What's your favorite electric guitar solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Originally Posted By: marc1
Not in any order:

1) So Lonely - The Police
2) Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
3) My Sharona - The Knack... don't laugh, that solo is stunning

No laughing here. If that wasn't one of the most disliked songs in rock history, the solo would be legendary. It also didn't help that the solo was cut in half on the single edit

So Lonely is another good pick. I always felt the musicianship of the Police was underrated.

I agree. My Sharona HAS to be the lp version to be fully enjoyed :^)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Or this one:
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Or this one:
wink.gif

Cheech and Chong are AWESOME!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Coming into the thread this late I'm gratified to see that mine hasn't been mentioned yet; David Gilmour's solo from the end of "Comfortably Numb."

Gilmour

It's sad to me that this wasn't mentioned until the bottom of page 2.

My contributions:

It's too hard to pick a favorite, there are too many great solos out there. So instead I'll pick a couple guys that probably won't get mentioned but really should.

If you're not familiar with J. Mascis, do yourself a favor and give Dinosaur jr. a listen. Not my favorite band, but Mascis is freaking amazing.

Also, Doug Martsch is probably the best guitarist you've probably never heard of. Find the song "Impossible" from his solo album and let the spine tinglies commence. His main band is Built to Spill, also rife with amazing guitar rock.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Today I fired up the 1969 cut "Loan Me a Dime" on the Boz Scaggs album. As always, I was amazed by the 5-6 minute guitar solo by a 22 year old Duane Allman. It's my all time fave.

Duane Allman is one of my favourite guitar players, so I'm listening to Loan Me a Dime now ... never heard of it. Thanks.

A few off of the top of my head:

- Stevie Ray Vaughn Little Wings
- Molly Hatchet Flirtin with disaster
- Gary Moore STill got the Blues
- Allen Collins of Lynard Skynard Ooh that smell
- Boston Peace of Mind (I'm guessing Tom Scholz played both parts mult-tracked?)
- Rush - Working Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGKlicb8n0

Honourable mention to The Outlaws Green grass and High tides
grin2.gif

I like Dave Mustaine's solo at end of Holy Wars, and much of Hammett's work.

Most of Tommy's stuff brings a smile to my face. Not exactly a "solo" nor electric, but he is plugged in
grin.gif

You may need to join, but it simple and worth the effort. Most people can find something enjoyable from his work. He's quite the entertainer as has mastered the instrument.

Tommy TV

Or just search for Tommy Emmanuel on youtube.

Marvelous thread.
So many guitarists, so little time.
But some of my favorites:

Alex Lifeson: La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, 2112
Yngwie Malmsteen: Little Savage, Krakatau
Steve Morse: Tumeni Notes, The Riff Raff
Eddie Van Halen: Eruption, Spanish Fly, Beat It
Dave Edmunds: Sabre Dance (caution; the 11-minute version will give you a cerebral hemorrhage), Farandole
Stevie Ray Vaughn: Texas Flood, Voodoo Chile
Robert Fripp: Larks Tongues in Aspic, Pt 4, 21st Century Schizoid Man, A Sailor's Tale
Adrian Belew: Larks Tongues in Aspic, Pt 4, Ballet for a Blue Whale
Alvin Lee: I'd Like to Change the World, I'm Going Home
Joe Satriani: Why, The Crush of Love, The Bells of Lau
Steve Vai: For the Love of God, The Attitude Song
Frank Zappa: Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
Buckethead: Soothsayer, Nottingham Lace
Jan Akkerman: Hocus Pocus, Hocus Pocus, Hocus Pocus
Ronnie Montrose: Town Without Pity, Open Fire
Steve Howe: The Clap, Mood for a Day, The Gates of Delirium, Sound Chaser
Wishbone Ash: Vas Dis (electrified, hyperactive bebop jazz with dual lead guitars and awesome bass, too)
Don Caballero: The Lucky Father Brown, Rocco (not really guitar solos, but wicked guitar songs, perfectly constructed)
Tony Iommi: You Won't Change Me, Into the Void, Symptom of the Universe (OK, the last two don't really have great solos, but are the best heavy metal riffs ever devised)
Jeff Beck: The Pump, Definitely Maybe, Led Boots, Because We've Ended As Lovers

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued
It's sad to me that this wasn't mentioned until the bottom of page 2.

My contributions:

It's too hard to pick a favorite, there are too many great solos out there. So instead I'll pick a couple guys that probably won't get mentioned but really should.

If you're not familiar with J. Mascis, do yourself a favor and give Dinosaur jr. a listen. Not my favorite band, but Mascis is freaking amazing.

Also, Doug Martsch is probably the best guitarist you've probably never heard of. Find the song "Impossible" from his solo album and let the spine tinglies commence. His main band is Built to Spill, also rife with amazing guitar rock.

D.Jr. - Yep... "Out There" great guitar work for sure. Big fan.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Warner Hodges is pretty impressive here...

Wow! Loved these guys in the 80's I did not know they were still around. Thanks for the video link.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Impossible to pick a favorite between those of Les Paul and Chet Atkins.

Les Paul and Chet Atkins did albums together, so you wouldn't necessarily have to pick between them.

The importance of Les Paul's contribution to modern music can't be overstated. He invented the solid body electric guitar and multitrack recording. The Gibson Les Paul was named for him, and it's a mainstay of the business.

Only guitar solo that has ever been able to give me a "rush" was/is Still of the night by whitesnake.

Darkened room, lotus position, and relaxed, that slow build-up and soaring power chords literally used to be the audio equivalent of a pangalactic gargleblaster.

Driving home the other day, and the radio station (B-Rock, bathurst, fitting) played November Rain by the Gunners...I just stopped and listened, it was good.

Oh man. This is a hard one.

The opening of Money for Nothing by Dire Straits as well as Life's Been Good by Joe Walsh. I like everything from the 40's to the 70's so this is pretty tough.
laugh.gif

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd.
(esp. the live FULL version from Delicate Sound of Thunder)

Others worth mentioning:

- Easter - Marillion
- Blind Curve - Marillion
- Stargazer - Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back