98_V70: Mich. Primacy MXM4 "Chunking"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DT rep where I bought these tires from, said both fronts exhibited "chunking". Said they'd had numerous problems/reports on some Michelins and was due to a rubber compound unable to go the distance in the Texas heat. They had similar problems in Az.

These are both 205/55 R16 91H's with date codes: 3810.
FL: I: 11/64" C: 12/64 O:9/64
FR: "...7/64..."...8/64.".8/64
Mileage on both: ~ 30kmi. 80% in town which can be hilly & twisty at times. Warranty is 50 - 60kmi I think.

Tires%20003_zpspomupcnz.jpg

Tires%20002_zpspmsoggio.jpg

Tires%20006_zpsybjxfuex.jpg

Tires%20005_zpsrubslnkv.jpg

I recently noticed quite a bit of vibration at sustained 70mph. It's been awhile since I've been out of town on a trip.

I've never seen any tires do this on this car & they've all been Michelins. He said they'd pro-rate the tires, which comes out to $50/each towards new ones, of my choice. They're currently getting ~$150 ea for new ones.

When I asked about a rebalance, he said the wait would be 2hrs! There was hardly anyone there. He also said they couldn't swap them front-to-back due to 'safety' reasons. Previously, when new tires were put on the sled in the rear, it caused the handling to oversteer. She would really hook fast into the turns...lively to say the least. It's like the car was pivoting from the back seat! I went back to them and made them put the new tires on the front. Not sure if other cars get squirrely like this, but the sled does!

I'm rethinking my choice of Michelins now....they're quite expensive. Conti's are 1/3 the price. Any suggestions?

What do you tire experts see in my photos?

Think I would send these pictures to Michelin direct and tell them your story how previous Michelins did not do this.

I have Kumho Ecsta 4X on my S2000 and E430, they are much better than Continental DWS on both dry and wet surfaces. The Kumho 4X tires on my E430 currently have less than 4/32" tread remaining and they are smooth as new.

Currently Kumho has $100 rebate for 4 newer 4X-II, the tread life warranty is only 40k miles. I think 205/55-16 is about $100/ea, with $50 prorate per tire and $100 rebate your cost should be $100 plus installation/balance and tax, but you may pay tax on $400 for 4 tires.

not that its the problem but is your alignment good. that's uneven wear as well.. might be making the issue worse.

You see wear like that on hot racetracks frequently... not enough camber or too much body roll and the outside shoulder gets overheated, and starts to "chunk..."

On a street driven car, that would seem extreme, however...

How hot, and how hard do you corner...?

Last edited:
Do you have a favourite 270 deg off ramp that you drift all the way around? I do get some mild chunking on the outside edge of most tires as they age, but nothing like that.

Keep pushing for a better deal, but there are other brands. So far I am happy with the Conti PureContacts that replaced by Primacy MVX4's. The Michelins did last the whole 60K warranty, and more, but I merely simmer here in Maryland.

First, call Michelin directly. See if you can get a better deal.

Second, work through Discount Tire. They should be able to apply whatever Michelin is willing to do to another brand (if that is what you want) - even if Michelin says that their offer only applies to their brand.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have had 3 sets of bad Michelin tires...forget them.

Well, I have had about a dozen sets of excellent Michelins. So....I win.

To the OP.....Those tires are pretty worn, anyway. Do you know how old they are? If it were me, I would take the $50 per tire and be quite happy. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
...Second, work through Discount Tire.

+1 Did that on a OE BFG Rugged Trail on an Explorer that got a puncture on an unrepairable area. DT counter guy called Michelin, got me a prorated rated price on an identical new tire.

As for the subject tire(s), to my untrained eye, especially in pics 1 and 2, it looks 'to me' as though the outside half of the tire is wearing faster than inner half with some feathering. While there may be some issue with the tires too, I'd want to get an alignment/check.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As for the subject tire(s), to my untrained eye, especially in pics 1 and 2, it looks 'to me' as though the outside half of the tire is wearing faster than inner half with some feathering. While there may be some issue with the tires too, I'd want to get an alignment/check.

Don't think it's a serious alignment issue, ... the outside blocks still have sipes and the grooves look the same as the inside blocks. On any car i've seen with a noticeable toe problem, the outside ( or inside...) tread blocks see very heavy wear, while the rest of the tire looks ok...

It is all to obvious a alignment/heat issue. Why would it be the just the outer row of tread?

Update:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! That's the great thing about BITOG!

I had an alignment done about 2 yrs ago. It was very close to where it should have been. I replaced both front struts and lower control arms (they were original) last Summer. I recently replaced the upper spring seat + bearing on the passenger side. The front end was rather mushy as the struts had no gas pressure. There is a major road I travel often with some tight twistys, however my max speed is about 45mph through them. Not exactly sled-power-sliding. However the outer wear could be due to more rolling/plowing with the worn-out struts. That's fixed now. Brand new Sachs.

Summer-time pavement temp can easily reach 140°F. Remember: Here we only have two Seasons: Summer and January...

I did file a report with Michelin customer service. I'm waiting to hear their deal.

As to age: I listed the date code above.

Overall, the sled has been very easy on tires. The SAAB 900T was MUCH worse if they weren't regularly rotated. I drive like an old man most of the time. On occasion, I do enjoy a good dose of spirited T5 boost!

Update II:
I called Michelin back as they didn't follow up. Turns out there was no record of my visit/TD meas. when I visited DT! Further, the guy who did the meas. wasn't there when Michelin called.

So I call DT, ask for the manager, "What's going on here?" Sure enough, no record of my visit at all. He asks that I visit (yet) again for meas/eval. Too busy to go down (not to mention the #$%! traffic...), so I'll go next week. FUBAR...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Update:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! That's the great thing about BITOG!

I had an alignment done about 2 yrs ago. It was very close to where it should have been. I replaced both front struts and lower control arms (they were original) last Summer. I recently replaced the upper spring seat + bearing on the passenger side. The front end was rather mushy as the struts had no gas pressure. There is a major road I travel often with some tight twistys, however my max speed is about 45mph through them. Not exactly sled-power-sliding. However the outer wear could be due to more rolling/plowing with the worn-out struts. That's fixed now. Brand new Sachs.

Summer-time pavement temp can easily reach 140°F. Remember: Here we only have two Seasons: Summer and January...

I did file a report with Michelin customer service. I'm waiting to hear their deal.

As to age: I listed the date code above.

Overall, the sled has been very easy on tires. The SAAB 900T was MUCH worse if they weren't regularly rotated. I drive like an old man most of the time. On occasion, I do enjoy a good dose of spirited T5 boost!

Wait a sec - your last alignment was 2-years ago, but you did some significant front-end suspension work last summer?

If this is a macpherson strut-style suspension, an alignment is a must after doing strut and lower control arm replacement.

I'd have to check the log to be sure, but I think the replacement order was LCA's, alignment, then struts. I was careful to fully push in on the struts while tightening the two bolts.

More to come later...

Update:
I return to DT and the same kid was there as last time! I ask him why my account didn't include any measurements he had taken. He said "there was no order." I reply that I've called Michelin twice now, they've called the store, looking for data for my claim and no joy.

He goes through the dance again, taking meas. and calls Michelin, while I wait. Says they gave me a better deal due to "chunking" than mileage. Offers 25% off any (and only any) tire they make/own: Michelin, BF Goodrich and Uniroyal. So no joy on Generals or Contis. This is -28% lower than what he offered in his original statement, see above.

His quoted "best" price for Mich. Primacy MXM4's is $144/ea. I said that doesn't sound like much of a deal. He said "We have the lowest price" avoiding eye contact and talking so fast and so low I ask him several times to speak up and slow down.

Last time I bought tires from them, I saved $20/tire by shopping around. The price winner? Sears. The guy couldn't believe it.

When I ask for another option, he mentions the Premier at $133. When I mention the General Altimax RT43, he replies that the BF Goodrich Advantage TA is "similar" at $95/ea. I don't know anything about it.

What do you guys think?

Also, when I asked about their price guarantee, he said they match any price. "Any?..online? Does it have to be local only" No, any. Last time, they wouldn't even match their own prices on DTon-line. They couldn't argue with Sears though...

I don't know anything about this Goodrich tire. As for Michelins, they sure are pricey now, and I'm suspicious if they'd ever make their mileage warranty.

A quick search revealed that, once again, Sears has the same Mich for $136, compared to DTs $144. I think it's time to have a chat with the DT store's manager.

I think he's offering you 25% off of the MSRP or list price on the tires. Do an on-line or phone quote from the same shop and see if the price is about the same; then bring it back and demand 25% off of that.

Update:
I lost the LR tire over the weekend. The date code was 2006. It is pretty worn. A steel cable + tread separated on the inside and it began slapping inside the wheel well! Fortunately my "donut" spare had air in it.

I followed up with Michelin today and learned two important things the kid at DT never told me: (1) They are offering a 30% discount, not 25% and (2) It's on ANY tire in their brand: Michelin, BF Goodrich or Uniroyal. The "kid" told me it was 25% and ONLY on a Michelin tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back