Let it Ride?? Or change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
08 BMW in my sig. Changed the oil March 10, 2014 and just went over 5k today. Oil is M1 0-40 with a KnN filter. I'm inclined to get some more mile on the oil but I've never gone over a year without changing oil.

What say you?

I should have clarified: It almost always gets run to full operating temp. Not a short tripper at all. I just dont drive it a lot.

From what I have seen here it isnt even close to shot, especially if you havent short tripped it. JMO.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Time doesn't matter.

I recently ran PP 5W-30 for 2 years, 8800 miles. The UOA came back real good. Low metals, 3.5 TBN, still in the viscosity range for 5W-30, 0.1 insolubles. The vehicle is my 1996 Ford Contour with the 2.0L Zetec. As a side note it was not run in the dead of winter, it was garaged.

Whimsey

If you're keeping the car and can afford the oil change then do it. If you're not keeping the car much longer, who cares?

And about that K&N filter......?

forget time, go 7,500 miles and dump it. unless your testing limits.. then pull a sample at 7,500 and send it off and see what Blackstone labs has to say..

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I should have clarified: It almost always gets run to full operating temp. Not a short tripper at all. I just dont drive it a lot.

In that case, I'd let it go longer.

Why would you change it? Unless you are really short tripping there's no need for oil change. I would leave it for 24 months with your mileage.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
10K 2 years no problem.

That Bimmer has a big 6+ litre sump yes? and .. No Turbo.

Yes, 6cyl with IIRC nearly a 7qt sump and non turbo. It's also M1 0-40 long life so I'm on the fence but want to see what the UOA comes out at if I push it a bit. Many say time is meaningless, but to me I get a little ancy.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you're keeping the car and can afford the oil change then do it. If you're not keeping the car much longer, who cares?

And about that K&N filter......?

I got a 3 pack of K n N filters for almost free. They are the Korea builds....I will be MaHale or Mann in the future but I don't run for 10k+ so it was a good buy IMHO. Soon the first one will come out and I'll show the results.

I have a 2009 328xdrive.

You can find my UOA in the UOA section, on the dealership oil that I run 9000 miles for 16 months with no ill effect. I got quite some short trips and two winters on it.

That may help you decide what to do.

As of now, I have GC 0w-30 in the car for about 13 months, and it seems the oil got more loose in the last few months, so it is going to be at the end of its useful life in a few months... but this time, I am close to 10.000 miles already, so I may change it soon (within a month or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back