Camry inflation pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
the manual states for
130mph 38 psi front 35 rear
100mph 35psi front 32 rear
Under 100mph 29 psi front n back

I pumped to 32 front and back and it was too soft and bouncy and my fuel consumption rose. I'm trying 34 front 33 rear.

At 32psi it was too soft, how could the manual be recommending 29? I always travel below 100 mph, do you all think I can do like 35 front n 34 rear?

Yes, you can try 35 psi front and 34 psi rear, if the ride is too hash then reduce both front and rear back down to 34 front 33 rear.

Some tires have softer sidewall and they need to pump up few PSI to get correct ride/handling.

What tire, what car (many various Camrys out there)? What sidewall profile?

We have an 02 ES300 with Yokohama Avid Touring S tires, stock size (215/60-16). Basically same as 5th gen Camry V6. I have experimented and settled on 36 both f/r. I tend to like a firmer ride for better handling and mpg vs. comfort.

After a lot of experimenting with my SUV, I also run it 36 f/r with Toyo Open Country A/Ts.

What HTSS-TR said about sidewall variability is very true. You have to tailor it to the tire and the load; not a generic for answer for all tires and cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bernau
At 32psi it was too soft, how could the manual be recommending 29?

"Too soft" is certainly subjective. I won't run more than about 31 psi on our CR-V because the ride becomes harsh pretty quick. Others say they think it's soft anywhere below 38 psi. Our back sides are all tuned differently.

Originally Posted By: bernau
the manual states for
130mph 38 psi front 35 rear
100mph 35psi front 32 rear
Under 100mph 29 psi front n back

I pumped to 32 front and back and it was too soft and bouncy and my fuel consumption rose. I'm trying 34 front 33 rear.

At 32psi it was too soft, how could the manual be recommending 29? I always travel below 100 mph, do you all think I can do like 35 front n 34 rear?

This is all about the compromise - "the feel" - and if your idea of what is important is different than what the Toyota ride engineer's idea is, you will get different results.

Further, the tires that came on the car would be different that what you would have replaced them with - further complicating "the feel".

Personally, I prefer a crisper turn in, so I tend to use more a little pressure, and I am willing to live with the reduction in ride harshness.

door jamb on the 05 Kitacam with 15" rims is 29psi...
...with upsized 17s I'm running 38psi and like the ride/response.

I think 17"ers on later model years were 34psi rated...so I don't think 38 is excessive.

Last edited:
I want to know in which country your Camry can go 130 mph! I do not recall seeing any US documentation which gives different PSI at different speed in Toyota Owner's Manual. Certainly no 100mph or 130mh references there!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I want to know in which country your Camry can go 130 mph! I do not recall seeing any US documentation which gives different PSI at different speed in Toyota Owner's Manual. Certainly no 100mph or 130mh references there!

Um USA?
In every toyota manual they have a 100MPH spec that i've read, it's been there for at least the past 20 years, but perhaps buried under specs.

Here's an example for a 2005 camry
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM33645U/pdf/8.pdf

To the OP, go for it. One time-saving tip is to start your testing at the higher PSI. Cause it's pretty easy to reduce pressure versus having to get your compresser out again or stop by a gas station to add extra air in.

Last edited:
I use the door placard as a starting point - adjust per what tires are in use, driving conditions, wear pattern, etc. Most times I run a little higher than the placard. My DD (SUV) I run 5psi higher front, 4psi higher rear. Other car, 6psi higher front & rear. Another car (SUV) 3psi higher front & rear.

Guys please follow owner manual. My 2006 Camry call for 29 psi. I put 35 psi, and now my tires are bald ( center). I learned my lesson. Please do the correct tire rotation, forward cross for fwd. and correct psi. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
Guys please follow owner manual. My 2006 Camry call for 29 psi. I put 35 psi, and now my tires are bald ( center). I learned my lesson. Please do the correct tire rotation, forward cross for fwd. and correct psi. Good luck.
I ran 40 psi in my 97' Camry and it wore perfectly.

Wow. It is weird. I have Michelin premier as now, and my new tires are on the way. It is general altimax rt43. I don't feel like spending $550 total on Michelin tires.

I am running 30 psi cold now in my Michelin tires. The ride is pretty smooth. I want to get as many miles I can get on the tires. So i will be running 29 or 30 psi.

Maybe my car need alignment or tires need to be balance. Who know. I am glad your car is ok.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: moto94536
I ran 40 psi in my 97' Camry and it wore perfectly.

I've ran 36/34 in my Corolla on 3 different sets of tires and always the tires wore perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back