Front end paint protection film

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new to me 2013 F150 Platinum came with a front end paint protection film to guard against stone chips, etc (3M? maybe Ford factory?)

My question is around detailing my new ride. What can and what can't you use on top of the film? I am assuming waxing is ok, but stay away from harsher products like polish or compound.

Any thoughts?

THX!

I had Llumar film put on my new Grand Cherokee.

Was told just wash with normal car wash soap and use a spray wax on it to protect the film and also to prevent "build up" on the demarcation line, ie bikini cuts so you wont notice the film.

this is the first time I have used this film. Hoping it will prevent the front bumper from getting sand blasted from road sand during the winter.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Rejex works very well on the clear films and is very safe on them, and definitely helps prevent yellowing and staining.

CQuartz, Opti-Coat Pro work great on films. Nothing is going to prevent the film from yellowing or getting cloudy overtime - it is normal for clear film to have this issue overtime.

I would plan on replacing the film every 3-5 years. Yes, it's an expensive expense, but it does do its job.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

CQuartz, Opti-Coat Pro work great on films. Nothing is going to prevent the film from yellowing or getting cloudy overtime - it is normal for clear film to have this issue overtime.

I would plan on replacing the film every 3-5 years. Yes, it's an expensive expense, but it does do its job.

thx for the tip...this is my first experience with a front end film / clear bra.

I must say it has done a fantastic job at protecting the front end of the truck. Also makes bug removal a breeze, which is a God send up here in the summer
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

No doubt. It is important, however, to make sure that bug guts don't yellow the thing two weeks after it's installed. Ask my buddy how he knows this and why he was much happier after using Rejex.
wink.gif

We had the 3M clear film put on the front of my wife's minivan right after we bought it in 2003...it's now all cracked...it hasn't yellowed though...

My 2001 Z28 had a full nose mask of 3M film installed when it the car was new. 8 years later when I sold it it still looked new except for a few rock dings. If you wax it every 6 months and do spray wax touch ups it will last the life of the car. My inlaws have a 1997 Saturn with a clear bra that is as old as the car and it too looks new. The car is garaged and cared for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
My 2001 Z28 had a full nose mask of 3M film installed when it the car was new. 8 years later when I sold it it still looked new except for a few rock dings. If you wax it every 6 months and do spray wax touch ups it will last the life of the car. My inlaws have a 1997 Saturn with a clear bra that is as old as the car and it too looks new. The car is garaged and cared for.

Thx for the tips. I plan to wax it along with the rest of the truck and keep it touched up with QW

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Thx for the tips. I plan to wax it along with the rest of the truck and keep it touched up with QW

No problem! Keeping it waxed and out of the sun is key for helping these last for the life of the car.
I recommend new finish for a long lasting wax or Dura gloss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back