Clio now gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifes Clio DCi has been retired from active duty.

Replaced by a Dec 2010 BMW 116D SE with 100k on the clock. A 5dpor hatch which I don't think you got in the US in the E87 model.

Only ever been serviced by the BMW Main Dealer so far.

Has had the runflats replaced by Michelin Energys all round and to be honest the ride comfort is reasonable.

Was a short notice replacement due to Clio being on last legs.

Went to the auction to buy a Corsa or similar small city car.

The 2.0 diesel engine is a bit underpowered so a remap may be on the cards, has 114bhp standard I believe but can be improved to over 150bhp with a Blufin from Superchips.

Just an FYI; BMW doesn't sell utilitarian/practical car lines in the US; they are all 'upscale' and target luxury or enthusiast drivers; 114HP is enough for a lot of driving, but many Americans are convinced it isn't. Nice to know BMW builds a car with 8 more HP than my lowly echo. lol

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nice to know BMW builds a car with 8 more HP than my lowly echo. lol

LOL! It does have 192 ft-lb of torque at as little as 1750 rpm though.
smile.gif

I wish that BMW and Mercedes, Volvo etc exported their non luxury models to the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I wish that BMW and Mercedes, Volvo etc exported their non luxury models to the US.

Then they'd be competing with Hyundai, Mazda, and other lower end cars here, which means they'd have to keep the prices down and not be able to make as much profit.

Utilitarian?

You mean like a Dacia or Yugo.

At £22k new I don't think you could call the 116D SE cheap or indeed Utilitarian.

Not sure what else you need in an entry level fleet motor apart from electric windows, stop start, aircon, bluetooth, 6speed manual box and a BMW Professional stereo.

The 116D is merely a lower tuned version of the 2.0d engine as fitted to the rest of the BMW range.

Just an FYI; BMW doesn't sell utilitarian/practical car lines in the US; they are all 'upscale' and target luxury or enthusiast drivers; 114HP is enough for a lot of driving, but many Americans are convinced it isn't. Nice to know BMW builds a car with 8 more HP than my lowly echo. lol

Power is not that relevant as Quattro Pete has pointed out.

Why would you need huge amounts of power in a day to day runaround vehicle?

Having 8bhp less than the 116D doesn't mean it is in any way comparable as a vehicle.

A quick online check shows 0-60 of 16.7 for the Echo in a roadtest in 2000

The official figure for the 116D was listed as 10.2 seconds in a Roadtest back in 2009.

They must be strong those 8 German Horses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj

We need good acceleration for self-defense. When merging onto the freeway nobody gives way and you have to squeeze in with big rigs and Tercels coming up behind you going 75. Pretty much all cars are overpowered, and you gotta keep up or you become a roadblock.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Then they'd be competing with Hyundai, Mazda, and other lower end cars here, which means they'd have to keep the prices down and not be able to make as much profit.

The BMW 1 series doesn't really compete with any Hyundai or Mazda.

It is a competitor for the VW Golf and Audi A3.

Another factor is a lot of these cars have rather weedy petrol engines as in Europe the focus has been on diesels for many years.

Even a 2010 116D is Euro5 and has a DPF fitted. Something I would rather have avoided but you can only buy what presents itself at the Auction on the day you go.

Americans historically associated size with luxury. BMW 1 series certainly is not luxurious, but it is a premium product, even in its most basic version.
Hyundai and Ford can build 6 metre car and still wouldn't be perceived as luxurious or premium. That's the reason mainstream manufacturers stopped to offer big cars, and Lexus was never able to penetrate European market.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

Hyundai and Ford can build 6 metre car and still wouldn't be perceived as luxurious or premium.

Apparently you've never seen equus.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Wifes Clio DCi has been retired from active duty.

Replaced by a Dec 2010 BMW 116D SE with 100k on the clock. A 5dpor hatch which I don't think you got in the US in the E87 model.

Congratulations on the new purchase. I once had a 5-door BMW 118d with 6-speed manual transmission in Germany when on a business trip. I travelled the Autobahn south of Frankfurt for hours with that thing planted, and it didn't feel too under-powered until getting north of 200 km/h (125 mph). Despite all the thrashing and sitting in stop and go traffic when in the city centres, it returned a very respectable 6.6 L / 100 km (sorry for the metric units - that is about 36 mpg US or 43 mpg UK).

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Power is not that relevant as Quattro Pete has pointed out.

Having 8bhp less than the 116D doesn't mean it is in any way comparable as a vehicle.

A quick online check shows 0-60 of 16.7 for the Echo in a roadtest in 2000

The official figure for the 116D was listed as 10.2 seconds in a Roadtest back in 2009.

They must be strong those 8 German Horses.

Our Echo's only came with the 1.5L 108 hp motor which gave an 8-8.5s 0-60 with the manual. Not that 10.2 isn't fast enough, I'd rather have the slower diesel in the Tracker and the Focus, but we don't get those here.

Hyundai and Ford can build 6 metre car and still wouldn't be perceived as luxurious or premium.

smile.gif

Ask around if they "perceived" it as luxurious and premium when you tell them it is a Hyundai.

It "is" luxurious and feel premium, and I will get one if I had the use of it, but general people do not "feel" the same.

Change the badge on any car and see how people react to that... people are so dumb most of the time.

I am teased almost everyday because I drive a BMW or a convertible, just because it is a BMW.
The only thing I wanted was 4-doors, RWD (or AWD rear biaised), and manual.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Ask around if they "perceived" it as luxurious and premium when you tell them it is a Hyundai.

I suppose it all depends on whom you ask. Those who love Hyundai will probably perceive Equus (or even Genesis) as luxurious/premium. Granted, I don't believe there are too many people out there willing to shell out $60K+ for a Hyundai, although I hear Genesis is selling well.

smile.gif

I'm sure it's a great value...,but high end cars are like watches . It's all about image. Yes you can bay nice Sector or Festina for 400 Euro and it will serve you great, bute if you're loaded TAG is more tempting. No one needs an S class or a Bentley. Can you imagine a businessman coming to meeting in a Hyundai. Yeah,yeah I know,it's a Hyundai, but it's really nice...and great value.

Yes, it's nearly impossible to change a brand's perception from economy to premium. That is why others just created new brands from scratch (Lexus, Infiniti, Acura). And that has a better chance of success than just introducing upscale models under the existing economy-perceived brand.

Anyway, sorry about taking this OT.

bigjl, congrats again on the new ride. The 1-series was offered here in the US a few years ago, but now it's the 2-series that is the entry level BMW, and of course the X1.

Personally, I am really bummed you cannot get a new 3-series wagon RWD with manual trans here in the States. I guess I'm going to hold onto my old e39 for now with a ticking timebomb Takata airbag...

Aaaaah... I miss my 2007 BMW 130i. 265 bhp, 315 Nm, 0-60
Oh, and the USA did get the 1 series in coupé (E82) form. And it has the 2 series now, which is essentially a rebrand of the 1 series coupé.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back