2004 Saturn L300 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's wrong with the Taurus?

Well it's a long story, but since you asked and this is my thread i'll tell you.

The two biggest things that are keeping it off the road are at least 1 busted brake line in an unknown location (somewhere under the middle of the car) and it has a bad battery too. I had to make a panic stop one day for a wreck in front of me, and it shot out all the fluid with a powerful pop.

I could get the 1 hopefully brake line repaired, but if that one is so crusty it busted, then i probably am due for all the other brake lines and fuel lines too. This wouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the car was okay, but it's got a lot other things that need attention too...

The heater core is plugged, that needs replaced otherwise i can't use it in our cold winters. The A/C compressor/or just the clutch is bad; sucks to not have A/C but liveable without it. The system actually may be leak free, although it needs to be recharged since it got evacuated trying to fix the compressor; don't ask about that!

All 4 shocks are sagging badly, its got 145k on the oem suspension parts, it's so bad on the one side that when i was driving in a hilly section of switchbacks, the tire was rubbing on something. Also all 4 tires are pretty badly dry rotted, even though two have good tread and two are marginal. (Kelly Explorer tires)

The exhaust is damaged somewhere around the flex pipe after the cat causing some combination of codes which i wasn't even aware of until recently; apparently the little bulb on my dash for the check engine light is bad, since i didn't discover that until i plugged in my scan tool for fun.

The drivers window also leaks pretty badly on my leg in the rain, all the seals are aging bad for that matter. The power locks don't work. The door handles stick. Got a pretty good amount of rust going in various spots, including the jack points and drivers rear wheel well. The windshield washer fluid sprayer is out too; highly annoying. The hoses always go bad too.

The engine and transmission work beautifully, even though the Vulcan drinks Mobil 1 HM 5w30 at a rate of at least 1 quart per 1k miles, the rest of the thing is falling apart around it. The brakes are good, the power steering rack has been replaced recently, the radio and all speakers work fine, the power windows work, except one which is slow, the MPG ain't that bad for a V6, the car is big and roomy.

As bad as all that sounds, im not sure i don't want to fix it , but i really don't want to lol.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

For an alternative, take a look at the Hyundai XG350.

Funny you mentioned that, they happen to have one in my price range at the dealer i have been looking at, but just now noticed it since you pointed it out.

http://www.midwestautostore.com/web/used/Hyundai-XG350-2005-Florence-Kentucky/21049998/

2w_800.jpg

Jw_800.jpg

ig_800.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's wrong with the Taurus?

Well it's a long story, but since you asked and this is my thread i'll tell you.

The two biggest things that are keeping it off the road are at least 1 busted brake line in an unknown location (somewhere under the middle of the car) and it has a bad battery too. I had to make a panic stop one day for a wreck in front of me, and it shot out all the fluid with a powerful pop.

I could get the 1 hopefully brake line repaired, but if that one is so crusty it busted, then i probably am due for all the other brake lines and fuel lines too. This wouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the car was okay, but it's got a lot other things that need attention too...

The heater core is plugged, that needs replaced otherwise i can't use it in our cold winters. The A/C compressor/or just the clutch is bad; sucks to not have A/C but liveable without it. The system actually may be leak free, although it needs to be recharged since it got evacuated trying to fix the compressor; don't ask about that!

All 4 shocks are sagging badly, its got 145k on the oem suspension parts, it's so bad on the one side that when i was driving in a hilly section of switchbacks, the tire was rubbing on something. Also all 4 tires are pretty badly dry rotted, even though two have good tread and two are marginal. (Kelly Explorer tires)

The exhaust is damaged somewhere around the flex pipe after the cat causing some combination of codes which i wasn't even aware of until recently; apparently the little bulb on my dash for the check engine light is bad, since i didn't discover that until i plugged in my scan tool for fun.

The drivers window also leaks pretty badly on my leg in the rain, all the seals are aging bad for that matter. The power locks don't work. The door handles stick. Got a pretty good amount of rust going in various spots, including the jack points and drivers rear wheel well. The windshield washer fluid sprayer is out too; highly annoying. The hoses always go bad too.

The engine and transmission work beautifully, even though the Vulcan drinks Mobil 1 HM 5w30 at a rate of at least 1 quart per 1k miles, the rest of the thing is falling apart around it. The brakes are good, the power steering rack has been replaced recently, the radio and all speakers work fine, the power windows work, except one which is slow, the MPG ain't that bad for a V6, the car is big and roomy.

As bad as all that sounds, im not sure i don't want to fix it , but i really don't want to lol.
Lol I'm sorry I asked!
crazy2.gif
maybe see if the brake line can be patched and have the rest inspected, if it just needs a patch then fix that and throw a battery in it and drive it til' she croaks!

Funny you mentioned that, they happen to have one in my price range at the dealer i have been looking at, but just now noticed it since you pointed it out.

Again, it's an easy choice for me. Hyundai.

Here's the rub though: From the outside looking in, you're in no situation where the word "choice" should be a part of the selection process. Self-admittedly, you:

Have no money saved
Are unable to secure credit at most places

Remember this adage: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Will this dealership extend credit to you? No doubt, at an unholy APR. Purchasing a $5k-$7k, 11-year old cheap sedan with 100k on the clock does nothing to help you dig out from the present situation, and really only exacerbates the issue as you're stuck with negative equity and repair bills as the vehicle ages.

Look, I don't intend to be overly harsh -- this is just a situation where "need" should take precedent over "want", and you need to minimize expenditure and get something you can live with while building up that bank account.

Regardless, I wish you well.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Again, it's an easy choice for me. Hyundai.

Here's the rub though: From the outside looking in, you're in no situation where the word "choice" should be a part of the selection process. Self-admittedly, you:

Have no money saved
Are unable to secure credit at most places

Remember this adage: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Will this dealership extend credit to you? No doubt, at an unholy APR. Purchasing a $5k-$7k, 11-year old cheap sedan with 100k on the clock does nothing to help you dig out from the present situation, and really only exacerbates the issue as you're stuck with negative equity and repair bills as the vehicle ages.

Look, I don't intend to be overly harsh -- this is just a situation where "need" should take precedent over "want", and you need to minimize expenditure and get something you can live with while building up that bank account.

Regardless, I wish you well.

Yes i understand, but i am running into a problem where most places want to have a minimum amount financed to even get a loan, ie: $5000, otherwise they want you to pay cash, hence the reason i am looking in the $5000-$7000 range, because i want to get a car that hopefully doesn't need a lot of repairs!

Maybe try a credit union for a car loan? They should have reasonable rates and conditions, ours does financial planning for free.
They may have some ideas to make your next car purchase a cash deal.

Does the XG350 have a longitudinally mounted engine or is it just a funny shaped engine cover for a transverse engine? Looks like it is transverse with the transmission on the drivers side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back