Toyota Camry oil recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm here to help zero in on the best motor oil for my car. As I near the end of toyotas free oil changes for new cars, I will begin my own. So here are some stats.

1) car - 2014 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder automatic transmission. 20,000 miles.

2) driving environment - 90% highway and freeway. I live in the 45-70 mph zone and 75% of that is in hilly terrain. I'm located in south east Missouri so some 90-100+ days and some below freezing nights. I typically let my car warm up for a few minutes in the winter because I'm close to the highway so I get to 55 rather quick a lot.

3) Toyota recommends a 0/20 oil which has been done by the dealer so far during its free maintenance period.

4) This will be my first vehicle using that thin of an oil. I plan to use a full synthetic and in the past have used either Mobil 1 or Valvoline full synthetics for all my vehicles. I don't recall why I switched to Valvoline but that's been my go to oil for a few years now. I'm not set on it if something is better because this is my main family car so a few extra bucks for something better is fine. I typically buy my oil and filter (wix or purulator, no fram) at Walmart, maybe autozone or lriellys if they're having a sale.

5) Toyota suggests 10,000 oil changes which I've done so far but considering my hilly terrain, I plan to change it a little early, maybe 8000. I always recycle my oil.

So, if there is anything else I can provide info wise to get your exact feedback, please let me know. Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
Extended performance?

Yup. Majority PAO lubricant, making it a good value at its price point.

Extended performance?

Yes, thats exactly what EP stands for. However, there is no need for M1 EP for your application. Just use regular Mobil 1 AFE (advanced fuel economy) 0w20, its available at Walmart for a great everyday price, and Mobil guarantees it for 1 year/10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Extended performance?

Yes, thats exactly what EP stands for. However, there is no need for M1 EP for your application. Just use regular Mobil 1 AFE (advanced fuel economy) 0w20, its available at Walmart for a great everyday price, and Mobil guarantees it for 1 year/10,000 miles.

I agree that the AFE would likely hold up fine (heck, I'm using it right now and love the 0w-30) but I would argue that if you can get the EP at the same price it is a better "deal" due to its higher % of PAO.

JMHO of course
smile.gif

Thanks! I was just doing some searching on here and read some guys suggesting people use Fram ultra filters. Have they changed? I always that fram were garbage filters.

Looks like more research is needed. I plan to take this Camry as far as my Honda, 300,000 and beyond!

I'm sure both oils would serve me well. I will compare prices and see how much more I'll pay for the EP. Maybe I can extend the OCI out further for a few bucks more. Thanks again.

I would suggest Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Pennzoil Platinum for your Toyota. You can see a UOA on my Toyota RAV4 in the Gasoline UOA section that was posted recently. I used QSUD and still had plenty of room on my TBN to go further than the 10K miles that it did go. I live east of you in the metro area, but you should be fine. For the price and quality, they can't be beat. Just my humble opinion. Best of luck.

Thanks! I was just doing some searching on here and read some guys suggesting people use Fram ultra filters. Have they changed? I always that fram were garbage filters.

Looks like more research is needed. I plan to take this Camry as far as my Honda, 300,000 and beyond!

The Ultra is nothing like the lower-tier FRAM filters in terms of construction, and the construction (the fibre end caps and general cheapness of them) is what turns many off the lower tier FRAM offerings.

The Ultra is a well built filter at an excellent price.

Your application has a cartridge filter (element only, no metal can).

The Fram Ultra has shown to be a really good filter for the price. However, there have been a couple of Fram Ultra cartridge style filters that have failed for one reason or another. This small subset is most likely not representative of all Fram Ultra cartridge filters, but it is certainly something to consider.

If it were my car, I would probably use Wix, Denso, or OE Toyota.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Your application has a cartridge filter (element only, no metal can).

The Fram Ultra has shown to be a really good filter for the price. However, there have been a couple of Fram Ultra cartridge style filters that have failed for one reason or another. This small subset is most likely not representative of all Fram Ultra cartridge filters, but it is certainly something to consider.

If it were my car, I would probably use Wix, Denso, or OE Toyota.

Good point, I didn't realize his application was a cartridge style. I am a fan of the German cartridge filters (MANN, HENGST...etc) but am unsure as to whether they make one for his application and even if they do, if availability makes them an unreasonable option.

Buy a nice oil filter wrench for your application and watch some youtube videos to see how to get the filter housing cap off and decide if you want to use the drain tube or just let the oil in the filter housing drop. I'd also suggest changing the oil when it's warm but not hot the first time in case you spill some on yourself.

Personally, I think almost any 0W20 oil will get you to 300k miles lubrication wise but it's those main seals that will do you in.

Just out of curiosity, is there any benefit to the cartridge style filter vs the traditional can type? I'm aware the German cars use Mann but I never did know exactly why that type even exists.

Also, who makes the toyota OEM filter?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back