Royal Purple HPS vs Redline Synthetic Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask RP to send you a free 2 ounce sample of assembly lube and base your decision off of their answer.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Agreed. That line isn't for long or even standard drains.

Even if the TBN were fine, akin to some M1 racing oils, I'd be afraid of the ZDDP content. The last VOA I could find on the site here of the product showed a very high ZDDP level, well above what I'd consider safe for a non-racing engine.

As was already stated, why put $100 of oil into a $400 truck? If one is really concerned about wear, grab a 10w-30 HDEO at a quarter of the cost and rest easy.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think you'd be better off worrying about the transmission and gear oils. Save your money and use Mobil 1 10w-40 HM. Film strength will be just fine.

^^^ This. M1 HM is a great oil.

What makes you so confident in Mobil 1 HM ?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I think you'd be better off worrying about the transmission and gear oils. Save your money and use Mobil 1 10w-40 HM. Film strength will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Even if the TBN were fine, akin to some M1 racing oils, I'd be afraid of the ZDDP content. The last VOA I could find on the site here of the product showed a very high ZDDP level, well above what I'd consider safe for a non-racing engine.

As was already stated, why put $100 of oil into a $400 truck? If one is really concerned about wear, grab a 10w-30 HDEO at a quarter of the cost and rest easy.

And that's the real point here. Isn't it?

What makes this engine require a super duper oil?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing makes this engine require an oil with esters or synerlec and whatnot.
Personally I'd use whatever got it to this point. It's nothing special. Therefore doesn't require any special lubricant with exotic qualities.

Buy what's on sale.

Done

I respectfully disagree.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing makes this engine require an oil with esters or synerlec and whatnot.
Personally I'd use whatever got it to this point. It's nothing special. Therefore doesn't require any special lubricant with exotic qualities.

Buy what's on sale.

Done

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I respectfully disagree.

Buy what's on sale.

Done

Is it high horsepower? No.
Does it create high cylinder pressures? No.
Does it have abnormally heavy valve springs due to having an extremely high operating RPM range? No.

There is nothing extraordinary about this application that requires this obsession about lubricant choice. You haven't cammed it, milled the head, put in domed pistons and bumped the compression up to 11:1, had the head ported and polished, installed a full-length tubular header and had it tuned to rev to the moon. This is a STOCK application and subsequently its lubricant requirements are as per the manufacturer.

If you were to put a turbo or something on it to significantly increase cylinder pressure and power density, then perhaps looking at something heavier would make sense. But that is not the case here.

Most of us on here want the "best" for our vehicles but that "best" needs to be quantified/qualified. Obsessing about traits that are not relevant to your application isn't taking you down that road.

I've used it, and it decreased oil consumption compared to regular M1. I've used it in track day situations, and it stood up to the heat.

I've used it, and it decreased oil consumption compared to regular M1. I've used it in track day situations, and it stood up to the heat.

M1 HM oil is great stuff! I've used a ton of it in 10W40. I had a perfect UAO with it also. I plan on maybe using it next oil change.

Please be more specific? Thanks...

Originally Posted By: LX289
Redline. Has bigger oil molecules

Lawnguy don't be misled by those detractors that consistently denounce people who prefer Royal purple products as fanboys. That in and of itself should show you who you are dealing with and reduce their credibility.

I have quite a bit of experience with Royal purple and used to see the previous owner (before they sold it) on a regular basis.

Having said that, Royal Purple offers superior protection through TBN retention that is unmatched throughout the industry (check out UOAs posted here), their synerlec additive that creates a ridiculous reduction in wear (and makes a great gun oil as well FYI) and has an additive package that is stouter than most if not all.

Check out the Royal purple website or call them directly for more info. Their customer service is second to none, and they operate with a certain transparency that you typically wouldn't find with other companies. They will answer any questions you may have.

As for redline, it may be a good oil, but it's limited availability, high cost and questionable performance in comparison to other oils make it a boutique oil at best.

YMMV. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Lawnguy don't be misled by those detractors that consistently denounce people who prefer Royal purple products as fanboys. That in and of itself should show you who you are dealing with and reduce their credibility.

Some RP products have their own branch of physical sciences that only fanboys believe in.

I have quite a bit of experience with Royal purple and used to see the previous owner (before they sold it) on a regular basis.

Having said that, Royal Purple offers superior protection through TBN retention that is unmatched throughout the industry (check out UOAs posted here), their synerlec additive that creates a ridiculous reduction in wear (and makes a great gun oil as well FYI) and has an additive package that is stouter than most if not all.

Check out the Royal purple website or call them directly for more info. Their customer service is second to none, and they operate with a certain transparency that you typically wouldn't find with other companies. They will answer any questions you may have.

As for redline, it may be a good oil, but it's limited availability, high cost and questionable performance in comparison to other oils make it a boutique oil at best.

YMMV. Good luck!

40.gif

Unfortunately, you sound like a one-manned advertising campaign which does nothing but tarnish the image of the product you are trying to peddle. All you need is a roadside stand and a timken machine! LOL!

Seriously though, Royal Purple makes good products. That's all that can be claimed here. The rest of the ridiculous diatribe you've spewn has no basis in reality. Have you considered a career in marketing? Your ability to spin and spew despite what the detractors may bring to the table that counters your points can only be described as impressive.

what a well thought out and eloquent way to say absolutely nothing.

Have you considered a career in politics?

Pretty much describes the content of all your "sales pitch" posts. All kinds of words, zero substance
wink.gif

The difference between the politician and the salesman is the ability to sell one's self; to garner (at least temporarily) a positive reputation in the eyes of one's peers and the public so that you are chosen over the other candidates. You lack that characteristic/ability which is why your posts are universally despised and/or laughed at on this board and most often regarded as SPAM and you a shill for whatever product you are peddling at that moment. This is why you will always be the salesman.

Had you worked on developing a rapport with BITOG members and held back on the claims and marketing language, your positive comments about Royal Purple and Purolator may have been taken in a different light. Unfortunately that approach was not taken and your reputation now reflects that. Going forward, all your posts are considered in that context; in the context of your reputation. This in turn dictates the replies that you will get and how people take what you post. This is why you are not taken seriously and why the vast majority of replies to any posts that you make are negative.

Come now Mr. Canadian, there is no reason to be snarky with me.

I don't sell anything. I don't own stock in anything. Coincidentally we can't say the same for some on here.

Just because you and your handful of henchmen continually refute my input does not make it wrong. And as such not one of you has ever been able to refute my standpoint on any of my posts. I bring facts, logic and reasoning while you collectively being witty anecdotes and personal attacks.

My posts are referred to as spam? Universally? Hilarious.

There are a few of us here who are the bane of your existence for the sole reason that we do not agree with your fallacies or buy into your brainwashed group think. Perhaps all of your posts are taken in that regard. Eh?

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Speaking of which, How about that Fram ultra?

Last edited:
Come now Mr. Canadian, there is no reason to be snarky with me.

I don't sell anything. I don't own stock in anything. Coincidentally we can't say the same for some on here.

Just because you and your handful of henchmen continually refute my input does not make it wrong. And as such not one of you has ever been able to refute my standpoint on any of my posts. I bring facts, logic and reasoning while you collectively being witty anecdotes and personal attacks.

My posts are referred to as spam? Hilarious.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Speaking of which, How about that Fram ultra?

Handful of henchmen? Do you read the replies to your posts? It isn't a handful of people.

Your standpoint(s) have been refuted many times by many different people. Now of course you've never acknowledged any of it so in your mind you are still "right" which is the main crux of the issue. On one hand you are making these wild and crazy statements and on the other, when somebody takes you to task over them you just repeat the same hyperbolic nonsense while sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la la la la".

You bring the furthest thing from facts, logic or reasoning to the table and you stating to the contrary doesn't make it so. Your post in this thread is exactly the kind of marketing speak you are famous for, long on claims, short on facts. It is all just opinion pandered as the truth and you expecting people to blindly swallow it because they are your words. Unfortunately, as I said in my earlier reply, your reputation on this board essentially guarantees that this won't happen. Nobody takes anything you say seriously because you come across like a salesman.

Early on, had you toned down on the marketing propaganda and slagging of other products, you would be perceived differently. But you didn't, and so you aren't. Your reputation is that of a shill and that isn't going to change. Which makes me wonder why you bother to continue posting knowing that nobody takes you seriously
21.gif
Seems like a monumental waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back