Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much thought, I am truly starting to think it may be: is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust on all street-ridden motorcycles? The noiseboxes are just out of control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
After much thought, I am truly starting to think it may be: is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust on all street-ridden motorcycles? The noiseboxes are just out of control.

Why just motorcycles? I will preface by noting that I have 3 very quiet motorcycles, with totally stock exhaust systems. But noisy cars are a pain the the [censored] just as much as the HD straight pipers. Shut them all up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
How about bicycles start stopping at red lights and stop signs?

Maybe not mandate unaltered exhaust systems but perhaps a decibel limit. I agree i don't mind a bit of rumble but some those bikes are ridiculously loud.
Agree completely with the bicycles. When i rode, i always stopped, and i did not pass stopped cars on the right.

Last edited:

Perhaps that loud sound has accomplished precisely what the owner wanted: your attention.

That way, you don't run over/hit/kill the motorcycle that you didn't see...because you heard it first...

99% of the time the right wrist/foot controls the noise. Loud pipes on motorcycles DO save lives. It makes the texting idiot look up for a second.

Your public servants mandating anything never works out.

There are already noise/exhaust restrictions on cars, trucks and motorcycles. We are a free people.

No.

Besides that, I'm fairly certain that there are laws on the books in most places already concerning the subject. Surely, I am offended by nasty sounding things whether cars, bikes, trucks, bad stereos, etc., but not so offended that I would prefer additional legislation on the matter.

Singling out motorcycles among all offensive noises in our noisy world would be rather ignorant, too.

It's one thing to listen to a well built engine but for the most part 99% sound like just a loud POS.

Move to California as they have...

Originally Posted By: rossn2

Move to California as they have...

Ha! Yeah right. Every harley I ever see is a straight piped loud piece of c...

We are far too regulated by the state and federal governments as it is. Sometimes the price you pay to live in a free country is that you may occasionally be annoyed.

I see guys on Harleys in Daytona Beach with the tattoos and leather vest with patches... the cops don't bother them and the bikes are extremely loud.

We seem so concerned about, and the government seems to regulate so many needless things, but everyone turns a blind eye to noise pollution. I understand loud pipes save lives, but Harley's are plenty loud to start with. Do you really need to pull the baffles out? The other day I was driving down I-95 and two guys ripped buy me on sport bikes with zero exhaust and all their loud pipes did was startle the heck out of me. I almost spilled my beer. Don't get me started on leaf blowers. My neighbors drive me nuts chasing that last leaf around the yard.

Im ok with quiet bike when idiots driving stop the " oh I didn't see him there" [censored]

New Zealand had a noise limit, but it was totally ignored by everyone forever. Until....the Boi Racers started going round and round in cirles in Civics with big cans on the end. Then the public got peevedm and they decided to enforce the existing law. Motorcycles weren't a problem because they are usually going somewhere, noisy for a few seconds and then gone. But the Boi Racers didn't go away, they were just a noisy menace. It became part of my job doing safety/compliance testing to test these vehicles for excessive noise.

My BMW has a Supertrapp and is noisy - 97db. I prefer a bike that makes some noise I can hear, I don't like riding some insipid whirring motorcycle.

Illinois has this. Not enforced evidently from what I see and hear.

Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back