missing center blocks in new Ecopia EP422+ tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ordered them from DTD on their last rebates/discounts. the deal was good (under $50 per tire).

i expected this (picture from tirerack):

bs_ecoep422pl_pdptrd.jpg

and got this (in size 195/60R15). what happened?

75920_DSCN0403.jpg

Pictures are representative and they don't mold every size exactly the same.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pictures are representative and they don't mold every size exactly the same.

A lot of people forget this

This is precisely why I still haven't bought tires online. I want to see exactly what I'm getting put on my vehicle. I use the online sites for reviews, and a price guide. Maybe some day...

wider sizes have more groups of blocks.. as you get thinner you eventually have to ditch a group of tread.

Its fairly odd as you usually want an almost solid tread in the center... but overall I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited:
The DTD image is the same as Tire Rack. It's hard to believe there's than much difference in design in different sizes. Have you talked to DTD about it?

That doesn't even look like the EP422(no +)

Last edited:
I purchased the Bridgstone Ecopia EP422 for my wife's 2012 Accord opinion January when they were running a $75 dollar discount with the purchase of 4 tires. Her car takes a 215/60/16 and I just confirmed that our tire tread pattern matches the image from the site you posted. I would agree with the others that your tire size is the reason why you are missing a "block " of tread.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Check the speed rating too. Sometimes higher spped ratings get a different pattern like you are showing.

Yep, T rated tires usually have different tread then H rated and above.

It is not uncommon for the exact tread pattern to be slightly different from tire size to tire size. That's because things don't always scale up and scale down properly. So everyone should anticipate that a tire line might have 4 or 5 or 6 ribs depending on the size - and only one photo is made to represent them all.

Don't forget that groove wander is an issue and the spacing of the grooves is very important to prevent this. That may be what is driving this.

In general, if a tire's tread pattern varies from 4 to 5 ribs, it's around this width (195mm) that the design will change. For instance, in the old Michelin Harmony/X Radial line, all 185-series and narrower tires had 4 ribs and all 195-series and wider tires had 5 ribs.

With this particular Bridgestone, it looks like that breakpoint is at the 195/205 series point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back