Best synthetic oil for air cooled small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ontario, Canada. Looking to replace the Esso XD-3 0W40 that I used to love but can't find anymore.

Like many I have quite a few gas powered appliances (pressure washer, chipper, snowblower, mower) and would like a good diesel rated synthetic multigrade oil that has great high temp properties. 0W40 or 0W30. Would also consider 5W30 or 5W40 grade.

Looking at the Rotella T6 0W40 with interest, even if it's only a Gr3, the price is right. Anything else I should look at?

Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel, in 5W-40 are other choices...

I do like the 0W-40 Rotella choice, however...

You can find Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40, which replaced the XD-3. You'll find it at a fine price at Imperial Oil. You'll also find the line also includes a 0w-30, a 5w-30, and a 5w-40.

I just filled my mower and snowblower with T6, although I've only been able to find the 5w-40 version here.

Originally Posted By: mangler
Ontario, Canada. Looking to replace the Esso XD-3 0W40 that I used to love but can't find anymore.

Like many I have quite a few gas powered appliances (pressure washer, chipper, snowblower, mower) and would like a good diesel rated synthetic multigrade oil that has great high temp properties. 0W40 or 0W30. Would also consider 5W30 or 5W40 grade.

Looking at the Rotella T6 0W40 with interest, even if it's only a Gr3, the price is right. Anything else I should look at?

Amsoil 4-Stroke for small engines (or similar name)

I imagine 5w-30 MObile 1 high milage, or 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum high milage synthetics would be a good fit if they are available to you. Easy starts in my snowblower and lots of anti-wear since its high milage oil. I wish rotella made a full syn 10w-30 similar to T5.

XD3 has been renamed Mobile Elite 222. Best oil for the price on the market. Esso bulk distributors carry it. Dowler Carn in southern Ont.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W40 and/or Mobil Elite 222 both seem to claim the empty XD-3 throne. Thanks to all who helped peel the labels.

Could they be the same oil? What are we talking for a 4 litre jug? Located near London, On.

Last time I bought XD-3, it was at a local Walmart, for 21.36...Soon after it just disappeared from the shelf.
Maybe pressure from the M1 rep
smile.gif

Looks like it's still a winner. I'll be checking my local imperial oil distributor.

Hi,
mangler - Welcome to the world of BITOG

Perhaps you could consider Delvac 1 LE 5W-30. This is a very modern and competent lubricant which has API's CJ-4/SN Compliance amongst many others

I use T6 5 -40 in an airhead BMW bike, a genset, a Honda mower and a snowblower. Very easy starting in cold weather. Probably overkill for small air cooled engines in a mild climate, but so what.

We too would recommend the Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil for your applications mangler. Being a full synthetic oil, it will indeed work well at high temperatures (as well as flow quicker at lower temperatures). -The Shell Rotella Team

M1 10-30 is what I have used for many yers in all my OPE. All machines perform very well and use no oil.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero

We too would recommend the Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil for your applications mangler. Being a full synthetic oil, it will indeed work well at high temperatures (as well as flow quicker at lower temperatures). -The Shell Rotella Team

I run Rotella T5 in 10w30 in my generator, pressure washer, and riding mower.It is a blend.

Originally Posted By: Garak
You can find Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40, which replaced the XD-3. You'll find it at a fine price at Imperial Oil. You'll also find the line also includes a 0w-30, a 5w-30, and a 5w-40.
Hi Garak, Do you recommend the 40 grade or 30 grade for the aircooled small engines ? , regds.

It depends upon what the manufacturer recommends and what the duty cycle is like, not to mention ambient temperatures. I've used everything from 5w-30 conventional in resource conserving to 0w-40 A3/B3 A3/B4 to HDEOs to actual monogrades.

If it's going to be hot and used a lot (i.e. a city owned or contractor owned air cooled lawnmower), it would probably be best to go with the monograde if recommended by the manual, with an SAE 30 usually being sufficient. For stuff on the farm, that got a fair bit of use, but also might be put into use in cooler times like spring and fall, 10w-30 was used year round. In such a case, I'd use an HDEO 10w-30, since ILSAC oils weren't the norm back then.

For me, who uses such equipment comparatively rarely, being just a homeowner, for rather short periods of time (small yard), and with few climate worries (snowblower is in the heated garage), I use whatever straggler quarts I have laying around. I think I mentioned in another thread here that my lawnmower current has SAE 30 in it, since my small engine guy had to play with the carb. Before that, it had MaxLife 5w-30, non-ILSAC version. My snowblower has RP 0w-40, thanks to a quart laying around. If it were outside all the time in our weather, I'd be wanting a 0w-XX in it, like that RP 0w-40 or Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30.

Basically, I'd say if you're working the stuff fairly hard and in a hot climate, I'd grudgingly recommend an SAE 30, maybe an SAE 40 if preferred by the manual. For me, though, the fuel systems are going to be rebuilt three or four more times, by which time I'll be sick of the equipment, and junk them, with perfectly good engines. For stuff used year round and quite a bit, an HDEO would be a good option, giving appropriate HTHS and a suitable cold cranking capacity, if the correct grade is chosen.

tig1's recommendation above is another very reasonable idea for equipment that gets a fair bit of use. Hunting for an SAE 30 isn't as convenient as happening to have a bottle of M1 10w-30 (or equivalent), which is plenty capable, on the shelf. A lot of manuals I've read treat 10w-30 and SAE 30 about the same, with a little more "worry" about 5w-30 when it comes to consumption.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 10-30 is what I have used for many yers in all my OPE. All machines perform very well and use no oil.

Same here. Close to 1300hrs on JD lawn tractor. Cutting 9 acres of grass. No oil related issues at all with the Kawasaki motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back