McLane mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I would be getting this
McLane 21-Inch 6.75 Gross Torque Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower
instead of the Honda. Same question applies; is the oil and gas separate?

Don't get that McLane unless it's the self propelled model. They're heavy and they don't push very easy. Don't get the manual push model. And yes, the oil and gas is separate.

Personally i'd stick with the variable-speed Honda. As Merk said, they are heavy. If you do get one, make sure it's self propelled. You'll get tired of a manual pusher pretty quickly.

From here on out - unless it's an older Lawnboy or specifically says '2-stroke', 99.9% of the newer 21" or 22" push mowers are, by default, 4-strokes.

Last edited:
In addition to being very heavy, it looks like the McLanes have variable speed throttle controls which, in my opinion, cause more problems than they solve.

Did you look at a Toro 22 inch self pace? They get good reviews and if I would need a replacement for my Honda I that is what I would buy. Had one and let it get away from me.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Did you look at a Toro 22 inch self pace? They get good reviews and if I would need a replacement for my Honda I that is what I would buy. Had one and let it get away from me.

+1, I love my B&S powered 22" Toro Recycler "Personal Pace" drive system.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Same question applies; is the oil and gas separate?

Of course. 2-stroke mowers are dinosaurs these days- old Lawn Boys have a loyal following and they're becoming collectable, but the vast majority of mowers have been 4-stroke for 60 years. I don't know if B&S has EVER built a 2-stroke engine for production, I sure can't think of one at least back to the 1950s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Of course. 2-stroke mowers are dinosaurs these days- old Lawn Boys have a loyal following and they're becoming collectable, but the vast majority of mowers have been 4-stroke for 60 years. I don't know if B&S has EVER built a 2-stroke engine for production, I sure can't think of one at least back to the 1950s.

Briggs sold a 2-cycle engine, but I'm not sure they actually produced them; I think they were made by Mitsubishi. It was model 957xx or 967xx. Related link:

http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratton/model-09/95720-ms9168-0891.pdf

Briggs had a 2 stroke that was used only in snow blowers for just a couple years. They wern't to bad once you replaced the original carb. with the replacement.

Off topic, but for many, many decades, this Jacobson 2 cycle mower was the standard of the commercial industry. Simple, indestructable.

https://youtu.be/Hq34wmf9ji0
371b593d0f9a454ea043337e87af8c8a.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Don't get that McLane unless it's the self propelled model. They're heavy and they don't push very easy. Don't get the manual push model. And yes, the oil and gas is separate.

Based on the McLane website, they don't even offer the 21" rotary mower w/ self propel.

They are heavy-duty looking beasts. Not that horrible at $482 w/ free shipping. I'd hold off for something with an aluminum deck though.

I've got the Snapper Ninja Commercial 21". It's a steel deck and would be a bear to lug around w/out being self-propelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back