expecting the rest of the leaks to take place, so in my book yes they are nasty stuff,
I appreciate your input,
Regards
Yanis

Here I am now to ask Bob what his recommendation may be for a new good quality synthetic for my 4 Runner, it is a 1992 V6 Auto 4WD and run it in the hot Arizona desert,temperature from now on above 110F on everyday basis, Maybe I should go with a little thicker oil?? after what I had encounter with that Perma-Tech stuff? any suggestions will be very welcome,
Regards to all
Yanis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back