Is THIS piston slap on these two Camry's

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many reasons - including the one you mentioned - it's just the way they are nowadays.

Honda V6s are also piston slappers. There were a few where I live (people have since moved) and where I work - they all make the same piston slap noise in the cold.

In general, engines seem to be a little noisier than they once were. That said, I never noticed audible slapping on my 2011's 2.5L engine. Course, I traded it with less than 20k miles, so maybe it hadn't set in yet.

I agree that today the all aluminum engines are much noisier than the cast iron lunks of yesteryear. High pressure fuel injection, other emmissions devices playing a role in the cacophany.

Those Toyota 4-cyl engines seem to be noisy, particularly during cold starts. Several of my neighbors have the new gen Camry and that's what I've noticed.

I do not think I have noticed too much noise, althoughh at times I think the vvt is a bit loud when cold on my Camry.

But those engines sound dead quiet compared to my diesel!

sounds like your typical run of the mill toyota 4 banger which will outlast most peoples lifetimes.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Two videos of Camry's doing their slapping. Is this "just how they are?" Because about every one I've heard, Including my '13 I4cyl., does it. After their anti wear coating wears off of course, must be the nature of the beast with short piston skirts hey???

2015 Camry Slap Video

2012 Camry Piston Slap Video

But what oil are they using?

You should make a video of a first of the morning cold startup with the camera inside the engine bay. Any piston slap I've ever heard only lasts a few seconds immediately upon cold startup,never an ongoing noise like in your video.

not piston slap, just noisy toyota engines. some of them are noisier then others. BTW, when toyota advertised benefits of 0w20 oils, lower engine noise was not among them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
To me, those sound exactly like a 4 cylinder Camry. It's not a luxury car.

they put the same engines in lexus, more sound deadening, though.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
To me, those sound exactly like a 4 cylinder Camry. It's not a luxury car.

they put the same engines in lexus, more sound deadening, though.

And the Lexus vehicles it goes in are not flagship type cars. I think they just use four bangers in their hybrids.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
sounds like your typical run of the mill toyota 4 banger which will outlast most peoples lifetimes.

Exactly, sounds pretty normal to me. The K24 in my Honda is a slapper too, no worries though. Just how they are.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
What do you consider a luxury car?

Something along the lines of a Lexus LS would be a good example.

Only so much NVH/engine noise refinement can be expected of a four cylinder, mainstream sedan that has to make a thousand other compromises to succeed in its class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back