TGMO made by Conoco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Just had the 10K service on our '14 RAV4. Asked the service writer what brand of oil they use, he said 0W-20 synthetic. I asked what brand... "Oh, Toyota brand". OK. When I came back in an hour to pick the car up he said all Toyota branded oil is made by CONACO. Thought I'd like to know that. I thanked him for letting me know.

Pretty sure I read here TGMO is made by Mobil. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
TGMO in quart bottles is made by Exxon/Mobil.

I think Conoco/Phillips supplies bulk/drum oil to Toyota. It is not the same as the TGMO in bottles.

danthaman, I would love a photo of that...would be another myth busted.

I'm wondering if Toyota changed, would the mobil engineers who were given the "recipe" are contractually obliged to use their cyanide pills.

So technically "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" in 0W-20 can be a different product if you buy it off the shelf or they put it in from bulk. Huh?

I know the car won't know the difference but that's not the point.

I would even guess that individual dealers across the country use different brands of bulk oil.

I'd much rather pick my oil off the shelf in a sealed 5 quart container.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

So technically "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" in 0W-20 can be a different product if you buy it off the shelf or they put it in from bulk. Huh?

That, and Toyota have had a number of "unique" receipes, Nippon oil, Idemitsu (?) which were all TGMO, but all different (very different)

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
I would even guess that individual dealers across the country use different brands of bulk oil.

Yep

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3517235/TGMO_0W-20,_9,950_mi_on_oil,_2

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: AZjeff

That, and Toyota have had a number of "unique" receipes, Nippon oil, Idemitsu (?) which were all TGMO, but all different (very different)

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Yep

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3517235/TGMO_0W-20,_9,950_mi_on_oil,_2

TGMO around here is Idemtisu blended.

Hmmm ... Always thought it was blended by Exxon/Mobil. I use TGMO in my 2014 Honda Odyssey.

Last edited:
The dealer likely used whatever is supplied by the vendor they have a contract with. Mine uses bulk Valvoline for everything.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back