Nissan Ester Oil help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2013 infiniti g37x sedan and the manual recommends nissan ester oil for the engine with 5w-30 viscosity. I live in the chicago area and drive about 100 highway miles every day.

I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic on my previous cars with no issues, but I want to follow the manual for my new car.

Problem is, I can't find this Nissan Esters oil anywhere and when i do its $15-20/quart (ridiculous)

I need to do an oil change in June but I'm trying to decide which oil to use...
I'm currently looking at this Redline5w-30

From reading on various Nissan forums,40 weight oils seem to be the most popular in these cars (0W/5W40 synthetics).

Tell you what man.... Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a great fit for your car. It is one of the best products on the shelf. TBN over 11 and the additive package with it is stout. It is on sale at wally world for less than $25. Or you could run Delvac 5w-40 too. Ask Garak about it in here. He seems to really like it in his G 37. And by the way... I really like those 37s.. My car looks a decent bit like one. But it is just not the same. Awesome car though man
smile.gif

Basically, don't do it unless you like throwing away money. It is shear prone and ridiculously expensive. Up here, they don't even push the stuff because the dealer changes are expensive enough as it is. Here, Mobil products are the service fill. For the past while, the Nissan Ester Oil was pushed as one of the "make the customer shut up" stop gaps if the VVEL was making a bit of noise.

Note that the ester oil isn't ester based, so it's not really competing with Red Line. Red Line is a fine oil, but a bit expensive, too, and not technically meeting the requirements in the manual.

If you want to follow warranty requirements to the letter, any SN/GF-5 5w-30 (including Mobil 1, Pennzoil conventional, and many, many others on the market) fit that requirement. There also is a bit of strange wording in the manual that might let you get away with a non-ILSAC 5w-30 in SM or better.

How much warranty do you have left? As was noted, I like Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in mine, but it's not like I had any problems with Pennzoil conventional before. There are plenty of options. What intervals will you be going with? What brands do you prefer?

Originally Posted By: jnitto
I recently bought a 2013 infiniti g37x sedan and the manual recommends nissan ester oil for the engine with 5w-30 viscosity. I live in the chicago area and drive about 100 highway miles every day.

I have used Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic on my previous cars with no issues, but I want to follow the manual for my new car.

Problem is, I can't find this Nissan Esters oil anywhere and when i do its $15-20/quart (ridiculous)

I need to do an oil change in June but I'm trying to decide which oil to use...
I'm currently looking at this Redline5w-30

Both my son and daughter have late model Nissan V8 SUVs and use M1 5-30 with very good results.

Originally Posted By: jnitto

...I recently bought a 2013 infiniti g37x sedan and the manual recommends nissan ester oil for the engine with 5w-30 viscosity. I live in the chicago area and drive about 100 highway miles every day...

First of all, you don't have to use this over hyped oil. Any oil meeting the API grade and version is ok.

Secondly, the only real ester in this oil (as discussed here many times), is a small amount of friction modifier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Both my son and daughter have late model Nissan V8 SUVs and use M1 5-30 with very good results.

For harder driving, M1 5W30 definitely too thin for that VQ37VHR. It would make no difference though if drive like a grandma.

That's an interesting point. Driving hard CAN make a difference I guess?? I am leaning towards that is more than likely true.

So they say. I do drive like a grandma at times, and really had no issue with confidence in PYB. I just had something else around and decided to carry on with it due to cost and good success elsewhere.

I looked over the manual's wording again, and there is a slight loophole, at least for my model year. It calls for a 5w-30 with the API marking or the Starburst. So, that tells me that a 5w-30 SN/GF-5 is acceptable, but also that a 5w-30 CJ-4/SN like Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 would be acceptable. That would provide higher HTHS for someone who desired it, along with the 5w-30 grade an SN certification.

I have an '09 Nissan 370Z, same VQ37 engine at a slightly higher state of tune. I have had excellent UOA's with Redline 5W-30. I also had excellent reports with the Pennzoil Ultra (old formula, not the new Ultra Platinum) but it's discontinued. I was burning more oil between 5K OCI's with the Redline but that was for the first 35K miles and it has settled down now. Not sure if the Ultra was/is burning less or if the drop in consumption was coincidental to the switch.
You can get the Redline delivered to your door from Amazon for a pretty reasonable total. I also have been using the Mobil 1 110 size filters, slightly oversize from the standard 108 to get a little more oil capacity in the sump.

Wow. You guys are really helpful. Thanks for all the info.

I have thought about going with a 0w-40 at least for winter months (we've been getting -20 below or worse the last couple of winters here)

Also, I do drive pretty...spirited most of the time but calm it down when my wife is with me

My car has about 39,xxx miles and since I just bought her last week I have a 48mo/50k mile warranty from the dealer

I really liked mobile 1 5w-30 for my camaro and my wife's two last toyotas. So i'll probably try mobil 1's european car 0w-40 synthetic.

On the previous cars I used a 5k OCI and thats probably what i'll do with the g37. manufacturer recommends 3,250mi oci i believe

Dwight_Frye you mentioned a larger oil filter? I've never heard of anyone doing this...does that not mess with your oil pressure?

There are a good number of very smart and nice people on here. I've learned a lot from many people on here
smile.gif

You can use a larger filter provided it has the same specs has a smaller filter. For example on my VQ35 it is specd for the 6607 Fram. I can also use the 7317. It has the exact same pressure specs had the smaller one. Now everyone has their ideas whether or not using a larger filter is really worth using. And that is really in the eye of the beholder I think. But again, if you decide to use the larger one make sure it has same specs and that the only difference is size.
Good idea to go with a 0w oil given how super cold it had been the last two winters indeed. Heck it got to -5 F here in SE Virginia in 14. Been a very long time since we had a low temp that low. Can't imagine -20 or -30. Wow.. I like cold but geez. That's a bit wild

I prefer the specified filter, but the specified filter is problematic in a few ways, and I don't mean too short. Wix wants more money for the specified filter with a nitrile ADBV than any of the oversized versions. Hastings also wants more money for the specified one than the oversized one, though Hastings seems a little more lenient about going oversized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back