Oil mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never mixed oils before but I am at the stage where I have picked up various oils over time and will have to mix them to use them up.

If I can get some answers to the following questions, it will help me decide how to use up my oil:

1) Say I mix 1 quart of oil A with 5 quarts of oil B. Is that better than making a mix of 2 quarts of oil A + 4 quarts of oil B?

2) Which is less worse:

i) Mixing 2 quarts of API oil A with 4 quarts of API oil B or
ii) Mixing 1 quart of Euro oil C with 5 quarts of API oil B?

Depends on your application, and cars requirement.

As far as mixing just mix what ever you please. Its all oil and will still lubricate perfectly fine.

Oils are compatible. You make a strong oil weaker or a weak oil stronger. Mix away.

pretend your at the mcdonalds self serve soda dispenser. pick one ounce from each one. its still soda when your done. enjoy.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
soda

^ Pop

27.gif

A 5 to 1 or a 4 to 2 of darn near anything is ok.
Keep in mind that you need to stay close in viscosity to what your engine specs.
Mix away my friend.
I am slowly recruiting more to the darkside.

I am thinking of mixing PYB and PP. Half and half in the winter time to thin out the PYB. So I am almost on the darkside
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
soda

^ Pop

27.gif

Coke......

I have mixed 5 to 1 a couple of times now, comfortably so, due to discussions like this on this forum. Thanks to all for that.

Oh, and it's.... sodi pop.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Oils are compatible. You make a strong oil weaker or a weak oil stronger. Mix away.

Well said !!

I also would prefer the 5:1 ratio

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: CT8

Well said !!

I also would prefer the 5:1 ratio

The definition of "compatible" is that if they are mixed with any of 6 reference oils, cooled to the combined gel point, heated to 150C, then cooled to the aforementioned point...they stay mixed, don't split like salad dressing, or blow chunks.

Mixable is the sole promise of "compatibility".

Originally Posted By: Benito
I've never mixed oils before but I am at the stage where I have picked up various oils over time and will have to mix them to use them up.

If I can get some answers to the following questions, it will help me decide how to use up my oil:

1) Say I mix 1 quart of oil A with 5 quarts of oil B. Is that better than making a mix of 2 quarts of oil A + 4 quarts of oil B?

2) Which is less worse:

i) Mixing 2 quarts of API oil A with 4 quarts of API oil B or
ii) Mixing 1 quart of Euro oil C with 5 quarts of API oil B?

Thanks for all the opinions.

But it would really help if I could receive answers to my specific questions.

I don't think that it'll matter either way.
The primary risk is an unintended interaction of the VIIs producing a thicker than desired oil.
If this is an application in which a thicker grade is acceptable, as is typically the case in warmer weather, then it should make little difference.
Since you want to mix oils just to use a few odd quarts of this and that, run your mix from now through the fall.
Any incidental thickening as a consequence of VII interactions would be of little concern in warmer weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back