Ever consider blacking out chrome trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not personally. Chrome/bright aluminum trim will get a haze and/or irradescence after decades, but at least it's a permanent coloration. Blackout, plasti-dip, etc would all need to be further protected/repaired/upkept.

The whole plasti-dip to protect stuff "phenomenon" is interesting though. I like the idea of doing it to wheels in the winter and other such things.

It's all a matter of opinion. I think all that stuff looks worse. The only people who really comment are the ones who like it so I think people have a skewed view of things. I'm not into any of that plasti-dip, I think it's horrible stuff, especially when it starts to peel later, then it's even worse. I think it's a lose-lose situation, costs more time and energy and non-oem usually gets you less at resale.

I plasti-dipped the grille on my Focus. After 3 years it is starting to fade.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not personally. Chrome/bright aluminum trim will get a haze and/or irradescence after decades, but at least it's a permanent coloration. Blackout, plasti-dip, etc would all need to be further protected/repaired/upkept.

The whole plasti-dip to protect stuff "phenomenon" is interesting though. I like the idea of doing it to wheels in the winter and other such things.

I put a thin coat on the Focus' wheels a few years ago. I had to use penetrating oil to get it off. It definitely would have protected from salt spray if that is what I was going for. It DOES NOT come off.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I put a thin coat on the Focus' wheels a few years ago. I had to use penetrating oil to get it off. It definitely would have protected from salt spray if that is what I was going for. It DOES NOT come off.

It comes off when people hit the curb and it doesn't look good. If you're not parking at the curb then maybe you've been lucky so far.

I did it to my cutlass ciera grill. It's often a styling thing to black out grills later in a model run to make a car look fresher or sportier.

My Focus is pretty much blacked out already, no chrome except the grill. The door handles, window trim, roof antenna, roof rack are all black. I like it with the all black steelies for winter too. Probably with a dark tint and some black chrome wheels it would look interesting, but I think doing the grill in black would be odd looking.
I think it could be a decent looking car with some coilovers to lower it a bit, bigger wheels, tint, but it would also be just flushing money down the toilet, or most likely reducing resale.

in my head, i've considered "whiting out" the wheels and trim on my car. though it's not shiny Chrome now, it's more of a satin finish/brushed nickel look.

I just really like the look of white wheels. don't know why. a large chunk of my wardrobe is black,black is my default color choice, but just never dug the black wheel look.

I had a hyundai and they had an awful amount of chrome all over the interior would blind you.. not sure why they felt chrome coated plastic was suitable for interior use.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I did it to my cutlass ciera grill. It's often a styling thing to black out grills later in a model run to make a car look fresher or sportier.

Never understood the styling part of it. I don't think black makes anything fresher or sportier. Then again, I drive a Mercedes E350, it's all bone stock.

I think it's just better to save your money and just buy a nicer car. Which is sorta what I did as I've always keep my cars bone stock.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Never understood the styling part of it. I don't think black makes anything fresher or sportier. Then again, I drive a Mercedes E350, it's all bone stock.

I think it's just better to save your money and just buy a nicer car. Which is sorta what I did as I've always keep my cars bone stock.

Many of us look at it that it is not making our car "nicer" but it is customization of your car. My car won't be cookie cutter like ever other E350 out there (insert whatever car you like).

It's why people add different wheels, spoiler, tint, de-badge, etc, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back