ATF Filter for External Spin on Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure if this is the right forum to post this question. So, if I’m wrong..... hopefully the Mods will post this to the right forum.

I plan on putting on a B&M external, spin-on transmission filter onto my 1997 Toyota 4Runner, SR5 in the next couple of weeks. This will be at the same time I plan on replacing my original radiator and adding an external transmission cooler.

The setup would be as follows: Transmission line to external spin on filter, then hydraulic hose to radiator transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator, followed by a hose from radiator transmission outlet to the external transmission cooler and ending with line from external transmission cooler back to the transmission.

My question is this: Would an oversized M1, Purolator Classic, Purolator P1 or a K&N filter be acceptable for filtration as the external filter or would I need to use a hydraulic oil filter instead?

All suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

The M1 would be fine. I would avoid the Purolator or Bosch filters due to the tearing issues. I've had three bad ones. I was never all that impressed with K&N efficiency. The Fram Ultra is well constructed and has good efficiency.

Please post some pics when you have completed the work. I would be interested in seeing how you set everything up. We have a 99 Tacoma. What size motor do you in your 4Runner?

I have the 3.4 liter V6, 4wd.

I forgot to mention that I plan to run the hoses to the radiator and by-pass the external transmission cooler in the cold of winter.

The setup for winter, as planned, would be from the transmission to the external oversized filter....then to the radiator, (to warm up the AFT), then back to the transmission.

I really don't need to run the external cooler in the dead cold of winter....so I'll just cap off the lines for input and output on the external until warm weather arrives.

What I was concerned about was the filtration using regular oil filters....and the flow of ATF.

I plan on running a filter-mag on the oversized external filter.....year round...to catch any iron or steel bit from the transmission.

I'll post some pic's when the project is completed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back