Microgard Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microgard is made in China ? Can you trust their claim of 99% @ 0.3U ?

I use Microgard cabin filter in Honda S2000 because it isn't critical, especially it has top down most of the times.

Mann is a German company and they usually don't exaggerate their test results.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
99 @ .3
vs
99.9 @ 3
?
id go with the [email protected]

Actually, going from 99% to 99.9% is statistically significant, to a whole order of magnitude. It may not seem like much at first glance, but it's significant.

If you have 1,000,000 particles (in that .3 range) entering the airbox, the 99% filter grabs 990,000 of them and lets 10,000 of them through.

The 99.9% filter grabs 999,000 of them, on the other hand, leaving only 1000 to pass through. That's 1/10th as many. Which do you think is better?

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
99 @ .3
vs
99.9 @ 3
?

Actually, going from 99% to 99.9% is statistically significant, to a whole order of magnitude. It may not seem like much at first glance, but it's significant.

If you have 1,000,000 particles (in that .3 range) entering the airbox, the 99% filter grabs 990,000 of them and lets 10,000 of them through.

The 99.9% filter grabs 999,000 of them, on the other hand, leaving only 1000 to pass through. That's 1/10th as many. Which do you think is better?

I think you overlooked the fact that the 99% rating is at 0.3 and the 99.9% rating is at 3.0 ...

15.gif

The Microgaurd air filters that I have purchased were made in Poland and South Korea. I'm sure there are some that are made in the USA and China as well, just depends on where the Affinia facility is located for that product.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Microgard is made in China ? Can you trust their claim of 99% @ 0.3U ?

I use Microgard cabin filter in Honda S2000 because it isn't critical, especially it has top down most of the times.

Mann is a German company and they usually don't exaggerate their test results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
99 @ .3
vs
99.9 @ 3
?

I think you overlooked the fact that the 99% rating is at 0.3 and the 99.9% rating is at 3.0 ...

15.gif

... shows what happens when I'm tired and read too quick.. I guess it's easy to overlook that leading .

I stand corrected. 99% @ .3 is definitely good enough.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
A cheaper version of Wix, equivalent to Napa Proselect. Not bad at all.

Arent they technically the Napa Silver? That is the way they are with the oil filters at least according to WIX.

I can get the Napa PS for about $13 for my Jeep which seems decent. The Silver is about $21 while the Gold is $19.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Arent they technically the Napa Silver? That is the way they are with the oil filters at least according to WIX.

I can get the Napa PS for about $13 for my Jeep which seems decent. The Silver is about $21 while the Gold is $19.

Maybe. Honestly, I don't even really know the difference between silver and PS. I only know that silver is a relatively new offering at Napa; for a long time it had just been PS and gold.

Funny how silver costs more than gold in your case
crazy2.gif

I never understood the 2 lower levels of filters either. Heck, my local Napa doesnt even stock the Silvers.. i have to call ahead and order them (thus making Oreillys a bit more hassle free.)

I dont get how the Gold is less than the Silver either.
21.gif

In my unscientific opinion, the difference between the Silver and PS is the pleat count/ surface area of the filter media although I have yet to see a difference in their cartridge filters with the exception of the color.

I wish we knew the efficiency rating of Wix air filters to compare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back