Its flooding down in Texas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm wearing my low water pants here. And life is great.

Thats just incredibly sad you stoop to taking a jab at fellow Americans whose families have lost their homes. I guess you got some kind of hatred against Texas. I never saw it reciprocated when you people were struck with blizzards and miserably cold weather.

Anyways, the flooding victims will rebuild, and we will enjoy our 72 degree Januarys and Feburarys. Have a great day.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Thats just incredibly sad you stoop to taking a jab at fellow Americans whose families have lost their homes. I guess you got some kind of hatred against Texas. I never saw it reciprocated when you people were struck with blizzards and miserably cold weather.

Anyways, the flooding victims will rebuild, and we will enjoy our 72 degree Januarys and Feburarys. Have a great day.

I thought your initial post was insensitive:

Stevie Ray Vaughn lyrics:

Well there's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
And I've been tryin' to call my baby
Lord and I can't get a single sound'

People are losing their lives and homes and you sing a song? Maybe we both made a mistake and didn't realize how bad things were at the time we posted.

Even though I've only lived here 39 years I have observed weather extremes to be a Texas hallmark. That doesn't mean that there are not issues elsewhere.

But, keep in mind that the growth explosion in this state, as referenced earlier in this thread, has contributed to the toll that this weather takes on people and property. You can't simply dam up rivers and throw down concrete wherever you want. This is one way we are paying the price for the shortsightedness of our leadership who seem to think that "growth at all costs" is a good mantra.

I am not dissing Texas and also not saying that all of the destruction here was in heavily populated areas (i.e. Mineral Wells). What I am saying is that every region has its pros and cons. People who move here are trying to avoid buyers remorse like any other human being. It's a place that, right now, has a favorable economic climate. Eventually, equilibrium returns.

I thought your initial post was insensitive:

Stevie Ray Vaughn lyrics:

And I've been tryin' to call my baby
Lord and I can't get a single sound'

People are losing their lives and homes and you sing a song? Maybe we both made a mistake and didn't realize how bad things were at the time we posted.

WRONG. If you take your head out of your posterior, look and see that initial post was dated 4-17, NOT 5-28.

The initial post was in the beginning stages of the torrential rainfall, in rural areas near my home. It was NOT flooding or destroying homes at that point. Like I said then "We need a break".

This second round, over a month later, which is doing all the damage, is mostly located in Cen-Tex and Houston. Its a different animal, there are no songs involved. Don't try to debate with me. You will lose.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

several posters from the gulf coast states, cali., phoenix area, & Nevada give jabs to the northerners that have a winter, every year. last winter was an insane one for the northeast u.s., and people were still giving jabs.
I remember one poster, who lives in the desert (I won't name him), was giving his standard jab, and a couple of guys took exception to his jabs, and called him out on it.he quickly retreated.
personally, I would never live in an area in which natural disasters are a common occurrence.or where a good part of the year is over 90-95, and 105, 110 is common.or where earthquakes, drought, crazy rains and mudslides exist.or where this texas, Oklahoma and areas north, have the crazy storms and tornadoes. or where crazy storms batter the gulf coast -- and don't forget those pesky hurricanes.

but,that's me.people choose to live where they want. if you don't like the weather -- move.
to the people that give jabs at others because of the weather conditions -- you have no class.almost always, it's as I mentioned early in my post.
but, some just don't know when to shut up.
to those in texas, and the tornado stricken areas --hang in there.
have a good night, all.

We finally got two days without rain and even got a little sunshine.
But rain is predicted tomorrow and this weekend.
Many lives have been lost and lots of property damage.
We already have exceded last years total rainfall.
Very sad for all affected,luckily for me I only lost some tree limbs.

We're in for more rain in the early AM - here we go again.
Hopefully people will heed the warning this time and not try to cross running waters.

This pic sums it up...

Last edited:
What's the verdict on climate change being behind this? The governor said it's the worst he's seen.

Originally Posted By: Benito
What's the verdict on climate change being behind this? The governor said it's the worst he's seen.

The verdict is Houston and surrounds have a long and illustrious history of flooding for decades.

There is not any reason to use it for political purposes but of course it will be leveraged HARD.

Please note that climate change is real and no one can doubt that it does indeed change. But the jury is still out on what is the 'cause'. Could be all that hot air...

Well guys Dallas got 6-7" of rain early AM today.
We really didn't need anymore,lots of street flooding and cars underwater.
This is the wettest May on record and I hope I dont see another one even close to this.
The ground is so saturated that even a little rain flows into streets and flash floods happen in only minutes.
Alot of rescues going on this morning.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Well guys Dallas got 6-7" of rain early AM today.
We really didn't need anymore,lots of street flooding and cars underwater.
This is the wettest May on record and I hope I dont see another one even close to this.
The ground is so saturated that even a little rain flows into streets and flash floods happen in only minutes.
Alot of rescues going on this morning.

This all started (the flooding in Dallas) the morning I flew out. I woke up to a flash flood warning on my phone. Things went downhill from there with many more of those popping up while I was at the airport.

Hope you and yours are safe. How long does this normally last for?

What I have read is that it's an El Niño effect. Though this is the wettest May on record I have seen flooding similar to this in DFW several times over my 39 years here. But, there are more lakes here now (all man-made of course) and a lot more concrete. All of this disrupts the natural water flow across floodplains.

By the time July rolls around we'll be whining about the heat.

The floodplains are now flooded!

Weather in Texas has long been described as "extended periods of drought, interrupted by flash floods."

A good portion of our state has been in a long-term drought for about a decade now, maybe a bit less. Same thing happened in the 50's. This May, the flash floods returned and the drought is over. All the water coursing downhill from the basin, has caused Lake Travis to rise > 21 feet in a week. That's huge given the surface area of the lake. It's doing it's job: Controlling flood water and preventing Austin from being wiped out.

The trees, landscapes, wild brush, aquifers, wildlife and lakes are getting replenished, which means it'll be a green Summer here, I won't have to water the yard until maybe August and the threat of wildfires will be low. Indeed, it has been a very WET May across Texas. The shrimp industry won't like it though.

Flooding in Houston and Central Tx is nothing new. I grew up in the former and live in the later. My Heart goes out to all who lost everything + friends and family members. The definition of devastating loss, piled upon itself. Now they're having to clean up, unprotected from the heat, high humidity, mosquitos, snakes, big clumps of fire ants. Their house and possessions are soaked in mud, gasoline, oil and raw sewage. Don't forget about mold & mildew growing on everything as well. They must be buried in overwhelming grief and dispare when confronting the magnitude of their loss.

I don't and never will, understand why some drive through a barricaded, flooded low water crossing. Owning a truck, SUV or Suburban with AWD doesn't matter: Period. The force of Nature could care less and you'll experience severe consequences. Perhaps due to a life devoid of serious injury or threat? I don't know.

I also don't understand why anyone, particularly with their families, would go to sleep in a riverhouse, with lightning, thunder, their cell phones going off, all local programming pre-empted with continuous weather alerts and storm warnings, advising them to LEAVE...GET OUT....NOW. A $20 weather radio could have saved their lives and their kids, if they'd left. They would also still have a car. Some were wise enough to do so, but many others obviously did not.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I don't and never will, understand why some drive through a barricaded, flooded low water crossing. Owning a truck, SUV or Suburban with AWD doesn't matter: Period. The force of Nature could care less and you'll experience severe consequences. Perhaps due to a life devoid of serious injury or threat? I don't know.

I also don't understand why anyone, particularly with their families, would go to sleep in a riverhouse, with lightning, thunder, their cell phones going off, all local programming pre-empted with continuous weather alerts and storm warnings, advising them to LEAVE...GET OUT....NOW. A $20 weather radio could have saved their lives and their kids, if they'd left. They would also still have a car. Some were wise enough to do so, but many others obviously did not.

Agreed. I hope they don't get government assistance for their mistakes but it looks like our sympathizer in chief already opened the floodgates with federal aid (so to speak).

Don't go dissing Federal Disaster Aid. You are one bad winter away from needing it. Stuff like that is why we pay taxes.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: yeti
personally, I would never live in an area in which natural disasters are a common occurrence.or where a good part of the year is over 90-95, and 105, 110 is common.or where earthquakes, drought, crazy rains and mudslides exist.or where this texas, Oklahoma and areas north, have the crazy storms and tornadoes. or where crazy storms batter the gulf coast -- and don't forget those pesky hurricanes.

but,that's me.people choose to live where they want. if you don't like the weather -- move.

I probably shouldn't chime in here - but I will anyway.

The majority of people (>50%) 'choose' to live in an area near where they grew up. That's where they're from, that's where their family is, that's all they've ever really known, and that's where they're gonna stay. And there isn't one [censored] thing wrong with that - it's a good formula for happiness if that's what makes you happy. I certainly miss living close to where I grew up. I for one view most of the 'jabs' as 'all in good fun'. Oh you got 10" of snow today? That's nice, it's sunny and 72 degrees here, have a nice day. That's OK, wait 6 months and it'll be 110 degrees there and I'll be enjoying my 72 degrees.

That changes when natural disaster strikes and people lose their lives or their homes/belongings. We could all use a lesson in sympathy. There are natural disasters in all different parts of the continent, whether it be cold weather/blizzards in the north/northeast, tornadoes in the plains, rain/hurricanes/tropical storms along the gulf coast, or earthquakes in Cali. My heart goes out to all the people impacted.

The 'you don't like it, move' attitude is a bit calloused. The decision to move halfway across the country is difficult (having been through it myself) and it turns your life upside down, with no guarantee you will be any better off or happier on the other end. I'm gonna move 1,000 miles just because I don't like the weather? Sorry, there's a bit more that plays into that decision.

To all my friends/family in TX - stay dry, and be careful!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The verdict is Houston and surrounds have a long and illustrious history of flooding for decades.

There is not any reason to use it for political purposes but of course it will be leveraged HARD.

You hit the nail on the head here. They don't call it the Bayou City for nothing. Most Houstonians are aware of the risks of flooding (usually due to hurricanes/tropical storms, though). But that doesn't make it much easier when it happens to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back