Top Tier Gas vs Fuel System Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it still make sense to use a Fuel System Cleaner over X amount of miles/kms if one constantly uses a Top Tier gas such as Shell or Esso as these petrol's are suppose to loaded with detergents in the first place?

Your thoughts......

Read an article in a Car Magazine recently that claims that Kia, BMW and Honda recommend a fuel cleaner. Did a quick search for Honda and didn't find anything? I wanted to see what Honda recommended for the cleaner.

Last edited:
The fact that gasoline itself is a solvent makes me wonder the need for anything added to gasoline at all. On my prior Nissan I never used an additive, 250,000 miles and not a single fuel related issue. I'd like to know this myself.

I use Techron and will continue to do so. It does help reduce carbon, there is a video on you tube that confirms it.

great question ! I run mid grade gas in everthing all the time. and once a year I pour a bottle of techron in everything.. Ive not had a fuel related issue (other than a lawnmower) in 20 years.

I have been using Techron for at least 5-6 years.. before that, id run whatever the most expensive fuel system additive I could find once a year.

The last time I changed a fuel filter was 10 years ago on a used truck I picked up with 145,000 on it. I changed the filter as a precaution.

Do techron like cleaners use heat and pressure or does simple contact make it clean? I hope it's the prior because I really don't want to disturb my gas tank all that much.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
The fact that gasoline itself is a solvent makes me wonder the need for anything added to gasoline at all. On my prior Nissan I never used an additive, 250,000 miles and not a single fuel related issue. I'd like to know this myself.

And when gasoline is allowed to evaporate, it leaves behind "Varnish". Solvents have different qualities and solvent abilities. Fuel injectors in stop and slow driving, with frequent hot shutdowns, can get clogged. Top tier gas will keep this from happening, and additives can deal with it when it does.

If we all just spent all our miles in our vehicles on the freeway going 60-80mph, gasoline without cleaners would likely be all the solvent you would need.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Does it still make sense to use a Fuel System Cleaner over X amount of miles/kms if one constantly uses a Top Tier gas such as Shell or Esso as these petrol's are suppose to loaded with detergents in the first place?

Your thoughts......

The problem is the amount of detergent in the fuel (only V power has a high level of detergents in the Shell fuels) but it also contains 10% ethanol.
Ethanol is hygroscopic and corrosive and even more so as the moisture content get higher.

Its a catch 22, the additives in the fuel clean or keep deposits to a minimum but at the same time the ethanol component of the fuel is corroding things, as fuel ages it also creates varnish that it cannot clean itself.

Its true, gasoline is a solvent but it is unable to remove its own varnish deposits without an additive.
Some injectors are more prone to deposit and varnish than others, some injectors spray a lot of fuel and have fairly large openings, these are usually more tolerant than the ones with a very fine spray and opening so small that almost any particle can either clog them or throw the pattern or flow rate off.

This is very engine specific. A large engine doesn’t necessarily mean big flow, some small engines have injectors that flow like a garden hose.
This get even more complicated when dealing with injectors in multi valve heads, they use 2 distinct streams, one for each intake valve. These are more prone to issues than most others.

Running top tier really can help and the use of an OTC additive is probably only needed once in a while say once a year or 10K. Multi valve engines are probably better using it every 5K.
The problem is once the deposits form its very difficult to get rid of them without taking them off the engine.

There is no real yes or not answer, its variable. I know my cars and the injectors in them, one needs nothing and would almost take a rubber stopper to clog the injectors, the others are a bit problematic and benefit a great deal from a regular dose of Techron or Redline SI-1 regardless of the fuel used.

I will go out on a limb and aint with a very broad brush and say, if you have older style metal body injectors especially Bosch pintel styles or multi valve Ford, BMW, Siemens/Deka commonly found in some Chrysler products or older GM Multec or spiders you should consider using an additive more often.
This is by no means even a half complete list.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I use Techron and will continue to do so. It does help reduce carbon, there is a video on you tube that confirms it.

It's on Youtube, all you need to know!
crazy.gif

FYI I run Chevron too.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Read an article in a Car Magazine recently that claims that Kia, BMW and Honda recommend a fuel cleaner. Did a quick search for Honda and didn't find anything? I wanted to see what Honda recommended for the cleaner.
BMW at one time mentioned Techron by name.

BMW motorcycle dealers actually sold Techron with a BMW label on the bottle. The BMW label added 100% to the value.......or at least the price!

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of videos on Techron and it was less than impressive. So there are videos of Techrons performance being so poor that it would not make any sense to use it.
Having said that, I do believe there are applications where Techron does work rather well too. It is worth the money for a number of vehicles. As with almost anything there are exceptions as well.

Your thoughts......

I would (and do) at least once in a while. Watch for Canadian Tire's periodic 50% off sale on Regane. They have one going on now, so if you get there before tomorrow morning, you'll be golden. I tend to use Top Tier fuels and don't get a lot of E10, with the G37 needing premium and E10 premium being rather rare here. I still run some Regane or Red Line through on occasion.

BMW partnered with Chevron to formulate a valve cleaner that would alleviate the need for BMW to use walnut shells to remove valve deposits. The solution was a product called TECHRON. I use the "System" cleaner rather than the weaker "injector" cleaner version. Ed

Originally Posted By: Garak
Your thoughts......

I would (and do) at least once in a while. Watch for Canadian Tire's periodic 50% off sale on Regane. They have one going on now, so if you get there before tomorrow morning, you'll be golden. I tend to use Top Tier fuels and don't get a lot of E10, with the G37 needing premium and E10 premium being rather rare here. I still run some Regane or Red Line through on occasion.

HAHA I picked up some Gumout with Regane at CTC already. Dumped it into the truck, still waiting to fill up the VW before using my last bottle. I then got thinking, thus the post asking my question.

Last edited:
Depending on the year and model the VW is one that has no problems, they use a large injector opening. You may not notice any difference at all.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
BMW partnered with Chevron to formulate a valve cleaner that would alleviate the need for BMW to use walnut shells to remove valve deposits. The solution was a product called TECHRON. I use the "System" cleaner rather than the weaker "injector" cleaner version. Ed

Techron has been around for 20 years so I'm a bit skeptical that BMW "partnered" with Chevron to formulate this PEA fuel system cleaner. If you mean that BMW rebrands Techron fuel system cleaner like other automakers and sells it in their dealerships for twice as much as the off-the-shelf retail version then I would agree.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

Truth would be:

"BMW found Techron to be a superior product, and partnered with Chevron to develop a label, so that BMW could extract extra revenue, when suggesting that their customers use it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back