Oil recommendations for Audi s4 2.7 twin turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a little about amsoil but can't find many uoa's or anything on the 5w40 full saps. Definitely would be interested if I could find info on it around the site.

Originally Posted By: Germanjunky
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Rotella is a great oil, but it does not carry the official VW 502.00 approval, which your engine mfg calls for. Will Rotella work? Probably. But if you can get a VW 502.00 approved oil for about the same price as Rotella, then why even bother with Rotella?

Well if rotella works as well as it does and maybe in some cases better than 502 approved oil and I'm out of warranty why not? I'm just asking the question for opinions! I've heard great things about rotella being better than most other approved vw oils. Especially since the zddp is higher for diesels. I just want to know what's the best and easiest to get. Which Mobil definitely fits the bill

Rotella is a great hdeo but it lacks friction modifiers so yes it will work however why bother when m1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 are inexpensive and carry formal approvals.
And one or the other tends to be on sale monthly so stock up when it's cheap.

For price and quality those 2 oils are tough to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Many will say Mobil1 0W40, but I prefer Castrol 0W40. Many Wal-marts stock the Castol 0W40 in a 5 quart jug for $26.68. Castro 0W40 is VW502 approved, made in Germany, is a real PAO synthetic and the newest formula has titanium which may provide additional wear protection if you happen to push your engine before the oil has fully warmed up.

M1 0w-40 is also a PAO based synthetic. If we go by the MSDS, it actually has more PAO than Castrol 0w-40.

USDM m1 0w40 has almost no PAO last time I checked the msds, instead it uses VISOM

Thanks everyone for the opinions. I'm still not decided but hopefully I can figure it out soon lol. I'm sure whichever I go with will be fine. Hopefully more opinions keep rolling in!

LOL! No wonder.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
Many will say Mobil1 0W40, but I prefer Castrol 0W40. Many Wal-marts stock the Castol 0W40 in a 5 quart jug for $26.68. Castro 0W40 is VW502 approved, made in Germany, is a real PAO synthetic and the newest formula has titanium which may provide additional wear protection if you happen to push your engine before the oil has fully warmed up.

M1 0w-40 is also a PAO based synthetic. If we go by the MSDS, it actually has more PAO than Castrol 0w-40.

USDM m1 0w40 has almost no PAO last time I checked the msds, instead it uses VISOM

M1 0w-40 is the same formula globally (as confirmed by XOM). Unfortunately the MSDS's vary by country. The US one (dated March 15th, 2015) doesn't list either on it. The German one, dated November 21st, 2014, lists PAO at 50-60%. The Canadian one, dated August 10th, 2012, lists nothing. The Great Britain one, dated May 18th, 2015, lists PAO at 50-60%.

The common factor is that those that list PAO, list it at the same percentage despite the differences in date.

Do you have a copy of the MSDS that you downloaded that shows VISOM on it? I don't recall seeing that one.

M1 0w-40 is the same formula globally (as confirmed by XOM). Unfortunately the MSDS's vary by country. The US one (dated March 15th, 2015) doesn't list either on it. The German one, dated November 21st, 2014, lists PAO at 50-60%. The Canadian one, dated August 10th, 2012, lists nothing. The Great Britain one, dated May 18th, 2015, lists PAO at 50-60%.

The common factor is that those that list PAO, list it at the same percentage despite the differences in date.

Do you have a copy of the MSDS that you downloaded that shows VISOM on it? I don't recall seeing that one.

Good to know. I was going based of the MSDS' and how the EU version shows 50-60% PAO whereas the US document shows none. VISOM indeed isn't listed on the MSDS, however there is another thread around here that goes into some detail around how it isn't PAO and more a grp3+ base stock. Either way, I think m1 0w40 is a great oil, I just don't know if we can say for sure that the USDM version contains PAO. Do you have a link to XOM confirming that m1 0w40 is the same formulation worldwide?

Last edited:

Good to know. I was going based of the MSDS' and how the EU version shows 50-60% PAO whereas the US document shows none. VISOM indeed isn't listed on the MSDS, however there is another thread around here that goes into some detail around how it isn't PAO and more a grp3+ base stock.

And I believe that was the case up until the recent MSDS change that showed they started using PAO in it again. They've flip-flopped on the formula a couple of times now.

Either way, I think m1 0w40 is a great oil, I just don't know if we can say for sure that the USDM version contains PAO. Do you have a link to XOM confirming that m1 0w40 is the same formulation worldwide?

Working on it
smile.gif

Early BITOG reference (2003) here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/18853/Re:_Castrol_Magnatec?#Post18853
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Actually, according to Mobil, it's their one "global" formula, since it's the same oil no matter where you get it. That can't be said for other grades of Mobil 1, with the possible exception of the 10w30.

2012:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2767172
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
The Mobil 1 FAQ a while back stated the formulation is the same around the world. That makes since as it is meeting those specs around the world. They said even if a product data sheet has slightly different numbers, it's still one formula and the data sheets just aren't all in sync.

The US fluid is made here in the US I believe, but I'd trust it as being just as good as Mobil 1 0w40 anywhere. The US is the home of EM after all.

It's good oil. A shame it is so expensive in your country. I use it in my Mercedes.

And then finally in our Mobil 1 Q & A which is no longer available on the board but thankfully still exists in the Internet Archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101130050634/http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:mobil-1-qaa&catid=42:mobil-1-qaas&Itemid=93

This was actually my question to Mobil, due to the differences between the US and Canadian PDS's for the product at the time, this was my question and their response:

Quote:
Q. Why does the Canadian PDS for the 0w40 differ from the US version? (flash point is different: 236C for the Canadian one, 230C for the US one, no pour point on the US one, cST at 40 and 100 different..etc).

A. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is a global product, and it is the same formulation in almost every area of the world. Though we try to maintain complete consistency in the typical properties that are reported for a given product, there are some minor inconsistencies in the values reported in different countries. Note, however, that these inconsistencies do not reflect any differences in the formulation, quality or performance of the product.

smile.gif

I've been using M1 0W-40 in my 2.7t for a while now, and will likely stick with it for the foreseeable future. Mobil does a $12 rebate each spring and fall, and Walmart is pretty good for having it on rollback price of $23-24, so after rebate around $13 for a 5 quart jug. Can't beat that with a stick!

I've even confirmed that Walmart is a participating retailer for the Mobil rebate, even though it's not listed on Mobil's website as one.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Rotella is a great hdeo but it lacks friction modifiers so yes it will work however why bother when m1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 are inexpensive and carry formal approvals.

So, Moly and Boron arent friction modifiers?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/shellrotellat6.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Not enough to affect the JASO rating therefore I stand by my statement.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Not enough to affect the JASO rating therefore I stand by my statement.

So, now we are talking motorcycles?

There are three easily available oils that meet your spec.

Mobil 1 0W40
Castrol 0W40
Valvoline 5W40

Since you don't like Mobil 1, pick one of the other two and call it a day. They all meet your spec and are good oils that have time and time again shown great results with the UOA that folks have posted here in Audi, VW, BMW, MB and Porsche engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back