residue on antifreeze cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to start off by saying i am not concerned about this but am curious what it is. My first thought was stop leak sealer from the factory but i am mot even sure they still do that. ... any thoughts? Anyome elses new cars have this? The focus has 13300 miles roughly .

6z10md.jpg

I would be concerned with it looking like that after only 13K miles. My Subaru had factory stop leak, which they call "cooling system conditioner" and under the cap still looks brand new.

From the factory, Ford still puts a Bars tablet in the cooling systems. I was told this by a Ford worker on the assembly line.

I'd be worried if I bought a new car wit a warranty and it looked like that - I'd be straight back to the dealer and insist they replace every component I the cooling system.

If I bought a used car and saw that I wouldn't be too surprised - a dishwasher tablet and a couple hours driving will clean it right up ready for you to drain, flush and fill with your choice of coolant.

It doesn't really make a difference wether anybody had this on a new car - you have this problem now!

If you still have warranty, approach the dealer to fix it. If they refuse to help and tell you it's supposed to be like that then first yu never buy anything from them ever again, and second you do a dishwasher tablet cleanup, drain flush & fill.

Simples
smile.gif

Yea but what actually is it is my question? I dont want to make a deal out of nothing.

It could become a big deal if you don't take it to the dealership to have them check it out. I wouldn't touch it, take it to them as it is. Let them clean it off, flush and fill it. A one year old car shouldn't have crud starting to build up like that. Most if not all new cars have a 100K+ mile service interval on antifreeze but something has happened to your cooling system that requires some attention.

Those use a pressurized reservoir type system?

not the old kind "overflow"

and the coolant is basically dexcool?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Yea but what actually is it is my question? I dont want to make a deal out of nothing.

I've often wondered what it's composed of but never bothered sending a sample to be analysed. Always guessed it was a combination of corrosion from iron components and silicate falling out of solution.

Regardless of what it's made of it could be indicative of a larger problem s have the dealer look at it

Looks like a bit of casting sand residue to me, its common enough in a production line engines and not a problem.
Notify the dealer to confirm and have it noted, a small about of casting sand is not grounds for flushing it. Aluminum engines are more likely to have a very minor amount as they use no core plugs for easy clean out after casting like an iron engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Looks like a bit of casting sand residue to me, its common enough in a production line engines and not a problem.
Notify the dealer to confirm and have it noted, a small about of casting sand is not grounds for flushing it. Aluminum engines are more likely to have a very minor amount as they use no core plugs for easy clean out after casting like an iron engine.

I do appreciate your answer whether you are right wbo knows for sure but it certainly makes sense. I will be honest my time at the dealership and now at an independent who doesnt see real new cars alot i havent seen this on any new car. But who knows. Im pretty sure if some irregularity can happen itll happen to me .

You wont see it on brand new on the lot engines they need to get a few miles on them, its usually only a very small amount although some Chrysler engines have been reporting clogged hear cores and such.
Yours is very little and nothing to loose sleep over from what i can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back