Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 119K miles on my truck I finally got around to changing the factory installed spark plugs today. The gaps were .078" to .080". It sure idles very smooth now and the gas mileage should get a little better too.
qoah3o.jpg

Wow I would never go that long on a plug. But then again most people would not go as long as I go on my oil changes, and other things........

They don't look that bad though.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Wow I would never go that long on a plug. But then again most people would not go as long as I go on my oil changes, and other things........

They don't look that bad though.

Why not? Afraid the plugs will seize?

I went 149k on the original plugs in my old Subaru, and they were regular copper plugs. The electrodes were worn down to nubs, but there were no notable performance issues, nor did changing them improve or change anything.

They do look pretty darn good. I guess platinum plugs can possibly go way long too. In my pain in behind car the three plugs nearest the firewall had upper manifold intake and throttle body in the way.. Sucked. I hope yours was way easier.

Hmmm I thought they were like 50 to 75k. But like you said.. It really does depend upon application. That's cool to learn

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmm I thought they were like 50 to 75k. But like you said.. It really does depend upon application. That's cool to learn

Well they usually say replace them at 60k, but some manufacturers recommend 100k based on marketing advice since it possible and they can advertise lower maintenance costs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: bbhero

Well they usually say replace them at 60k, but some manufacturers recommend 100k based on marketing advice since it possible and they can advertise lower maintenance costs.

There's an EPA mandate to make it a pretty good distance without misfires. I'd like to say 8 years/ 80k but it could be even longer.

BlueOvalFitter, What's the published gap of the new ones?

I changed the plugs on a neighbor's '01 Camaro w/96,000 miles.
The originals were fine wire platinums as well (ACDelco's best).
I installed ACDelco coppers for cost's sake as I was hunting down a problem on a budget.

The improvement in performance was marked.
I'd bet against any performance feature of the regular coppers having improved things.
The originals were only 20% wider than spec. That made the difference. Kira

On my Honda Fit the change is a pain.

First, the plugs from the dealer were over 100$ for the 4.

So I started planning. Got them, after shipping and everything, for ~50$ a pack of 4 OEM NGK from Rock Auto.

Ordered a few days ago the cowl clips for 10$ USD conversion and shipping off Ebay.

Next Summer I'll change the plugs before they potentially seize...

BUT, it is good to change them to also be sure nothing LOOSENED.

I don't see any point changing plugs after 9 years with Laser Iridiums to scrap the car the following year up here in the rust belt.

Change out the plugs early and enjoy the new ones FWIW before the car is scrap.

Originally Posted By: Kira
BlueOvalFitter, What's the published gap of the new ones?

I installed ACDelco coppers for cost's sake as I was hunting down a problem on a budget.

The improvement in performance was marked.
I'd bet against any performance feature of the regular coppers having improved things.
The originals were only 20% wider than spec. That made the difference. Kira

The factory gap is .054".
I bought them from Rockauto.com for $3.19 each. I needed rear brake pads also so I ordered those too. Both parts came from the same warehouse so shipping was only $5.16.
My cousin was nice enough to install the pads and the plugs. Being I am on SSDI it prevents me from doing the work myself.
BTW, I also received a $15 rebate from Wagner on the pads.
thumbsup2.gif

In the photo, the top plug seems to have some debris and a female thread filled with what appears to be aluminum (the center threads).

Did you strip some engine thread or is that just an anomaly with the photograph?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
In the photo, the top plug seems to have some debris and a female thread filled with what appears to be aluminum (the center threads).

Did you strip some engine thread or is that just an anomaly with the photograph?

Thanks.
Might be the dreaded antitseize.

Originally Posted By: Falken
On my Honda Fit the change is a pain.

First, the plugs from the dealer were over 100$ for the 4.

So I started planning. Got them, after shipping and everything, for ~50$ a pack of 4 OEM NGK from Rock Auto.

Ordered a few days ago the cowl clips for 10$ USD conversion and shipping off Ebay.

Next Summer I'll change the plugs before they potentially seize...

BUT, it is good to change them to also be sure nothing LOOSENED.

I don't see any point changing plugs after 9 years with Laser Iridiums to scrap the car the following year up here in the rust belt.

Change out the plugs early and enjoy the new ones FWIW before the car is scrap.

The GE's are about a pain compared to the GD.... It's a 15-20 minute job on the little 1.5 Honda motor, once you can actually get access back there..... Last I looked at a GE it was like you had to practically tear the cowl apart with the wiper motors and all..... lovely design.

I changed the original plugs (NGK Iridium) on my wife's 07 GD Honda Fit Sport with a little over 70-71k miles. Free plugs through the Denso Iridium TT test program. No issues with original plugs being seized up even in the nice salty air here on the gulf coast and living a few hundred feet from saltwater. They were actually kinda on the loose side, maybe 5-7 ft/lbs to break loose, if that much. For condition, 3 plugs looked fine, 1 plug looked pretty bad and was due.

It's amazing what modern fuel control and ignition systems can do that help extend the life of a spark plug. This would not have worked in the days before fuel injection and electronic ignition systems.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Thanks.

It's anti seize.

Originally Posted By: Kira

3800 V-6, or LS1 V-8??

IF the latter, how bloody, scratched, and sore are your forearms and hands??
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back