Clay bar lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its been posted because I remember reading about it.

I clayed the truck and with the remaining, dirty clay, I want to try and make the bed look nice. Just doing a reg cab truck i used the whole bottle of instant detailer since it felt like it was gouging the surface. I will probably get some more instant detailer the next time I clay the body, but for the bed what do I do?

One ounce of car soap to ten ounces water? Is this correct and will the concoction spray, or do you pour it?

Thanks.....alot of good help around these parts

Your going to clay the bed of the truck where you throw the wood and manure and lawn tractor?

Are you married and do you have kids? Too much time on your hands.

I went to minimal waxing mode once I had kids as they were more important than my car or truck.

ONR. I just grab my bottle mixed to the QD ratio. But like Donald says, its few and VERY far between these days (like, I haven't even washed in about 2 months).

I want the truck to not deteriorate and the clay is used, soap and water are almost free........ Spray in bedliner = $500+. And you are ragging on me for spending a few minutes doing what I do?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Your going to clay the bed of the truck where you throw the wood and manure and lawn tractor?

I went to minimal waxing mode once I had kids as they were more important than my car or truck.

Seriously buddy? You make a lot of assumptions about a man's life and all he did was ask a simple question.

35.gif

Ok, ok , we have a few Mad Max here.

So on topic. I've never found a lube that has prevented scratches from clay bars. And this was on a brand new car. Brought home detailed from dealer. Re washed AGAIN and then I seriously sprayed QD , then clayed like a 6"by 6" area, kneaded and did another segment.

Result, micro scratches like the ones you get wiping a clean cloth across new plexiglas. Very fine but there nonetheless. I even watched chemical guys, mcGuires, etc. I'm over 21 and not heavy handed. Still micro scratches. Burgundy metallic toyota '13 paint. Some day I'll video tape myself and prove it because it drives me nuts. Perhaps some cars are simply unable to be clayed. Or need like $200 of fresh clay to do the car.

I have a family and a Job and still find to wax BOTH SUV's. I suppose soap and water mix would work too. I have seen people do it.

Ideally, If you do use the clay bar on the bed throw it away after. If you were to do it again get a new one use it on the rest of the truck then do the bed then throw it out etc.

Also, people don't need to worry how much time someone has or doesn't have he just asked a question and apparently takes pride in his vehicle, which I can appreciate.

Once you clay the bed you will need to protect it. If it was me I would skip the clay but use an all in one like Klasse AIO, Meg's or Mothers cleaner wax. Probably not what you have in mind but you would clean and protect in one process. KAIO would be my pick.

In other words you are to lazy to keep up on your vehicles. I have kids too, two jobs a wife and house. I still maintain our 3 vehicles to meticulous standards. You are right that kids are more important though. I just laughed my [censored] off when people use the kids an excuse to not get work done.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Car soap and water +1

You will not notice any difference from the instant detailer

Spray from old windex or similar bottle

This. I use Mequires Gold Car Shampoo diluted about 1:10 with excellent results. It will spray out of your old QD bottles. I keep my hose handy and rinse off each panel afterwords as I go.....a luxury in our water rich state.

Don't be afraid to experiment with the ration a bit until it feels good and slick. Make sure the car is washed well ahead of time to get rid of any loose grit on the surface.

A few forums say that one brand of clay will break up with soapy water. I've never had this problem or ANY problems with marring on MY particular vehicles.

Have fun! Many years ago I was a bit self centered about maintaining material things vs. others. I'm so glad that I've outgrown that with maturity. There are tons more priorities than wealth and material possessions. Sorry for the rant.

Clay that bed!!!!

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: Chris B.

In other words you are to lazy to keep up on your vehicles. I have kids too, two jobs a wife and house. I still maintain our 3 vehicles to meticulous standards. You are right that kids are more important though. I just laughed my [censored] off when people use the kids an excuse to not get work done.

God you are conceited. You know some people need to work more than others due to job requirements, pay scale, etc. Or, like our family we have a new baby as well as two working parents and one of which is also back in a college full time. I wish we all had the nice white collar time and money you do, but maybe if Mr Obama gets a third term he can... "level the playing field"

No I just jumped on him because he jumped on the OP for simpling asking a simple detail question. What goes around comes around.

Just to be clear I'm not White collar or even close. I work For Wal-Mart in a distribution center moving freight by hand or fork lift for 13 hours a day. Physically tough job on top of kids, family, house and yard commitments. Still have time and energy to maintain our vehicles. What is your excuse?

Last edited:
Here is my bed that I clay and wax once a year. It had a plastic liner at one time that put some scratches in the paint but overall it is still in great shape and pushing 20 years old:

Nice job Mr. B!

So as to try to alter some styles of thinking, this thought has come to me.

Say we were around in earlier time.....would you just give your camel water and food when you feel like it or feed it a healthy diet, put lotion on its sores, use the best water you can find for it, give it a day of rest, clean and treat the equipment (as in, bridles, saddles, mouthpiece), give it a good brushing after youve reached your destination for the day, and so on.

I travel at about 1.5mph and keep my feet clean, nails clipped, socks and shoes in good shape. Now with modern transportation that will take us about 100 miles a day by bicycle up to about 5000 miles a day for aerospace.

So, shouldnt we not take this "luxury" for granted and do more than change the oil such as keeping the paint and metal from rusting and keep our carriage free from noise, visual, or air pollution. In other words, take care of what we have.

I, and some of you, have probably thought the Critic was a bit over the top with paint care. But his education has turned into art. Im not much of a paint guy...mostly just a wash and wax....this was my first time claying, but i want peak performance and efficiency, metals to be oiled and just keep lasting.

IMO there is more to tending to a house than cutting the grass and taking out the trash. It seems to go on forever, doesn't it?

Like a garden. Just drop a seed and sprinkle dirt on topof it.. Yes, but then there is the perfect time to germinate it, plant it, water it, feed it, prune it and so on and so forth..

Thank you if youmade it this far!

When it's time for claying my vehicles, I do it during the wash job. Mix the car soap a little thicker than normal and after a panel has been cleaned, soap it back up,and clay away. There's no drag to speak of as I'm quite generous with the washing solution. After drying the car, here comes the wax. Quick and easy.

And I hate dragging something as filthy as politics into such a decent clean sophisticated forum as bitog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back