Any reason NOT to take low dose Aspirin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a lucky guy so far with no long term meds daily and "healthy". Well, probably need to loose 30lbs and eat even more hay or roughage or rocks.

Again and again I've read of the benefits of taking a low dose aspirin at appx. 40 and older. For the heart and especially antinflammation. Also read that a lifetime of inflammation and modern doses of chemicals in products and modern diet leads to the expression of prostate cancer.

So with all that. Is there any reason NOT to take a low dose Aspirin?

If you are going to take it I'd suggest you seek out low dose chewable children's aspirin rather than the coated low dose stuff. Some studies have show that coated version is very difficult to absorb and is not effective.

Over the years since turning 50 I take low dose aspirin for 2-3 months at a time maybe 4-5 days a week and then take a break for a month or so and repeat. Haven't noticed any downside or side effects whatsoever.

Probably the biggest side effect is stomach bleeding. I take a daily low dose aspirin. It's the wonder drug. Just take it with food.

A scientist I was working with 20 years ago told me that a study of autopsies performed on elderly men showed that 75% of them had prostate cancer. None of them died of prostate cancer and the presumption is that most never even knew that had it.

Eat healthy, exercise, look into adding fish oil to your supplements and hope for the best.

You can put the best world's best oil into a car but if it's not designed or built properly it won't enjoy a long trouble free life. It's hard to overcome genetics.

on a psychological factor,
it may fool you into thinking that just taking a magic pill will greatly improve your health, but cause you to neglect doing other beneficial things but which require effort like you said.

Last edited:
Like others have said.. Take with food. Get the chewable one. It can cause bleeding but very unlikely in such a low dose. Another thought is that if you have a family history of PEs or DVTs this is a great thought. My step father developed a DVT after knee surgery. He had 3 family members die from blood clots. This was a very real concern. Well four months later he had his yearly cardiac exam that showed he had atrial fibrillation. So, the aspirin and warfarin he was on really was a great thing. A fib can form blood clots in the heart that can get pushed upward into a patients brain. Serious strokes can and do happen this way.
So if you have a family history or cardiac problems, PEs, and DVTs than get yourself checked EVERY year. Could save your life or keep you from a terrible stroke. Tell you the truth man .. Saddest things I have seen was a fella in his mid 40s who had a very bad one. Couldn't even take care if himself. This was very very hard to see. So, if this is the case.. Take care of yourself.

So in order to counteract the effects of poor diet and pumping yourself full of chemicals for the first half of your life you plan on continuing with your poor diet and pumping yourself full of another chemical for the second half of your life? Sounds logical.

Or you can change your diet to one that has little to no chemicals, minimizes inflammation, and promotes overall good health.

But the baby pill a day option is just so much more convenient.

Its something you want to discuss with your doctor. While good for most, its not appropriate for everyone. I do take it daily after a discussion with my doctor.

More important than low dose aspirin is having a primary doctor and regular checkups as you get older.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm 53 and take zero prescription meds.

An occasional aspirin every other day.

That was me also 18 years ago, then I got cancer, got that in remission got high blood pressure, then diabetics, then kidney problems, the list keeps growing. Am now 71, getting old isn't for the weak.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Like others have said.. Take with food. Get the chewable one. It can cause bleeding but very unlikely in such a low dose. Another thought is that if you have a family history of PEs or DVTs this is a great thought. My step father developed a DVT after knee surgery. He had 3 family members die from blood clots. This was a very real concern. Well four months later he had his yearly cardiac exam that showed he had atrial fibrillation. So, the aspirin and warfarin he was on really was a great thing. A fib can form blood clots in the heart that can get pushed upward into a patients brain. Serious strokes can and do happen this way.
So if you have a family history or cardiac problems, PEs, and DVTs than get yourself checked EVERY year. Could save your life or keep you from a terrible stroke. Tell you the truth man .. Saddest things I have seen was a fella in his mid 40s who had a very bad one. Couldn't even take care if himself. This was very very hard to see. So, if this is the case.. Take care of yourself.

I should point out that Aspirin and Warfarin are contraindicated. (At least in the UK)

As the anti platelet action of Aspirin is not really relevant when the blood is already being thinned.

I think Clopidgrel is the alternative. But would have to find and double check in BNF.

If your already healthy there's no need for it. I get blood work done every year during my annual physical. The main thing is genetics. I've got heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure on both sides of the family and thus far all is good for this 37 year old.

No need for it, unless there's a problem and a doctor makes the recommendation to use it.

Aspirn has risk of bleeding strokes the risk may not be high but obviously see your doc to see if you are a candidate.

If you have low colesterol your whole life you probably don't need it. I take a statin to maintain very low colesterol. I wish I had been taking it 15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I'm a lucky guy so far with no long term meds daily and "healthy". Well, probably need to loose 30lbs and eat even more hay or roughage or rocks.

Guys like you should take pills to try to improve your health. You claim to be healthy, but then go on to say that you're fat and have a poor diet. Like so many Americans, you're in denial about how poor and unbalanced your diet really is. So by all means, rather than eat smart and healthy, take a few pills to try to compensate.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If your already healthy there's no need for it. I get blood work done every year during my annual physical. The main thing is genetics. I've got heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure on both sides of the family and thus far all is good for this 37 year old.

That's something I'm trying to stay ahead of. Genetics aren't going to be good to me ...

Cut sugar,
Cut Animal fats,

eat reduced quantity with lots of fresh fruits
keep BP normal,
go for LONG walks and sleep 6 hrs plus a night.
I lost 15 lbs just with sleeping and eating well without any exercise.
but gained it back when I went back to my old habits :-(.

Aspirin, good if you can tolerate it, make sure it is enteric. I can't tolerate any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back