2014 Honda Accord Sport -- Unknown Oil -- 8.2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted here in awhile but thought this might be interesting to some folks. We bought a new 2014 Accord Sport (CVT) last year and have already put a good amount of mileage on it. The dealership we bought it from included 6 free oil changes. At first I thought, "Awesome!" As per the manual (and common sense), we waited until the MMI indicated to change the oil and my fiance brought it in for the first oil change.

Upon hearing that we waited until the maintenance minder indicated to change the oil, the service adviser admonished my fiance for waiting that long insisting that she should have brought it in after 5k miles. She knew better and tried to explain what the MMI is, but the adviser's reply was "You don't want to f!@#$ with that." After hearing all of this, I knew that'd be the last time we took it in for service there. Not only that, but they said and indicated on the service order that it was filled (overfilled actually) with "Mobil 1 0w20".

I thought it was odd that a Honda dealership wouldn't use Honda oil, but whatever. They did use a Honda filter.

So 8200 miles later the MMI gets down to 10% so I change the oil and filter and fill it with synthetic Honda 0w20. I really wanted to get an analysis done just to see if it would be possible to figure out if what they put in was really Mobil 1 or something else. Blackstone had this to say:

accord_uoa.png

I'm way out of my league when it comes to identifying additive packs, so you all will hopefully give me a hand-- any chance this was Mobil 1 or are they full of it?
smirk.gif

It could be Mobil 1, the high moly is a good sign. I would expect to see a little more Boron though. The calcium, zinc and phosphorus look typical.

This is the most recent VOA we have of Mobil 1 0w20, amd it's using a different detergent package with calcium and magnesium instead of high calcium, but they probably changed it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2243763

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I would continue to get my free oil changes. Why shoot yourself in the foot to teach him a lesson? Ed

I agree. Oil change at Honda dealer(it's free after all) is the best way to have in case if you have problem with the engine during warranty. As long as you have oil change before MM went down to zero, Honda can't deny warranty coverage for the engine.

Doesn't matter what service writer says, just schedule free oil change when MM went down to 15%.

I would call the dealership and ask for a manager and tell him what the service writer said. That or call Honda of America and lodge a complaint.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It could be Mobil 1, the high moly is a good sign. I would expect to see a little more Boron though. The calcium, zinc and phosphorus look typical.

This is the most recent VOA we have of Mobil 1 0w20, amd it's using a different detergent package with calcium and magnesium instead of high calcium, but they probably changed it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2243763

I disagree. M1 0-20 has about half the moly that this oil has.

This is not Mobil 1. Not Honda Blend by CP either, it has much more boron and not as much moly, it has a stronger ZDDP package also.

Don't know, might guess a she'll produce as it is similar to QSUD. Hey, the could have scammed her like the appletree honda place did on my side of nc... $82 for Castrol syn blend. She called them out on it too but nada.

I second the idea to send honda corporate a message...

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I would call the dealership and ask for a manager and tell him what the service writer said. That or call Honda of America and lodge a complaint.

And why on earth would you want to do that? File a complaint over a free oil change? We know the service writer is in error, but what good would come of filing a complaint? If anything, I want the service writer in my corner so to speak if there is a problem in the future.

Use the free oil changes, smile when the service writer says 5k OCI, and move on. I remember a guy getting his Jeep warranty revoked after giving the dealership a poor rating on a survey.

^^^^^Good points. Don't waste your time calling over a free oil change. For whatever reason(s), don't trust them to do it again, don't go back. Yeah the service writer 5k thing was bunk, but so what. In one ear and out the other. Though for the FF, I'd probably agree just because I'd want wear metals out at that point, but that's 'just me'.

Whatever the oil the report looks respectable. I too would use the 'free' OC's and if I wanted to go by the MM, as said just smile at the 5k recommendation, and drive on.

And you might need this dealer at some point for real warranty claim. No need to poke the bear over free OCs.

Thanks for all the comments and points. I'm not going back to that dealer because of the customer service (this wasn't our only bad experience)-- too bad the free oil changes aren't transferable.

Quote:
And why on earth would you want to do that? File a complaint over a free oil change? We know the service writer is in error, but what good would come of filing a complaint? If anything, I want the service writer in my corner so to speak if there is a problem in the future.

Really?

It would be filing a complaint for being incompetent and rude to a customer. Any dealer who valued their customer's trust would not tolerate such conduct and take action to remedy the situation. I would also push the issue of what oil was put in the car, because it ain't Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Moly:
The initial honda fills are high moly. A dealership change isn't going to get all the original oil out, so there's a percentage of Factory fill in there that can throw things off.

I wouldn't buy too much into the dealer using M1 instead of Honda oil, Dealerships aren't owned by honda, so it's not that weird.

Regarding the remaining 5 oil changes and OCI.
If the thing is they got 5 more free oil changes to go, that you just want to burn off anyway, you can just knock them out at 5k intervals or 8k intervals or whatever.

It seems like the dealer free oilchanges are just about valueless and with the hassle or interaction it seems the OP is actually valuing them at less than zero value and it's a pain for you to use them.

Different people have different personalities and what they want to do with their time. I'm in the Write things off category and apply my time and efforts to find alternates within MY control. Versus people who want to speak up and get others to change things to their satisfaction.
Both approaches are valid; people are different, and different people are fine to have different opinions and outcomes.

Last edited:
The real issue here is the dealership is being dishonest with the customer. The oil put in the car is not a M1 formula. So they lied.
The grief from the service advisor is inexcusable and another lie.

The way to deal with it is to challenge them...not doing so makes them bolder.

They would be pleased not to have me for a customer, because I would put them thru the wringer. No way I would put up with that nonsense.

Originally Posted By: vvolcano

I thought it was odd that a Honda dealership wouldn't use Honda oil, but whatever. They did use a Honda filter.

So 8200 miles later the MMI gets down to 10% so I change the oil and filter and fill it with synthetic Honda 0w20. I really wanted to get an analysis done just to see if it would be possible to figure out if what they put in was really Mobil 1 or something else./

It is actually uncommon for a car dealer to use the manufacturer's branded oils in their service operations. Getting a Honda filter and a major brand motor oil is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back