10k OCI filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: jk_636
All I do is continually prove that Purolator is still a quality filter. dont believe me? Take a look at any of my filters posted here. Case closed.
I was not aware that your filter not tearing negates all of the ones that have. I stand corrected.

Oh and one more thing, I am one of the few dedicated members who refuses to bow down to the Frampire nation and continue to show that there are actually more and in some cases better options out there besides the Fram ultra.
Really? Do tell what filter FOR THE MONEY is better than a FRAM Ultra and contains the same quality of construction?

Money and cost was never a variable for this discussion. If you are to cheap to spend a couple extra dollars on a filter then you don't really care about your engines well being and protection now do you?

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
jk_636, how did you determine that the Fram Ultra, RP, and Purolator Synthetic are in the same class? If I had to rank some of the top filters out there at this time I would do it as such (note: not an extensive list):

Fram Ultra rated at 20 micron @ 99% efficiency for 15K miles.
Amsoil EA rated at 20 micron @ 98.7 efficiency for 15-25K miles.
Mobil 1 rated at 25 micron @ 99.9% efficiency for 15K miles.
Purolator Synthetic rated at 25 micron @ 99% efficiency for 10K miles
Royal Purple rated at 25 micron @ 99% efficiency for an undetermined service interval

So if it were me and I wanted to test the top 3 oil filters I would personally drop the Royal Purple and the Purolator Synthetic because they are both outperformed by at least the Fram Ultra, Amsoil EA, and Mobil 1 oil filters.

Long and short of it:

A: Fram is rated greater than not at 20 microns. See ENTIRE discussion above. And I put absolutely NO stock in manufacturer claims to life expectency as every vehicle will be different and there are too many variables to be able to make an absolute claim of X number of miles. Although It is safe to assume that RP can go just as far as the rest if not farther based on media surface and thickness.

B: Amsoil filters are not readily available (that ridiculously ancient MLM nonsense) and Mobil 1 falls within the same efficiency range as the rest. Er go, Royal Purple, Purolator synthetic and Fram Ultra were the top three I chose to compare as they are readily available, same general price range and all contain synthetic media.

Feel free to do your own report on whatever filters you would like! I would like to read it!!

jk_636, how did you determine that the Fram Ultra, RP, and Purolator Synthetic are in the same class? If I had to rank some of the top filters out there at this time I would do it as such (note: not an extensive list):

Royal Purple rated at 25 micron @ 99% efficiency for an undetermined service interval

So if it were me and I wanted to test the top 3 oil filters I would personally drop the Royal Purple and the Purolator Synthetic because they are both outperformed by at least the Fram Ultra, Amsoil EA, and Mobil 1 oil filters.

I must revise my post but the maximum edit time has elapsed. I found additional information buried in the FAQ section of RP's website so my response is now:

Royal Purple rated at 20 micron @ 98.7% efficiency for 12K miles

So if it were me and I wanted to test the top 3 oil filters I would personally drop the Purolator Synthetic because it appears on paper to be out performed by at least 4 other oil filters.

According to RP's website their oil filter is 98.7% efficent at filtering out particles 20 microns or larger. According to Fram's website the Ultra is 99% efficent at filtering out particles 20 microns or larger. So correct me if I am wrong, but, that means that the Fram Ultra has better filtration at 20 microns or larger, according to the ISO 4548-12 test.

I bailed on Fram when Bendix sold the company to Honeybleep and moved them out of East Providence, long before BITOG existed. I knew engineers who worked at the EP plant and did't care t follow the company and their new leadership "team" of penny squeezing Harrrrvard MBAs. Perhaps the newest owners have reestablished the quality which once was FRAM, but there are plenty of alternatives out there.

If you are to cheap to spend a couple extra dollars on a filter then you don't really care about your engines well being and protection now do you?
Are you REALLY that dense or do you merely like to deflect every time you are called to the mat? I will rephrase the question--what filter performs as well as the Ultra and is readily available to the masses? One more thing--since I spend lots of money on my FX4 (including UOAs of every OC of every fluid to date), this is not about being cheap as you put it, but gaining value for the money. I know of no filter that has the value that a FRAM Ultra has AND can be used for 15K OCIs--if there were, I would be using them instead.

Dense? And I am the one deflecting eh!

Cost is relevant.

When you consider the fact that the most expensive oil filter on the market is $14 retail there is no reason to consider "cost" as a factor.

And yes, the best filter on the market also happens to be the most expensive and readily available to the masses. You get what you pay for.

According to RP's website their oil filter is 98.7% efficent at filtering out particles 20 microns or larger. According to Fram's website the Ultra is 99% efficent at filtering out particles 20 microns or larger. So correct me if I am wrong, but, that means that the Fram Ultra has better filtration at 20 microns or larger, according to the ISO 4548-12 test.

And the reason that it happens to have identical specs to the AMSOIL filter is because it uses the same media BTW. Both filters are assembled by Champ/FRAM too.

When you consider the fact that the most expensive oil filter on the market is $14 retail there is no reason to consider "cost" as a factor. And yes, the best filter on the market also happens to be the most expensive and readily available to the masses. You get what you pay for.
It is? Prove it. You are so very fond of spewing information with zero data to back it up, how about doing that for once. And by all means, please state the criteria that makes this filter "the best".

jk, while your brand loyalty is quite admirable. Common sense tells me not to run any Purolaters until production is fixed. The worse part of the deal is the "no response" approach Purolater has taken. IMO, that just proves that they knew about the tears and continued production anyways.

Jk_636 is the BITIOG jester he is paid by BITOG and purolator to keep this forum going. Without him common sense would kick in and their wouldn't be any drama. It's almost like any reality tv show without some fool they wouldn't exist.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Jk_636 is the BITIOG jester he is paid by BITOG and purolator to keep this forum going. Without him common sense would kick in and their wouldn't be any drama. It's almost like any reality tv show without some fool they wouldn't exist.

#creatingjobs
36.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

And the reason that it happens to have identical specs to the AMSOIL filter is because it uses the same media BTW. Both filters are assembled by Champ/FRAM too.

No way. RP's price point makes it better, not their desire for higher profits off of their 'image' as a better product to the casual dragster.
crackmeup2.gif

The entire argument of jk comes from and attacks marketing. Not hard facts about the functionality of the product, but mere observation and conclusions based on what? Perceptions formed in large part to assumptions.

Most expensive doesn't MAKE something better or different. Yea, the Amsoil EaO filters are essentially Royal Purple Filters in a lot of ways and AGAIN they have their product 'made for them' by someone ELSE. Just like Royal Purple!

I mean like a brand/hate a brand, but can we change from the subjective/emo oriented loyalty conversation and have an objective and factual based discussion?

Most everyone in this thread is on board with the page of the conversation or the hilarity of it.

Just looking at price and some other 'fluff' observations, does not mean the substance is usefully better if at all. Put it in context. The posts jk make sound like someone that has drawn conclusions from past reputations of brand (Fram having the "OCOD" label for years) and doesn't deal with the here and now. Wire-backed synthetic media and the more dense/sturdy built oil filters aren't necessarily going with efficiency as their main goal as the purpose of those filters is extended use.

Each brand asks for the supplier to make to specification and they deliver. Whether it be the same supplier or not. This feels like the whole Top Tier fuels debate in the gasoline sub-forum. Hey, don't mind me but I'm not overpaying for the "Shell" brand for .40 and .50 more per gallon for their premium unless I just want to 'try' their newly marketed gas, but can I objectively say it provides anything more than Costco's 93 octane locally for .50 per gallon cheaper? The supplier is probably the same, the blend is slightly different in terms of additives, but the quality is hardly measurably different.

The real test/goal would be to show how the specific additives Shell used actually were something your specific application got benefits from. Nothing more, nothing less.

What if there was a known issue? It would therefore bypass the usefulness debate of higher priced item 'x' compared to item 'z' which is currently not defective. A defective product is no longer in any price range, but the garbage can because it is worthless unless you value the risks of defects.

Certainly, no sanely objective person would suggest a product that is known to have a standing issue with QA/QC to be a 'better' option to blindly run just because it costs more or is perceptively 'better' when cold hard facts show it is no better than the cheapest of filters due to it's failure rate we've been seeing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Tough Guard is rated for 10,000 miles, Fram Ultra is rated for 15,000 miles. Most filters have plenty of headroom for holding capacity if your engine is healthy and not abused.

I would actually be more concerned about the oil at 15k even though all highway not every engine is the same.
UP TO

Cost is relevant.

When you consider the fact that the most expensive oil filter on the market is $14 retail there is no reason to consider "cost" as a factor.

And yes, the best filter on the market also happens to be the most expensive and readily available to the masses. You get what you pay for.

The ultra for my GFs car is $28 at Walmart.

Honestly now I think you are just bent over talking out your rear... Ever see the movie Ace Ventura? Don't stop though. I need these good laughs.

Cost is relevant.

Get what you pay for eh.

So the ultra uses the same media,with similar specs and made by the same company with a different paint job but the RP is better because it costs more.

That is simply put the most absurd idea I've ever come across.how does a person convince themselves that this is in any way rational,sensible and desirable.
You chirp that fram is lying about the certs they carry,yet fram makes the rp unit with the same parts used in the ultra.
So how exactly have you managed to get around that little tidbit. If the fram can't be trusted then neither can the rp filter.
You are amusing. You hold on to these daft ideas and fight tooth and nail trying to prove your point,yet your own words emasculate your argument.
I do however like the show.
GHT was fun in that he really didn't know,but couldn't pay attention long enough to focus on seeing anything to completion.
You on the other hand are a potential train wreck with every post. I love watching as you stick that foot of yours in your mouth,my bet is you've beaten the gag reflex and it's an easy slide down now.
So as far as I'm concerned settle in to that chair in the corner in the darkest part of mommy's basement and post away. You obviously don't care about how you are seen so why should I. I like that you'll go off on the dumbest stuff,defending a position that is always flawed and wrong,and you carry it on until that foot has been inserted beyond the ankle.
So carry on.

Amuse me

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
When you consider the fact that the most expensive oil filter on the market is $14 retail there is no reason to consider "cost" as a factor. And yes, the best filter on the market also happens to be the most expensive and readily available to the masses. You get what you pay for.
It is? Prove it. You are so very fond of spewing information with zero data to back it up, how about doing that for once. And by all means, please state the criteria that makes this filter "the best".

Stay tuned for the full write up. Try and keep an open mind!

Feel free to go pound salt. Nothing in that comment is productive, constructive or beneficial to this conversation. I refuse to step down to the level of personal attacks. I let substantiated fact(s) and not a smart gluteus Maximus do the talking.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

#creatingjobs
36.gif

#winning
#frampireresistance

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Cost is relevant.

Honestly now I think you are just bent over talking out your rear... Ever see the movie Ace Ventura? Don't stop though. I need these good laughs.

I wouldn't tell her that. If she finds out you are using a Fram Ultra on her car she will probably leave you.

It will be filed under "irreconcilable differences"

As for the rest of these long winded posts, "blah, blah, blah, Royal purple too expensive, not Fram ultra, on and on".

They are not the same filter. They are not the same specs. They are not made by the same company (yes I know champ is a subsidiary of Fram, but not made in the same plant) and when I publish this report you can make up your own mind about which is better. Oh wait, well maybe not the Fram henchmen, the brainwashing has already taken place. But the rest of the oil filter forum participants may just find it interesting.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Cost is relevant.

Your talking about a specific filter that Fram has to contract out themselves to make it just like the oem filter. Other filter makers have cheaper models for that filter size because they made the filter different than the oem patent.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
35.gif
36.gif

I am convinced jk_636 is actually a smurf account for ZeeOSix at this point!
grin2.gif

Holy moley!
crazy2.gif

#logic #bestlaughinawhile

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. LoL

I am currently using a Fram Ultra on my truck as an ongoing test between it and my other favorite filters which I believe to be superior. The results of which will be published in an objective write up in about two more months.

And just exactly how are you going to compare what "results"?

All I do is continually prove that Purolator is still a quality filter. dont believe me? Take a look at any of my filters posted here. Case closed.

The world does not revolve around only your filters.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back