Rod Knock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Can you describe the noise? Does it go away when warm? Does it get louder upon accelerating? I ask because some can confuse rod knock with piston slap, it can be hard to tell sometimes. My Accord has piston slap and it could be confused by some to be a "knock", but piston slap is pretty harmless.

Edit: also, what is the service history? How long have you owned it. It just seems odd for any car without a defect to get rod knock with such low mileage.

I was going to ask this, too. Spend some more time diagnosing to be sure what the problem is, then make a plan to fix it.

If it is a rod bearing, I wouldn't just replace the bearing and be done with it. It would probably fail again in a short time. If the crank journal is rough, or if the rod big end is mis-sized, the bearing won't survive. In this situation, getting a new crank and rod set may be the best way to go.

Another diagnostic question: Did the oil pressure decrease when the noise started?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
In this situation, getting a new crank and rod set may be the best way to go.

New parts aren't always better. Most aftermarket parts are of lesser quality. Just turn the one damaged throw.

Put the motor honey in first. It could run for years with thicker oil if its not too bad off.

Since it's an 06 it only has VCM if it's a FWD.

Merk, sawdust works in differentials (temporarily), not engines.

Since the OP got shut down for language in the best Pilot forum, I guess he has to handle the problem here.

The reason the OP is not getting the answer he wants is because this is not a SBC, almost no one does lower end work on the Honda 3.5L. It can be done but as an option it is NOT cost effective. You buy a refurb short block or a used engine or a new engine and swap it in. But he wants to do crank work, so go ahead and do crank work, go ask a machine shop (and stop bothering non-machinist forums.) A good machine shop will give you a quote and send you on your way.

But, once again I have to question the diagnosis, even if it comes from a trusted shop-lower end knock is almost unheard of in Pilots. They have their share of problems but his, I think, is the first for the Pilot forum in over a decade of operation. The closest case I can think of is a guy where the previous owner ran their Pilot out of oil. It had other deferred maintenance issues and was junked.

I have a few relevant questions- what is the maintenance history on this engine? Have you gotten another shop to look at it? Have you priced used lower-mileage blocks?

One more thing- there are plenty of Ridgeline owners pushing 300K on 5w-20. Trying to blame that oil grade here on BITOG is trolling in the first degree.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Super Tech 20W50 and an Orange Can Of Delight.

I would not be spending another oil change on that motor!!! Just a bottle of STP is as far as I would go, if it is rod knock, the clock is ticking.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: 392HEMI
Hi, our POS Honda has a rod knock after 100k. Besides the obvious of replacing a $1000 crank shaft in a tired engine. WHAT IS THE BEST HALF [censored] WAY TO QUITE IT DOWN? Honda specs 5w-20 for this poor engine,,

where do you live in Southern Indiana? Im also from the area.

As another member said if it truly is a rod knock it is possible a new bearing could be rolled into it.

Local engine builders told me not to bother with trying that. It was explained to me the tolerances are so tight sudden failure likely. Also, the noise will remain since the crank is f-ed up. There are real nice engines available from Japan with 50k on them for $2500. If you shop around for new short blocks from Honda they are just under $3000. My wife decided she would rather walk away.

Originally Posted By: 392HEMI
Local engine builders told me not to bother with trying that.

Of course he did. He wants to make money.

There is a good chance a new bearing with thicker oil will last as long as you want to keep the car. The crank and rod do not get torn up until the condition gets really bad.

It depends on how easy it is to drop the pan. If it's really easy, why not give it a shot?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back