Have any of you gone to see Fury Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I did notice at one point Charlize Theron called out to the guys she made a deal with and told them she had their "guzzleline." It sounded weird when she said it since she does not have an Aussie accent. Is that just how Australians say gasoline (petrol)?

My guess is she is using contemporary, postapocalyptic jargon just like they are always talking in Rim world speech on Firefly.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I did notice at one point Charlize Theron called out to the guys she made a deal with and told them she had their "guzzleline." It sounded weird when she said it since she does not have an Aussie accent. Is that just how Australians say gasoline (petrol)?

My guess is she is using contemporary, postapocalyptic jargon just like they are always talking in Rim world speech on Firefly.

Interesting. That is how the word was pronounced in the Road Warrior, too.

Whatever it's called in your own part of this planet I'm sure we all share a similar love/hate relationship with it.

I was trying to explain the original Mad Max movies to my GF after we saw Fury Road. It's hard to relate if you weren't a fan. But, I found this and I think it does a good job of informing the uninitiated.

Oh, wow. I just noticed how much the "Halls of Justice" sign resembled this.

Auschwitz-%E2%80%93-Birkenau-.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed!

33ynd5z.jpg

Maybe it's a stretch, but there is this:

1zdonsn.jpg

Also the gate of the Webb Institute for Naval Architecture (Wayne Manor in Batman Forever):

25pojdg.jpg

I was thinking more about the misalignment of the letters and the drab, depressing look of the buildings inside the gate. Both the Halls of Justice and Auschwitz scream, to me, "Abandon all hope ye who enter these gates."

Have you heard the story of why the letter B in Arbeit is upside down in the sign above the Auschwitz gate?

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Have you heard the story of why the letter B in Arbeit is upside down in the sign above the Auschwitz gate?

Please tell. I did a quick online search and it seemed like it was some sort of silent protest by the iron worker who made it, but I am now very curious.

It is said that the prisoners who made the sign flipped the B upside down as a silent protest.

Thank you, BRZED. I am always looking to add to my mental database. I am serious, not being sarcastic - since a portion of my ancestors died at Auschwitz.

Since my great grandmother brought my grandfather and his brother to the U.S. from the Ukraine back when Russia was doing its "purges" I should modify that and say the relatives of my ancestors who stayed died in the camps in Poland. Let us not forget that WWII ended the lives of millions and the pre and post WWII period made it even worse thanks to Stalin's government.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The GF is a huge Tom Hardy fan so this will be the only way I could get her to go.

How about the fact that it's one of the VERY few action movies where women are actual characters instead of window dressing or accessories for the male characters?

Just saw the movie yesterday. I can think of a few movies, that i'd consider better than this, to have women as the main characters. The Terminator movies as well as the Alien movies. This idea has been done before. Honestly I don't care what genders the characters are as long as the movie seems interesting i'll watch it.

Good movie though to say the least. Too bad his car wasnt in it longer. I'd sure like to know the story behind all the vehicles. The main "war machine" semi looked to be just a military semi with a car body. Funny how every single car in an apocalyptic setting on prestine tires too.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back