Shell Vpower Nitro+ - New shell gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the pumps. Shell's premium is usually ethanol free in Canada, unless the specific jurisdiction has a rule about ethanol content that's radically different from other jurisdictions. Here, Shell's premium is ethanol free. To find E10 premium here takes a bit of work.

Hmm... interesting that Canada is getting this new fuel before the US... Would love to find out more about this gas -- preferably in language and terminology that I can understand.

Would be nice if the one in WA will be ethanol free since i prefer ethanol free premium gas.. That's why i usually gas up here in Vancouver since all the Shell Vpower Nitro+ are ethanol free.. If WA will be ethanol free then maybe i might cross the border and get gas since its a bit cheaper...

Yes, getting it up here first is a miracle. Some of the industry stuff I've read has indicated it's a bit of a reformulation, but there's been a lot more effort on the side of marketing and repackaging than on reformulation - let's put it that way. It was Top Tier before and is Top Tier now, so no worries from me.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
did they say if it will be ethanol free?

Ethanol content is required in my area, but there are some counties in the area that do not mandate ethanol. I suspect that the ethanol content is not something they plan to change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Some of the industry stuff I've read has indicated it's a bit of a reformulation, but there's been a lot more effort on the side of marketing and repackaging than on reformulation - let's put it that way. It was Top Tier before and is Top Tier now, so no worries from me.

I read somewhere that the Nitro+ formula is an improved version of the V-Power 'nitrogen enriched' formula. Something like 25% more friction modifier, perhaps a bit more detergent as well. Indeed probably more effort on the side of marketing, but should be an improvement nevertheless.

Filled up at a Shell today in Houston, they were rolling out all the signage for the Nitro+ kickoff. Conveniently, they were also out of regular and midgrade. Coincidence?

robert

I stopped by a Shell station yesterday evening, and they already had all the signs up. They have new 'Nitro+' badges on the pumps covering up the old 'nitrogen enriched' language. Looked like about a $0.10/gal premium over competitor prices, but Shell is usually higher in my area anyway, so I can't say for sure how much more they're charging for the Nitro+.

Went ahead and pumped in 10 or so gallons of the stuff in the Mazda and drove the 20 miles home. Really too soon to tell if this stuff provides any concrete benefit over the old stuff... buy my initial impressions are very good.

Originally Posted By: Kira
H
(Note: However, when talking about Canada: All across Canada, Shell V-Power 91 octane gasoline is free of ethanol, but other grades contain ethanol at the following percentage: - Up to 5% in Shell Silver 89 octane gasoline; - Up to 10% in Shell Bronze 87 octane gasoline)…

The signs on the pumps confirm this here in Alberta.
They have the new V-Power Nitro+ stickers on the 91 octane pumps and the older stickers saying the 87 is 10% ethanol, the 89 is 5%, and the 91 is ethanol free.

I want to add my 2 cents to this conversation.

I've been using Shell 91 Nitro in my brand new 2015 GTI and I am very impressed by the fuel economy on the highway.

Driving at about ~100km/hr in 6th I managed to get 5.6L/100KM consumption. VW claims 7.xL/100KM on highway.

City driving is the same as advertised at about 9.5L/100km to 10.0L/100km

With Chevron 94 on the same highway trip I use up about 9L which seems very strange, but filling up again at the destination point does not lie. (same relative temperature, same weight and same speed)

Are you saying you went from 5.6 L/100 km to 9 L/100 km just by switching brands? I hope you realize you're going to get a rough ride over this one.

Exactly what I'm saying yes.
I will be going back and forth between the Shell 91 and Chevron 94 to do more testing.

Well, a 61% increase in fuel consumption simply by switching brands will not be accepted as plausible. If that were the case, automakers in the U.S. could meet their CAFE targets for the next many, many years to come just by using Shell premium during testing. Additionally, we don't have a lot of stories like yours out there, which, if the fuel were really that different, should be out there.

From a mathematically rigorous perspective, it's difficult to measure fuel consumption with an error bar of less than 10%, and the difference in fuel consumption between E-10 and E-0 typically falls within that noise. When I say you're going to get a rough ride over this one, it had better be mathematically rigorous, not to mention repeatable and verifiable by anyone.

Well, a 61% increase in fuel consumption simply by switching brands will not be accepted as plausible. If that were the case, automakers in the U.S. could meet their CAFE targets for the next many, many years to come just by using Shell premium during testing. Additionally, we don't have a lot of stories like yours out there, which, if the fuel were really that different, should be out there.

From a mathematically rigorous perspective, it's difficult to measure fuel consumption with an error bar of less than 10%, and the difference in fuel consumption between E-10 and E-0 typically falls within that noise. When I say you're going to get a rough ride over this one, it had better be mathematically rigorous, not to mention repeatable and verifiable by anyone.

Exactly.
Unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back