Jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Quint is my favorite character from any movie, ever.

I think the scene after dinner when he described being in shark infested waters after the Indianapolis sank was one of the best acted scenes of all time.

I agree!

Originally Posted By: JetStar
The movie turns 40 this summer. Where the heck does time go?

Is this a serious question? Time seemingly passing ever faster the older we get is a psychological phenomenon. The younger you are, the more things are yet to be experienced, ,many of them milestones in a human life. When we wait for something to happen, when we anticipate, time crawls. On the other hand, if we are older, we have less things left to anticipate, so time seems to past faster. Then there is retrospection, which is the real time killer. If we look back at things, especially those milestones in our lives, time seems to have flown, because all those things are already behind us, but we recall them in an instant. In conclusion, if you want time to pass more slowly, work towards important goals while not being too retrospective.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Roy Scheider completely made up the "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat" line up on the spot...

This may be an urban legend, depending who you ask. I saw an interview with Spielberg and he said it was very much in the script and was not an ad lib.

As I understand it, Shaw's speech about Quint and the Indianapolis was written by Shaw himself. He was also a writer -- I believe, without looking it up, that he wrote the play/movie "The Man in the Glass Booth."

Shaw was indeed a massive presence whenever he was on screen -- as Grant the SMERSH (or SPECTRE?) killer in "From Russia with Love," or as the target of Newman and Redford in "The Sting." But Quint was truly the sort of part an actor dreams about.

"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,
"Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain . . ."

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
As I understand Grant the SMERSH (or SPECTRE?) killer in "From Russia with Love,"

Red Grant was SMERSH's head henchman. SMERSH was Fleming's fictional Russian counterspy agency, although there was a real SMERSH during WW2 and until right after. Notable SMERSH members were Le Chiffre, Goldfinger and Mr. Big. SPECTRE, the global crime syndicate, was lead by Blofeld with key people Largo, Klebb and Bunt. Klebb was also a member of SMERSH. Who wants to explain VIRTUCON and THRUSH?

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Who wants to explain VIRTUCON and THRUSH?

No takers? THRUSH was an evil organization on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and VIRTUCON is Dr. Evil's industrial complex.

In the movie FRWL Red Grant worked for SPECTRE- not SMERSH. The primary difference between the movie and the film is that in the film SPECTRE, instead of SMERSH, sets up the theft of the Lektor as a ruse to lure Bond into a situation where he can be executed by Grant.
SPECTRE stands for:
Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion

I still believe Shaw should've won an Oscar for Best Supporting actor.
Who won it that year anyway?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I still believe Shaw should've won an Oscar for Best Supporting actor.
Who won it that year anyway?

1976 Academy Awards:

WINNER
The Sunshine Boys: George Burns

NOMINEES
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: Brad Dourif
The Day of the Locust: Burgess Meredith
Dog Day Afternoon: Chris Sarandon
Shampoo: Jack Warden

John williams won an Oscar for the best original score for Jaws, and Verna Field won the OScar for best editing for Jaws.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
In the movie FRWL Red Grant worked for SPECTRE- not SMERSH. The primary difference between the movie and the film is that in the film SPECTRE, instead of SMERSH, sets up the theft of the Lektor as a ruse to lure Bond into a situation where he can be executed by Grant.
SPECTRE stands for:

You are correct. Grant was working as an assassin for SPECTRE! Klebb, the former SMERSH agent, now working for SPECTRE, was put in charge of stealing the Lektor.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
As I understand it, Shaw's speech about Quint and the Indianapolis was written by Shaw himself. He was also a writer -- I believe, without looking it up, that he wrote the play/movie "The Man in the Glass Booth."

Shaw was indeed a massive presence whenever he was on screen -- as Grant the SMERSH (or SPECTRE?) killer in "From Russia with Love," or as the target of Newman and Redford in "The Sting." But Quint was truly the sort of part an actor dreams about.

"Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,
"Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain . . ."

On the DVD's The Making of Jaws, Spielberg says screenwriter Howard Sackler had the idea for the Indianapolis speech, but that he wrote only a couple paragraphs (Sackler did not want to get credit for the script, which was worked on by several people, including Spielberg before being finished by and credited to Peter Benchley and Carl Gottlieb). Spielberg then showed the Annapolis speech to George Lucas's friend diector/writer John Milius (Red Dawn), who fleshed out the speech. The speech was now several pages long. Robert Shaw asked Speilberg to let him edit the speech. Robert Shaw's version of the speech is based on John Milius's version of Howard Sackler's original.

Who wants to explain VIRTUCON and THRUSH?

No takers? THRUSH was an evil organization on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and VIRTUCON is Dr. Evil's industrial complex.

Thrush was the counterpart to U.N.C.L.E. (the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement). As Sam Rolfe, the developer (read: creator) of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E.", put it in the 1964 promotional booklet:

"Thrush is not an organization of criminals like the Mafia or Cosa Nostra. It is a supra-nation -- and it is constantly at war. Thrush has no allies. It has only enemies. Good men or evil men, if you are not a member of Thrush, you are marked to be ruled or destroyed."

(A very modern concept to my mind, in a 21st Century filled with terrorists unattached to any one nation)

Originally Posted By: MCompact
SPECTRE stands for:

You are correct. Grant was working as an assassin for SPECTRE! Klebb, the former SMERSH agent, now working for SPECTRE, was put in charge of stealing the Lektor.

Right. I grew up with the novels, so my first thought was SMERSH. But I recalled the films, ca. 1963, dodged the idea of the Soviets being the prime villains by using Fleming's later idea, SPECTRE.

According to wikipedia, Lee Marvin was offered the role of Quint in Jaws but he declined, stating "What would I tell my fishing friends who'd see me come off a hero against a dummy shark?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back