50s Clinton 2hp Detergent or Non-Detergent SAE 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Simplicity model D walk behind tractor with a sickle bar and 2hp cast iron Clinton Engine. I was planning on doing an oil change, but have no idea how good previous maintenance was and what oil was used. The current fill is very black and sorta goopy looking. The engine runs beautiful and I have yet to even see a puff of smoke. I've only ran it for about 45 minutes. So detergent or non detergent for this oldie? Thanks

Personally I would use detergent, but at the same time it will probably last just as long on the non. Those old clinton's were tougher than nails.

Original oil was any brand of 30 weight. Use any 30 weight, or the universal mower oil, Rotella T III 15W-40

Edit: Rotella T-5 10W-30 semi-syn would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Original oil was any brand of 30 weight. Use any 30 weight, or the universal mower oil, Rotella T III 15W-40

Edit: Rotella T-5 10W-30 semi-syn would be a good choice.

I would agree with this choice.....But I would make the first OCI short, and monitor the oil for how quickly it might get nasty again. A couple or three oil changes, and it should clean up.

You are not going to be using this engine for hours and hours I presume. Most likely just use a bit here and there for nostalgia , no?

Wont really matter to be honest, but will go with the usual recommendation to stick with a detergent SAE30, and change it pretty soon afterwards as a flush and should be good to go every 20 hours or so.

No synthetic or semi synthetic oil at all. Had terrible luck on really old engines using synthetic.

Back before dinosaurs made oil, I was told that if a small engine had an oil filter, use detergent...if not, then use non-detergent. Something about the detergents picking up and holding contaminants then circulating them around the insides of a non-filtered engine.

Both of my more modern OPE (lawn mower and generator) have no filters, yet the MFRs recommend HD-30. Was I told wrong back then or did the thinking change with the technology?

You beat me to it RFO . Mostly, it boils down to making sure it has oil in it before you use it. Using some sort of engine oil is recommended.

thing were bad in the old days... Of course you use engine oil, ie. with add packs and detergents.
Maybe in some compressors you could use compressor oil (which -may- be ND,but thats that)

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Back before dinosaurs made oil, I was told that if a small engine had an oil filter, use detergent...if not, then use non-detergent. Something about the detergents picking up and holding contaminants then circulating them around the insides of a non-filtered engine.

Both of my more modern OPE (lawn mower and generator) have no filters, yet the MFRs recommend HD-30. Was I told wrong back then or did the thinking change with the technology?

Honestly that is a wives tale that has been going on for 70 years. It just won't die. Non detergent oil doesn't have the proper additives to be used as motor oil in a combustion engine. Using it will cause excessive wear and tear on the engine. Yes you were told wrong back than.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back