Installing Oil Light On 2004 Ford With Idiot Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
No.. LOL you misunderstood my post I want to install an oil pressure light on her dash just in case she loses oil pressure and does not notice the gauge.. We do all her service at the shop. She gets QSUD and a Motorcraft filter every 5000 miles or one year whichever comes first.

If the engine is in such bad shape that you're really worried about it catastrophically losing oil pressure, then either replace the car or replace the engine.

If there is nothing wrong with the engine and there is no reason to believe that it's prone to losing oil pressure, then find something worthwhile to occupy your time.

My Mom drives a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis which we purchased new in 2004.. It is still in showroom condition with low miles and it came from the factory with No Oil Light Just the idiot gauge ford is famous for (Another fine idea from ford) NOT!
I want to install an oil light does anyone know of any "Kit" sold for this purpose... My Mom will not notice the oil gauge in any position i think the oil light is important for anyone who does not look at gauges every minute.. There is no check gauges light or anything.
Any ideas would be great.
smile.gif

I know it's not the same Ford vehicle but my 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 has a joint idiot light for coolant and oil pressure in addition to individual dummy gauges. Check the owner's manual. If you don't have a paper copy you can go on line to Ford and look at it. Actually when you start the car and it's goes through the gauge and idiot line check look for a joint symbol of the temp and oil can.

Whimsey

The engine is in perfect shape and i want to keep it that way but just in case something does happen and it can i want to make sure the engine is turned off asap. I see low mileage engines that need to be totally rebuilt all the time because of all kinds of reasons including more than one that had a damaged oil filter from something hitting it and causing loss of oil pressure, one guy was lucky because his car insurance picked up the tab because he hit something while driving. Remember anything can happen at any time. I remember on an 89 Cadillac that was 5 years old with 98,000 miles on it when my mom called and said she had to turn off the engine because the stop engine oil pressure light came on. I thought that perfectly running engine was finished but she turned it off in time it turned out the oil sender started leaking oil and it was down a quart and no engine damage was done (still have that car and still drives like new with QQ plates. But if that car did not have that big red oil light it would have been a lot different.

I see low mileage engines that need to be totally rebuilt all the time because of all kinds of reasons.....

If, by any chance she ruins her engine by bad luck, just rebuild it for her and say it's a birthday/Christmas/Mother's day present and foot the bill. You do own an engine rebuilding shop, don't you? She'll be so proud of you and will brag you up to all of her lady friends.

I was going to suggest a buzzer as well, that's what we used to do.

Our old ford had a Check Gages light - it always made me crazy that it was misspelled.

My old RX7 had a buzzer that would scream under several circumstances; low oil pressure being one of them.

Low pressure warning is not truly necessary, but one did save my ace after a truck's brake shoes came up off the road and punctured my oil pan. Would I have figured it out anyway? Probably, but it was a good warning to get.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Our old ford had a Check Gages light
My '94 Thunderbird SuperCoupe had one of those, but my 2000 Grandpa-mobile does not...neither does my '03 Marauder.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Our old ford had a Check Gages light
My '94 Thunderbird SuperCoupe had one of those, but my 2000 Grandpa-mobile does not...neither does my '03 Marauder.

I loved those t-birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back