2014 Ford Escape - 5W30 4850km on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Ford Escape - 2.0L Ecoboost
5W30 Motocraft
FL910s

19522km on engine
4845km on the sampled oil

The sodium is a bit scary is there any reason this might occur?

It is 45%highway 55%city driven. Its driven fairly easy, its not a race car but I occasionally like to hear the turbo spool.

Yes, the sodium is certainly high and I don't believe it's from the content of the MotorCraft 5W30 motor oil.

Though, this much sodium could be coming from the coolant, should there be an intake manifold or head gasket that is allowing coolant to seep into the oil.

You may want to take this matter up with your dealer!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, the sodium is certainly high and I don't believe it's from the content of the MotorCraft 5W30 motor oil.

Though, this much sodium could be coming from the coolant, should there be an intake manifold or head gasket that is allowing coolant to seep into the oil.

You may want to take this matter up with your dealer!

There could have been a change in the additive package...

Careful, the poster is in Canada. If Canadian Motorcraft oil is Imperial Oil (XOM), then it will be Mobil Super 1000 conventional, which has a sodium based additive package. This is why our heavy hitters always recommend a VOA (or periodic VOAs) and sticking with one approved lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Careful, the poster is in Canada. If Canadian Motorcraft oil is Imperial Oil (XOM), then it will be Mobil Super 1000 conventional, which has a sodium based additive package. This is why our heavy hitters always recommend a VOA (or periodic VOAs) and sticking with one approved lubricant.

Right! I was looking at PQIA test results of MC oils(5W20/5W30) and their sodium is very low. Could be the add pkg or the Canadian version produced by others than CP!

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Motorcraft.htm

And this one...being from 2011???

http://www.pqiamerica.com/January2012A/January2012R2/motorcraft.htm

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain it's Imperial Oil, so that would explain the sodium. The only CP Motorcraft product we get up here is the 5w-50, at least from the last time I saw the bottles.

I ended up getting an oil change early because of a short road trip coming up, but I replaced the Motocraft with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a FL910s I'll sample this change as well when it comes time.

I was just a bit alarmed by that reading being so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back